• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another interested person!

I

inferno

I‘m sure you guys are sick of hearing from all of us young folks looking to join up (I am almost 19) however I was hoping a few of my questions could be answered?

1- I have grade 10. However I wish to join Full Time Infantry. This looks to be perfectly fine by all the info. Confirm?

2- Does anyone have a good workout plan to prepare for the physical? I have seen the qualifications and requirments, however I am not in the best shape and was hoping to have some sort of "Get into it starting here, and after 12 weeks you‘ll be HERE" plan.

3- When in training, is it 24/7? As in 7 days a week 24 hours a day in training? If so for how long?
Once I pass basic, what‘s the work schedule like then? I am looking to see what kind of personal life full timers get.

4- Basic... is it THAT hard? I mean, if you prepare, you should in fact be ready for anything, yes?

Thank you very much in advance. Hopefully some people have the patience for more newbie questions.

Oh yes, I wanted to add that:

Yes, I have read over about 40 topics, and 400 posts before I signed up and asked these questions. These are what I could not find from any searching.

Thanks again.

As long as you have Grade 10 and pass the CFAT you shouldn‘t have a problem. As for training, I alternate weekdays doing push ups, sit ups, and chin ups one day, then running the next. I don‘t really have a program other then that. When I was in school, I used the weight room regularly and from what I‘ve seen in myself and the people around me is that the discipline to work out regularly is far more important then fancy gear and complicated schedules. My advice is to keep training simple and do it often.

Inferno

Fusaki makes a good point that the drive to work out and maintain it is important. If you‘re in good physical shape, like you can well exceed the minimum requirements for the fitness test, then keeping it simple and regular is good. If you‘re in poorer shape, where you are under the minimums, then your work-outs may need to be more robust.

Since you‘ve said your in not the greatest shape and only have about 12 weeks, then you need to know where to focus your fitness program. Can you do or exceed the minimum 19 push-ups, 19 sit-ups (there abouts), and run 2.4 kms in 12 mins? Do you need to focus on strength or cardio?

Once you figure it out, then devising a fitness program to suit your weaker side might be a good idea. If its both, then a more robust work-out routine is needed. Then talk to a fitness instructor or search the ‘net for the fitness routine and the specific exercises and sequences.

I mix a weight and cardio routine (65/35)and cycle a work-out 4 to 5 times a week for about 2 hours per session.

Completing basic is the easy part, Battle school is next and that is much harder. In battle school you don‘t get weekends off for almost 8 weeks and it is 24/7 at least with the RCR, don‘t know how the PPCLI works.

Thanks E-Town, those were AWESOME resources. I appreciate it. That puts a lot of things into perspective.

Inferno - no problem. I‘ve been asking similar questions for over a year now so I‘m glad to give out any answers I‘ve found.

Hopefully I‘ll see you on the other side. :cam:

For sure! :D
Oh, one last question. I have had everything else answered, and the Army IS FOR ME!

- Do I need to wait until next year to apply to Regulars? Everyone is saying the barracks are closed. Or is that only for reserves?

Reserve units stand down for the summer while everyone is out on course. The rest of the military keeps ticking along as normal. If you are sure apply as soon as you can since the application process can be quite long. But before you do make sure you spend some time talking with the staff at the recruiting centre, they are there to help and might bring up some questions you forgot to ask.

Good luck.

Excellent. I am applying tomorrow!
By that time I should have plenty of time to get into a more fit state of fitness, and be ready for the physical. The rest is no problem.

This all sounds awesome. I am really looking forward to getting in!

Talk to you soon! :mg:

yeah, what are you supposed to do if your regiment has your app. and then stands down, so you cant get a hold of anyone, and have no idea what happened to your app.?

yeah, what are you supposed to do if your regiment has your app. and then stands down, so you cant get a hold of anyone, and have no idea what happened to your app.?
Recruting offices at your regiment don‘t stand down for the summer...only A-coy...BOR, QM, Recruiting all stay open for the summer...

really, hmm, well the doors are locked, and both phone lines no one picks up, but thanks, i‘ll try to get something out of them. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I am having trouble getting ahold of them mon-fri 9-5 too.

Back