• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anira_09's Thread - New Service Wife with Husband Away on Course

Hi
My husband just graduated from his bmq the 25 August, he is staying here in Quebec for his second language training. They gave him a room till August 2017, after that he should be leaving to Esquimalt to continue his training (sonar op)
We are from Quebec so we are living in rent a house close to my work and the kindergarden. My husband is allow to sleep at home everynight and the mornings he drives 35 min to go to st jean. All is good and we are happy to have him longer with us.
My question is: Are we allow to ask for a pmq? I called to ask and I explained all this to the lady, she asked me if wu will be moving with him at esquimalt and i told her: no, we are not allow till he finish his ql3. Then she told me YES, we are allow to ask for a pmq, she sent a email with the aplication form yo my husband.
My husband asked at st jean and looks like he is not allow.
Anybody can help me with this?

Thank you :)

Hello

So after doing his BMQ and his second language training at St-jean, my husband, will continue his way to becoming a Sonar Op.
He  will be driving till Esquimalt from Montreal,  so i will love to know if anybody could give him some road tips, some experiences advise, etc.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anira_09 said:
He  will be driving till Esquimalt from Montreal,  so i will love to know if anybody could give him some road tips, some experiences advise, etc.

The Going To Esquimalt Thread- PAT, PMQ, Etc.- Merged
https://army.ca/forums/threads/25824.75
6 pages.

Yes, I already check that. I was hoping for some tips on the road. Hotels recommend, places to stop, etc. Thanks anyways :)

Anira_09 said:
Yes, I already check that. I was hoping for some tips on the road. Hotels recommend, places to stop, etc. Thanks anyways :)

Take the northern trans Canada route from Montreal (A15, I believe).  It's the quickest way across country.  Stop in Cochrane.  Expect a 9 - 11 hour day.  The next day, drive to Thunder Bay, and stop there.  Try to get to the area around Nipigon in the daylight - beautiful.  Expect a 7 - 9 hour day.  Youl could also do this all in one stretch, while switching drivers.  I drove 24 hours straight from Ottawa to Winnipeg going mostly the same route.  The road is generally in good condition and has ample passing lanes.  The exception is from Thunder Bay to Kenora.  I found the westward trip there to be frustrating, as there weren't quite enough passing lanes for the traffic.

Note: if you instead choose to go through Ottawa and Saulte Ste Marie on Kings Highway 17, you do not want to be driving at night.  There are more moose than people, and they all hang out on the highway.  Fog is also common. 

You can also go to Saulte Ste Marie and cross into the US and go from there to hit I90.  I'd personally recommend the drive through Canada, as it's only 22kms more and doesn't involve the hastle of border crossings. 

Alternatively, you can go the entire way on the 401 and interstate system.  It is longer, but has a shorter total time by 2 - 3 hours.  I think the drive through Canada is fine, and not worth the effort of crossing the border just for a drive.

Spend the next day driving to Regina.  It's a 12 - 14 hour day.  From East of Winnipeg on, the drive is flat and very uneventful.  From just past the Manitoba border on, the road is 4 lanes and in good condition.  You can avoid Winnipeg to the North or South (south is shorter) but you will still encounter multiple traffic lights in Manitoba. 

The next day, plan to drive the 10 - 12 hours to Golden BC.  The road is 4 lanes all the way to the Alberta BC border.  It has also been twinned through much of the Kicking Horse Canyon just East of Golden.  It's a very beautiful area.  You can avoid Calgary to the north on the new freeway if you want.

From Golden, plan to drive to Vancouver.  It's not a bad drive.  From Kamloops on you're on a freeway, and there are multiple sections that have been upgraded to 4 lanes between Golden and Kamloops.  There are also ample passing lanes.  The rest I have no idea about, as I've never done the crossing or been to Vancouver Island.  All in all from Montreal to Vancouver you're looking about about 48 hours of driving.

jmt18325 said:
Take the northern trans Canada route from Montreal (A15, I believe).  It's the quickest way across country.  Stop in Cochrane.  Expect a 9 - 11 hour day.  The next day, drive to Thunder Bay, and stop there.  Try to get to the area around Nipigon in the daylight - beautiful.  Expect a 7 - 9 hour day.  Youl could also do this all in one stretch, while switching drivers.  I drove 24 hours straight from Ottawa to Winnipeg going mostly the same route.  The road is generally in good condition and has ample passing lanes.  The exception is from Thunder Bay to Kenora.  I found the westward trip there to be frustrating, as there weren't quite enough passing lanes for the traffic.

Note: if you instead choose to go through Ottawa and Saulte Ste Marie on Kings Highway 17, you do not want to be driving at night.  There are more moose than people, and they all hang out on the highway.  Fog is also common.  You can also go to Saulte Ste Marie and cross into the US and go from there to hit I90.  I'd personally recommend the drive through Canada, as it's only 9kms more and doesn't involve the hastle of border crossings.  You can also go the entire way on the 401 and interstate system.  It is longer, but has a shorter total time by 2 - 3 hours.  I think the drive through Canada is fine, and not worth the effort of crossing the border just for a drive.

