• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anira_09's Thread - New Service Wife with Husband Away on Course

Anira_09

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello
Im sorry to bother but i would like to know if you can give us some advise....
My husband is going as sonar op after his bmq. He graduates 26 August 2016 and after that he should be going to Esquimalt. We have to kids (2 and 1 years old) and I'm really stress of our future like a family. I know that he will be 5 weeks training fleet school and after that 25 weeks sonar op. He is from Quebec , he is good in English but maybe he will taking some second language class...... How long till we will be allow to move over there??? We really have to wait till his training is over??? If we don't count the time that he will be on PAt, we are talking about almost a year apart. Any possibilities that we can move sooner???
Thanks for ur answers....

He "COULD" ask for a PMQ if the wait time is OVER a year. 

Nothing is sure , depends on a LOT of different options. 

I will be doing this exact process in about 2 weeks in Borden .... so I can't tell you exactly what the exact timeframe can be.

You can also use the search function on this site , I know this question was asked quite often and a lot of the answers are already up on this forum !

By the way , welcome to the dark side ;) !

Anira_09 said:
Hello
Im sorry to bother but i would like to know if you can give us some advise....
My husband is going as sonar op after his bmq. He graduates 26 August 2016 and after that he should be going to Esquimalt. We have to kids (2 and 1 years old) and I'm really stress of our future like a family. I know that he will be 5 weeks training fleet school and after that 25 weeks sonar op. He is from Quebec , he is good in English but maybe he will taking some second language class...... How long till we will be allow to move over there??? We really have to wait till his training is over??? If we don't count the time that he will be on PAt, we are talking about almost a year apart. Any possibilities that we can move sooner???
Thanks for ur answers....

Due to a recent change in CAF relocations policies earlier this year (Feb/Mar 16) and as they apply to applicants recently enrolled (ie; BTL not occupation qualified), a relocation at "public expense" will most likely not be approved until your spouse completes their training and are posted for first time employment.

If you are married or single with children and are contemplating a career with the CAF, do not expect to be relocated with your family until after completion of both Basic and initial occupation training, which can range anywhere from 6-18 months depending on the occupation.

DAA said:
Due to a recent change in CAF relocations policies earlier this year (Feb/Mar 16) and as they apply to applicants recently enrolled (ie; BTL not occupation qualified), a relocation at "public expense" will most likely not be approved until your spouse completes their training and are posted for first time employment.

If you are married or single with children and are contemplating a career with the CAF, do not expect to be relocated with your family until after completion of both Basic and initial occupation training, which can range anywhere from 6-18 months depending on the occupation.

Any chance I can get a copy of this policy change?

I have a couple of pilots working for me who will be going to Moose Jaw soon. The way pilot training is, with long delays between courses, they might be there for well over a year, if not 2 or 3. One of them is married with two kids, are they suppose to just wait here while he sits on a runway with a flare gun waiting for course?

Welcome to Military life. This is very common. From the time my spouse went to BMQ until the time he was done all of his initial training and received a posting was 14 months. Unfortunately it doesn't end there! Along with courses, exercises and deployments - you will find yourself alone pretty often. The best thing you can do is be independent and supportive for him because you are at least at home and with your children. He is away from you, your home, and your children. Wish you both all the best in this new adventure!

For some reason I hope that Borden will let me have my common-law wife with me , but I HIGHLY doubt it .... guess I'll live in shacks and stay there. 

Krimynal: Your wife can join you in Borden (at your own expense of course). You and her could have your own place (off base) but you would still technically have a room in the shacks too because you would have to be included with inspections and everything that goes on during your course.

That may, or may not, be the case for people proceeding on trg that will last over 364 days (the max length for TD or AP).  I'd like to see the policy change to be sure of the current state for CFSATE students, but prior to this change, some (for sure) were being approved for moves and PMQs.

Well I'll apply on the 24Th and I will see what the CoC over there tells me ,

Right now it's all guess and hopes.  I'll see , if I have to live off base than so be it .... but I'll still ask if it's possible to get a PMQ ( would be way easier that way )

Cash87 said:
Krimynal: Your wife can join you in Borden (at your own expense of course). You and her could have your own place (off base) but you would still technically have a room in the shacks too because you would have to be included with inspections and everything that goes on during your course.

