• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Announcement by the Minister of National Defence at 12 Wing

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Announcement by the Minister of National Defence
MA - 09.012 - March 16, 2009

SHEARWATER, N.S. – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, will make an announcement regarding 12 Wing Shearwater.

WHERE: 12 Wing Shearwater Officer’s Mess Shearwater, N.S.

WHEN: March 17, 2009

TIME: 9:00 a.m. (ADT)

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:

Interested media are requested to confirm their attendance with Joint Task Force Atlantic Public Affairs, at (902) 427-3766. Media must RSVP no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 16, 2009.

Canada’s Government Invests in the Halifax Region Defence Infrastructure Projects
NR – 09.018 - March 17, 2009

HALIFAX, N.S. – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, today announced important developments relating to defence infrastructure projects in the Halifax Region. This investment includes the recently completed renovations of 18 military housing units at 12 Wing Shearwater as well as the planned construction of a new armoury in Bedford NS.

These projects, worth more than $18 million, provide economic benefits in the Halifax region, including generating an estimated 73 direct employment opportunitiesover the course of the projects.

“Today’s announcement demonstrates this government’s commitment to providing our Canadian Forces with the infrastructure they need,” said Minister MacKay.  “Be it a home for the families of our military members, or accommodations for our Military Police units - these significant investments in Canadian Forces infrastructure have and will contribute to the economy of this community.”

The project to significantly renovate 18 housing units at 12 Wing Shearwater started in February 2008. Since that time, the renovations increased the liveable floor area, adding a bedroom, new kitchen and bathroom/powder room, upgraded mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and new exterior cladding and windows, which in some cases involved rebuilding the unit from the foundation up.  The construction contract was awarded through a competitive bid process to Blunden Construction Ltd of Halifax for $3.2 million in January 2008.

In addition, DND is planning for the construction of a new military armoury in Bedford NS.  In preparation for the construction, DND, together with the Department of Justice, is finalizing the purchase of approximately 2 hectares of land to be the site of the future armoury.  The armoury will be home to 3 Military Police Unit Headquarters and 30 Military Police Company.  Construction is expected to start in two years.

DND holds a large number of properties all across the country to support the Canadian Forces, including some 21,000 buildings; 2.2 million hectares of land;  5,400 km of roads; and 3,000 km of water, storm and sewer pipes.

The implementation of CFDS will bring significant benefits here at home.  In addition to a renewed commitment to domestic security, increased investment in defence infrastructure will bring economic benefits to Canadian industry.

Recapitalize 18 DND Housing Units, CFB Shearwater
March 17, 2009

CFBShearwaterHousing.jpg

DND Renovated and upgraded 18 Housing Units for CF members at 12 Wing Shearwater.

Specifications
Overall Cost: The overall project cost inclusive of taxes was $4.6M.
Construction Contract: The construction contract for $3.2 million was awarded to Blunden Construction Ltd of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Construction Start date: Construction began winter 2008
Construction completion date:  The construction project was completed on February 20, 2009
Special Features: Renovations resulted in a 35-50% expanded living space, an additional bedroom, a new kitchen and bathroom/powder room, upgraded mechanical, electrical and plumbing, and new exterior cladding.

I grew up in Shannon Park/ Wallis Heights, familiar with Sheerwater but not current enough to comment on it.  Here is Pet though they sure could of used a major renovation of the PMQ's.  As it stands now though in Pet they are having trouble filling the Q's with married people and alot of single troops are getting out of the shacks by moving into them.  Most of the troops who are here with a tour are opting for a house.  Creating a mini housing boom in the area.  The end result I can forsee being that the PMQ's are becomming strickly young ( early 20's ) and taking on the appearances of slums you really dont want your kids growing up in.  That is too bad as I really enjoyed my childhood growing up in the Q's

Ok my rambling is over.  And By the way I am having trouble using spell check on the work computer possibly due to a error on page message.  Anyone else having that trouble.

That is so great.  We lived in the Q's in Shearwater for a year before moving to Ottawa.  I loved our area *in the lowers*  I just hope the renovations included new insulation.  :D

The ones that were done look great.  The ones that still need it look as *not-great* as they did before.

Maybe the PMQs would look better if people didn't live like pigs ( a few places I drive by everyday come to mind...).

18 is better than none but overall, its only a start. 

Fack.

Has someone called an election that I'm not aware of? I must have missed that writ.

How about we merge these "MND (local economic initiative) announcements" into one thread?

At the rate the Tories are going these days ... womb to tomb isn't far off and all the bandwidth on this site will disappear before I have a chance to see if March goes out like a lion (although ... it should be lambish - I have a sneaking suspicion the myth will be proven wrong!  >:().

PS: Same with all the damn "Basic Training - insert month here" threads happening.

Back