Spend the next day driving to Regina.  It's a 12 - 14 hour day.  From East of Winnipeg on, the drive is flat and very uneventful.  From just past the Manitoba border on, the road is 4 lanes and in good condition.  You can avoid Winnipeg to the North or South (south is shorter) but you will still encounter multiple traffic lights in Manitoba. 

The next day, plan to drive the 10 - 12 hours to Golden BC.  The road is 4 lanes all the way to the Alberta BC border.  It has also been twinned through much of the Kicking Horse Canyon just East of Golden.  It's a very beautiful area.  You can avoid Calgary to the north on the new freeway if you want.

From Golden, plan to drive to Vancouver.  It's not a bad drive.  From Kamloops on you're on a freeway, and there are multiple sections that have been upgraded to 4 lanes between Golden and Kamloops.  There are also ample passing lanes.  The rest I have no idea about, as I've never done the crossing or been to Vancouver Island.  All in all from Montreal to Vancouver you're looking about about 48 hours of driving.
Wowwwwww thanks a lot!!!!!!
They told him that he must drive from 8am to 4pm and a max of 500km par day. I suppose that this is just a advise and not a rule right???

That might be a rule for them - I'm not in the military, so I wouldn't know.  It would make sense if he's driving as part of work and getting paid.  That's going to make it a 9 day trip though - not fun.

To do the 500 kms per day, I'd recommend going via highway 17:

Montreal - North Bay (554kms)
North Bay - Saulte Ste Marie (436 kms)
Saulte Ste Mare - Thunder Bay (706 kms) - not much way around that one, is there isn't all that much in between.
Thunder Bay - Kenora (489 kms)
Kenora - Brandon (433 kms)
Brandon - Swift Current (606 kms)
Swift Current - Calgary (516 kms)
Calgary - Salmon Arm (511 kms)
Salmon Arm - Vancouver (462 kms)

Yeesh.

I've did the cross country trip at least a dozen times, four times on posting. I usually travelled through the US, crossing at Sarnia or Detroit and going under Chicago then across the Dakotas. The US is cheaper, has four lane highways nearly all the way, and is better serviced at the various Interstate highway exits (more choice of motels, hotels, restaurants, and even tourist attractions, if he wants to stop at Mount Rushmore, for example). Crossing Canada is long, isolated, awfully boring, and mostly on (more dangerous) two lane highways.

He will have to ask the Relocation group about how much travelling he can do. Previously he would have been able to drive as much as he wanted, and claim the full allocation of nights. Now they may well control it more. I think it will largely depend whether his move is being administered by Brookfield (more anal about entitlements) or by military clerks, who may allow him more leverage. I was able to stay in one spot for two nights in a row if I wanted, claiming the same hotel for two nights and making up the drive time on the other days. My hotel stays just had to add up to the total allocation (actually it could have been even longer, I would have had to make up the extra nights out of pocket). That was useful if you wanted to visit family along the way. I think that is no longer possible if Brookfield is administering the move.

Really, your husband needs to sit with the Clerks and ask open questions about what he can and cannot do, what is claimable and what is not claimable. The Clerks aren't the same as Directing Staff, he should not be shy about asking them questions about his entitlements.

jmt18325 said:
To do the 500 kms per day, I'd recommend going via highway 17:

Montreal - North Bay (554kms)
North Bay - Saulte Ste Marie (436 kms)
Saulte Ste Mare - Thunder Bay (706 kms) - not much way around that one, is there isn't all that much in between.
Thunder Bay - Kenora (489 kms)
Kenora - Brandon (433 kms)
Brandon - Swift Current (606 kms)
Swift Current - Calgary (516 kms)
Calgary - Salmon Arm (511 kms)
Salmon Arm - Vancouver (462 kms)

Yeesh.
This is really helpful!!! Thanks!!!!!

Anira_09 said:
They told him that he must drive from 8am to 4pm and a max of 500km par day.

The OP may, or may not, find these discussions of interest,

Limited to travelling 500km for temporary duty travel 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/120213.0

New Distance Limits - PMV travel 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113898.0

500 KM per day,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+500+km+per+day&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=QtjPWJ2qGcOC8Qfc5K3gBg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=245

etc...

Anira_09 said:
I suppose that this is just a advise and not a rule right???

Log Offr said:
He will have to ask the Relocation group about how much travelling he can do.

Log Offr said:
Really, your husband needs to sit with the Clerks and ask open questions about what he can and cannot do, what is claimable and what is not claimable.

:goodpost:

Anira_09, you may wish to consider the source of this advice,
http://milnet.ca/forums/members/19840

Anira_09 said:
Wowwwwww thanks a lot!!!!!!
They told him that he must drive from 8am to 4pm and a max of 500km par day. I suppose that this is just a advise and not a rule right???

