• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Angus Reid poll to run

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Should Canada be continuing to contribute troops to NATO's mission in Afghanistan?
http://rm.angusreidforum.com/?cid=46&rs=GgEnAF

As of 1400 July 26:

Yes 47%
No 53%

Mark
Ottawa

Should Canada be continuing to contribute troops to NATO's mission in Afghanistan? 
YES 47%   

NO 53%

Come on folks time to hit the buttons  ;)

YES 47%

NO 53%

Can't be working right.  :mad:

YES 47%   

NO 53%   

And still the same figures after my yes vote.  : ::)

Drummy

Still the same after my vote too - knowing angus reid, probably fixed.

:cdn:
Hawk

guess what...0830 EDT 27 July

YES 47%   

NO 53%   

I sat on this website and hammered the yes button a few dozen times....... result another "accurate sample 19 times out of 20, of the opinions of Canadians"
Results: No change!!
Yes 47%
No 53%
Pollsters suck!!

And apparently the last Angus Reid poll was:

In your view, is the Canadian mission in Afghanistan...

31% A Peace Mission 57% A War Mission

I suspect they are leading up to something.

Cheers,

CAW

Do they actually publish web poll results as legitimate findings? It seems like they'd be so easy to abuse that they really have no statistical weight whatsoever

Angus Reid does conduct scientific public opinion surveys. What you saw first (the Yes/No question) is a link to a "web-poll" that is clearly labelled as unscientific. Read the disclaimer below: "Please note that these survey results are of website visitors who voluntarily take the survey. These results are not necessarily representative of the larger population."

The scientific surveys conducted by Angus Reid Strategies on Afghanistan can be accessed here:
http://angusreidstrategies.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=news&newsid=83
http://angusreidstrategies.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=news&newsid=67
http://angusreidstrategies.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=news&newsid=47

This document explains how the polls are conducted.
http://www.angusreidstrategies.com/uploads/pages/pdfs/ARS.ARF_WHITE_PAPER.pdf

mmccmgg,

Thanks for the explanation. Question though. Are you saying that the Yes/No poll figures do not change unless you take the full survey, and that the percentages shown for that Yes/No poll do not accurately depict the respondents to that portion of the poll ( the simple Yes/No answer)?

YES 47%

NO 53%

It's a fixed poll.        ::)

recceguy,

The Yes/No figures on the "web-poll" can indeed change, but they would still be unscientific, as people can vote from anywhere, anytime. The numbers reflect the views of those who have voted, but some could have voted several times.

In the scientific surveys, it's one opinion per person, tracking the IP address to make sure that no person can "vote" twice (in the same way you would not call a person twice in a telephone-based poll).

mmccmgg said:
recceguy,

The Yes/No figures on the "web-poll" can indeed change, but they would still be unscientific, as people can vote from anywhere, anytime. The numbers reflect the views of those who have voted, but some could have voted several times.

In the scientific surveys, it's one opinion per person, tracking the IP address to make sure that no person can "vote" twice (in the same way you would not call a person twice in a telephone-based poll).

Thanks. Please check your PMs

Ok - first of all - I hate polls and polling firms.

That said, I'm willing to try the Angus Reid thing online, so I signed up. It was almost verbatim like the polls I did on Fridays at Ipsos Reid. It was called the Omnibus poll, conducted weekly on a variety of subjects. Took me right back to the nightmare of a Friday night shift. We hated doing it, and it was really hard to talk someone into doing the poll, hard as we tried, much as we argued with the respondent till they agreed, had us put them on the DNC list, or swore at us and hung up. And I got told I didn't try hard enough to keep them on the line!

We'll see just how legitimate this is.

Incidently, if any of the rest of you join me, there's an ethnicity question, and it won't take a refuse response. That's illegal in Canada.

:cdn:
Hawk

YES 47%   

NO 53%   

Thanks for your answer. We want to know what you think about many issues like this one. Join Now

Its definately rigged or maybe just stuffed up. I got no love from it and it still says 47% to 53%.
Maybe someone should write a letter to The Times?

YES 47%     

NO 53%

Back