• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Announcing the Battle Procedure Aide Memoire for iPhone/iPad

I concur. Sucks that only people with iPhones can use it, worse off it seems that iPhones are dwindling nowadays compared to android platforms. But looking forward to android app release

The sad part the original app was made in 2012, we are in 2014 now. And I would be ready to pay for the app. There is more Android phone right now then Apple phone. Would be realy nice too see that app for android. And im sure I would not be the only one that would pay for that apps to be made !!! :D

I'm a little slow to the convo...

Step 1 - Receive Wng O
Step 2 - Quick Map, Quick Time
Step 3 - Issue Initial Wng O
Step 4 - Receive Os
Step 5 - Msn Analysis

...is what I have been taught the last four years, then taught it myself last year.

Mike's app (which I don't have, I'm on a BB) has it:

Step 3 - Receive Os
Step 4 - Msn Analysis
Step 5 - Issue Initial Wng O

I'm halfway through Mod II of ATOC, and came across that same way for the BP steps again.

So...I take off to orders, without my guys knowing where I'm going, how long I'll be, or when and where my orders will be?

Sorry if this has been explained before, but the Search function being disabled and all...

Edit: Checked with a couple of my troops fresh of PLQ, and they were given the second way as well. I'm at civi work, so can't check B-GL-300-003-FP-001, Command. Anyone?

That is the way it is written in our Pams, to issue your warning order after you have received your orders and done mission analysis.

Can you add command relationships on the app as well? OPCOM, OPCON, etc?

So, bad news on the Android front, there hasn't been any movement on an Android app at all. It's still firmly "on the list" but no progress. The problem is, I'm not an Android developer* and don't have the time to become one these days. That means hiring someone else to do the development. Not impossible, but not simplistic (or cheap) either. So not likely to see any significant movement on this in the near term, but if anyone knows of a decent Java/Android developer, please send them my way.

With regards to the Battle Procedure order, it struck me as odd too, when the change was made. Same reason as mentioned before, which is that you want to get a Wng O out the door as quick as possible to encourage concurrent activity, and waiting to receive your orders seems like it would be "too late."

I have a theory on this though, which is that traditionally we approach Battle Procedure incorrectly. If we adhere to the "1/3 for me 2/3 for my subordinates" rule then by the time I'm done my quick map study and time estimate, my comd should be bearing down on me with orders. Normally though, there is a significant gap between the Wng O and the Op O, which translates into wasted time and lost opportunity if you don't issue a Wng O yourself.

jeffb said:
Can you add command relationships on the app as well? OPCOM, OPCON, etc?

It's actually there, under Issue Orders --> Atts & Dets, but I've now added a direct link to it under the Reference section - thanks!

* I'm not an iOS developer either, but I bashed my way through for the most part.

Mike Bobbitt said:
With regards to the Battle Procedure order, it struck me as odd too, when the change was made. Same reason as mentioned before, which is that you want to get a Wng O out the door as quick as possible to encourage concurrent activity, and waiting to receive your orders seems like it would be "too late."

I have a theory on this though, which is that traditionally we approach Battle Procedure incorrectly. If we adhere to the "1/3 for me 2/3 for my subordinates" rule then by the time I'm done my quick map study and time estimate, my comd should be bearing down on me with orders. Normally though, there is a significant gap between the Wng O and the Op O, which translates into wasted time and lost opportunity if you don't issue a Wng O yourself.

I ended up posting the question on my FB page to my CF friends and colleagues, and it turned into a nice discussion. According to one pal, the second method of BP, whereby Receive Orders-Msn Analysis-Issue Initial Wng O, is from the Tactics/Leadership school. And it has been in effect for a few years. Or it's the new standard, being taught at ATOC. I dunno. My tps fresh off PLQ are saying they got the "new" way.

I'm obviously not sure where or if a disconnect occurred, but the Armour School (and what I learned on CAP/BMOQ-L actually) teaches the first way. As we've pointed out, this ensures - in the case of a Frag/Radio Wng O for example - tps have a basic idea of what's happening and where and why you as the comd are GTFOOD all of a sudden, and where your sub-comds need to be and roughly when, so they can receive their orders.

The same pal indicated the CTC method is derived from idea that the warning order you received may not be valid, so if you issue a warning order before you know what your actual task it, it creates confusion, hindering what you will have to accomplish in the confirmed mission.

I countered with that's what the Amended/Supplementary Wng O is for!

:brickwall:

The CAF has fixed what wasn't broken, but refuses to fix what IS broken. :facepalm:

BP is a tool that is used by leadership at all levels to ensure that operations are planned and conducted in as efficient and effective manner as possible;  as all situations differ from one another, so will your application of BP - time and resources are the biggest factors. Either way is fine provided the situation warrants it.

Myself, I lean towards the WngO asap - of course you are not going to start assigning tasks and committing troops to a COA at this stage (but depends on situation again);  maybe just getting troops and eqpt ready, ordering required supplies, etc. you only task something that most likely won't change but give warning of possible tasks. As a competent leader it is your responsibility to know the difference and not have your troops loading up mines when in the end you are doing a water crossing.

I would like to help but at the moment I'm pretty busy with AOC.
Downloaded the toolkit but haven't done much hacking yet; maybe in August.

PanaEng said:
[...] not have your troops loading up mines when in the end you are doing a water crossing.

What's wrong with mines when you're doing a water crossing? Nothing wrong with a little fishing on the side!  ;)

Just to wrap up my previous post.

It turns out the Armour School teaches the steps as I previously outlined. According to my DS at the Tactics School, Armour School formalized someting it is "permitted" IAW doctrine and BP to do so, i.e., to issue a Wng O when you have sufficient information to pass onto your troops.

The way the Tactics School teaches (or prioritizes?) its 16 Steps of BP is Army-wide doctrine.

Sorry Air Force and Navy, you guys are on your own  ;D probably why I found a 17 Steps of BP on the Navy forum!

I upgraded my IPad 3 to iOS 9 and now the Battle Procedure app is no longer working.  The Military Terms and Military History app are working fine though. Maybe someone else can try on a different IPad or an IPhone to see if they are having issues also or if it is just me. 

dangerboy said:
I upgraded my IPad 3 to iOS 9 and now the Battle Procedure app is no longer working.  The Military Terms and Military History app are working fine though. Maybe someone else can try on a different IPad or an IPhone to see if they are having issues also or if it is just me.

You're not the only one, I'm looking into it.

Submitted a fixed version to the App Store a few minutes ago, may take a week or more to be approved.

Thanks for the heads up!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.army.wavemobile.battlepro

Crash-less version is now available on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/battle-procedure-aide-memoire/id521444120?mt=8

Back