The daily "limit" is simply a means to calculate entitlement (i.e. the number of days you're allocated to make the trip).  The numbers are actually 500 km for the first day and 800 for subsequent days.  The distances he actually drives each day is largely up to him.

Thanks for the answer. He will for sure respect the 500km, I want him to arrive there in one piece [emoji4]

For reference, perhaps,

Driving from Montreal to Esquimalt 

will be merged with,

Limited to travelling 500km for temporary duty travel 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/120213.0
OP: "Now I realize we are not required or obligated to travel more than 500km but if we choose to are we allowed to?"

CountDC said:
Now the question is - which do you go by?  The CFTDI,  the Driver Policies or do they actually work in concert?

This is an ongoing issue I have had for several years and do not take lightly as I attended briefings in Ottawa in which it was mentioned that a member exceeding the 500 kms and having an accident could find themselves in a world of hurt.  Implications were that the member be found at fault, liable for injuries and damages and it may be viewed as you were not on duty which would  possibly impact benefits entitled to by injuries on duty, especially if med released.  It was explicit that the CFTDIs were black and white with no leeway.

The problem I run into is that some people view the CFTDIs as only a guideline with lots of leeway to meet the intent and not a hard rule.  I cannot begin to count the number of times I have heard "but the driver manual says they can drive 800 kms" (didn't see that in the link though I am sure it used to be in there) or 550kms meets the intent of the CFTDI for safety.  I am sure now they will push that you can drive a lot further than 500 kms in 13 hours.

1. Do you stick with the CFTDIs 500 kms (I do, not risking it when I have a family to support)
2. Driver Policy of 13 hours regardless of distance
3. How about both - 500kms or 13 hours which ever comes first (stop laughing, we actually had somone take close to that for slightly over 500kms through the mountains.) 
4. How about CFTDIs apply when on TD (thus the name) while the Drivers Policy actually applies to Drivers on the job (ie Base TPT)
5. If you have a co-driver and switch off does it change anything (you drive 500, he drives 500)?

Have yet to receive the same answer twice and although I requested it go to Ottawa for policy clarification through my chain of command I have not heard back and do not believe it was sent higher.

and

New Distance Limits - PMV travel 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113898.0
OP: "I thought the distances were changing to 800 km the first day and 500 km per day after that."

DAA said:
The 800 km rule was a throw back to times past and has since been superseded. (the only time you see the 800 km today, is on LTA claims)

Nowadays, when on TD, the only time kilometric mileage comes into play is for POMV Cost Comparisons it is a flat calculation.  500 km (one way) = 1 x travel day and for each 500 km or part thereof afterwards, add on "one day of annual leave".

In the case of relocations, travel time is calculated based on "point to point distance" but based on something like this:

a.  1st day of travel - if you work that day or have to do a March Out, etc, then 200 km but if you are starting fresh, then 500 km;

b.  everything after is in multiples of 500

Make sure he brings in all his valuables at night.  We had a member of my section who drove from Esquimalt to Ottawa last summer.  His truck was broken into and his dress uniforms and medals were stolen along with other valuables.  Was in Winnipeg.

jollyjacktar said:
Make sure he brings in all his valuables at night.  We had a member of my section who drove from Esquimalt to Ottawa last summer.  His truck was broken into and his dress uniforms and medals were stolen along with other valuables.  Was in Winnipeg.
Yes, thanks!!! Im really nervous for him but he is really exited about the experience, the view and the road. In the same time its sad because we don't know  when we will see againg. Hoping for the  miracle  that they can move us (2 kids and me) soon to Esquimalt.  We will love that.
Thanks  for all the advise guys.... [emoji4]

He also needs to ask whether he is being posted to Esquimalt, or attached posted. The entitlements are different, and if it isn't a posting, he wouldn't be entitled for reimbursement for the nine day trip. The military would insist he take the most economical means, which is to fly, and then he won't have a car. He would have to use leave (there is another whole thread on what type is authorized for this), to cover off the days not accounted for to drive.

captloadie said:
He also needs to ask whether he is being posted to Esquimalt, or attached posted. The entitlements are different, and if it isn't a posting, he wouldn't be entitled for reimbursement for the nine day trip. The military would insist he take the most economical means, which is to fly, and then he won't have a car. He would have to use leave (there is another whole thread on what type is authorized for this), to cover off the days not accounted for to drive.
Yes, is a posting. They already gave him the money to travel till there. :) but its not alkiw to bring his family with him :(

What we would like to know is when his courses begin?? But all the answers are at Esquimalt looks like. Here at St jean no answer at all.
If he has to be on PAT for six months we are moving over there whit him....

Anira_09 said:
What we would like to know is when his courses begin??

See,

OP: Anira_09
Dates of training 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/122864.0.html
Anira_09 said:
i would like to know when my training for Sonar Op will start?

Back