You do understand the RISKS associated with doing such a thing I hope?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch11.page#art-11-01-02

***Example - You enrol from CFRC Calgary and upon completion of Basic Trg are posted to Borden for initial occupation trg.  You elect to move your family at your own expense from Calgary to Borden.  You complete your occupation training and are then posted to Edmonton for first time employment.  The funding for the relocation of your (D)HG&E would be calculated based on a move from Calgary to Edmonton and NOT Borden to Edmonton.  As a result, you could find yourself "out of pocket" for some relocation expenses.

so DAA what you mean to tell me is that I should apply for a PMQ and move with the air-force regulation , otherwise wait for the posting in about 1-2 years  because I might get out of money quite fast if I move on my own terms ?

When you get to CFSATE, request your posting restriction to be removed, so you can have your CLS (Common Law Spouse), D HG & E moved at public expense.  If that gets approved, then you can talk to CFHA about the PMQ option.

IF your request is approved, then you would have been moved 'by the CAF' to Borden and would be able to move from Borden to your first unit upon completion of trg 'by the CAF' again. 

make sense?

Wow :(
Not good news!!
I was hoping that we qill be able to move with him. Will be really hard for the kids and of course me but i will be a big girl. So i should start saving money for plane tickets hein??? :(
I will telle him to apoly for a PMQ arriving at Esquimalt and lets hope for the best.
Its kind of weird that having just to navy bases he wont be knowing  sooner where he will be posting at 😕😕😕😕😕

Cash87 said:
Welcome to Military life. This is very common. From the time my spouse went to BMQ until the time he was done all of his initial training and received a posting was 14 months. Unfortunately it doesn't end there! Along with courses, exercises and deployments - you will find yourself alone pretty often. The best thing you can do is be independent and supportive for him because you are at least at home and with your children. He is away from you, your home, and your children. Wish you both all the best in this new adventure!
Im really independent already but im thinking more about the kids. My husband is afraid that they will forget about him and that make me sad. They are small kids 2 and 1 so its hard. But will be ok. Thanks for ur anwers!!!! :)

krimynal said:
so DAA what you mean to tell me is that I should apply for a PMQ and move with the air-force regulation , otherwise wait for the posting in about 1-2 years  because I might get out of money quite fast if I move on my own terms ?

You can absolutely give it a try and ask for a PMQ but the last I heard was that they would no longer entertain these type of requests.  Regulations are regulations and for the most part, they apply universally across all of the CAF.  You could relocate your family at your own expense but you need to be made aware of the "risks" associated with doing something like this.

Eye In The Sky said:
When you get to CFSATE, request your posting restriction to be removed, so you can have your CLS (Common Law Spouse), D HG & E moved at public expense.  If that gets approved, then you can talk to CFHA about the PMQ option.

IF your request is approved, then you would have been moved 'by the CAF' to Borden and would be able to move from Borden to your first unit upon completion of trg 'by the CAF' again. 

What Eye in The Sky has mentioned above, are the exact procedures that were in effect and your more than welcome to try and do this once you arrive in Borden.  It never hurts to ask!

Hello me again
Finally he will be graduating this week 25 August ( yayyyyyy im really proud) He is from Quebec so he specks french and he is so so in English. At first he was told that, after graduation, he has to go to Esquimalt (sonar op) for his second language courses, marine and his ql3 but now he will be doing his second language in st jean (I'm happy for that)
So my question is:
He has to stay in the base all the time?
We live a 30 min away, can he come home to sleep?
Are we allow to ask for a Pmq? I know that all this answer will soon come but I'm i like to be a bit ahead of things. I need to get organized  in advance (small children and i have full time job)
Thank you

Anira_09 said:
Hello me again
Finally he will be graduating this week 25 August ( yayyyyyy im really proud) He is from Quebec so he specks french and he is so so in English. At first he was told that, after graduation, he has to go to Esquimalt (sonar op) for his second language courses, marine and his ql3 but now he will be doing his second language in st jean (I'm happy for that)
So my question is:
He has to stay in the base all the time?
We live a 30 min away, can he come home to sleep?
Are we allow to ask for a Pmq? I know that all this answer will soon come but I'm i like to be a bit ahead of things. I need to get organized  in advance (small children and i have full time job)
Thank you

I cannot say if they will let him make his "official" residence at your home, or if he must continue to use the Mega as his "official" residence; however,

Second Language Training (SLT) is not like BMQ. On SLT, they treat you like an adult. He's free to come and go from the base as he pleases. They will tell you that class starts at 0800 in this classroom, and it goes until 1600. So as long he shows up on time, in proper dress, clean shaven with a haircut, you're fine. So at 1600, if he wants to leave the base to drive home and spend the night at home, that's fine, as long as he 1. he gets up and shows up to work on time, and 2. the room that he has at the Mega stays clean and in good order.

This would probably be a discussion he should have with his instructor(s) as well so that they are in the loop as to where he will be residing.

NS

Back