• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shortest full-time training commitment for P-Res

39IPR

Reaction score
Hey there, looking to join the reserves. I am very driven to serve in the armed forces and am open to different possibilities in how I serve, however, I have a reliable though busy work schedule and will have to be very intentional in allocating unpaid time off to do BMQ and then trade training.
Across all elements, which occupation requires the least time commitment in full-time residency training to become qualified in that occupation as a reservist?
From what I've seen, being a gunner in the army reserve seems to only require a 2 week residence to be trade qualified after completing BMQ. Is that the shortest residency available for any occupation? If so is it possible to complete both PRes BMQ and Gunner DP1 this summer? Any guidance is appreciated, thanks

Hey there, looking to join the reserves. I am very driven to serve in the armed forces and am open to different possibilities in how I serve, however, I have a reliable though busy work schedule and will have to be very intentional in allocating unpaid time off to do BMQ and then trade training.
Across all elements, which occupation requires the least time commitment in full-time residency training to become qualified in that occupation as a reservist?
From what I've seen, being a gunner in the army reserve seems to only require a 2 week residence to be trade qualified after completing BMQ. Is that the shortest residency available for any occupation? If so is it possible to complete both PRes BMQ and Gunner DP1 this summer? Any guidance is appreciated, thanks
Nearly all PRes trades can be completed in one summer with BMQ if you are available from May to August. I do believe that the Artillery has brought back a sorta BMQ Land so it is now something like 4 weeks. Still the shortest however but you should really base your trade off of what you want to do as you may be regretting not taking off an extra two weeks for the rest of your career.

PRes BMQ is either part-time from September to February/March, and I believe it's 12 weekends (1 off, 2 on IIRC). Full time BMQs are 4 weeks and are done during summer time from May to August I believe.

And by Gunner, what do you mean ? Infantry ?

PRes BMQ is either part-time from September to February/March, and I believe it's 12 weekends (1 off, 2 on IIRC). Full time BMQs are 4 weeks and are done during summer time from May to August I believe.

And by Gunner, what do you mean ? Infantry ?
11 weekends usually running Oct to Feb or Jan to Apr. Full time BMQ with the reserves is 5 weeks but thats just me being pedantic.

11 weekends usually running Oct to Feb or Jan to Apr. Full time BMQ with the reserves is 5 weeks but thats just me being pedantic.
I'm not 100% sure either of the exact months, so you might be right as well. All I know is that full time courses are during summer 😅

Nearly all PRes trades can be completed in one summer with BMQ if you are available from May to August. I do believe that the Artillery has brought back a sorta BMQ Land so it is now something like 4 weeks. Still the shortest however but you should really base your trade off of what you want to do as you may be regretting not taking off an extra two weeks for the rest of your career.
I just went through the reserves handbook. Looked at the course progression by occupation and infantry and artillery are similar in time commitment across courses. My initial inclination was towards infantry (7 weeks) vs artillery (4weeks) for DP1. My intention is to progress through the ranks so I suppose in the long run a few weeks here and there is inconsequential for my work obligations. I think I'll go for infantry instead, seems like there is greater scope of specialization (parachutist/patrol pathfinder/sniper) although I'm not sure if those courses are available for reservists. cheers

I just went through the reserves handbook. Looked at the course progression by occupation and infantry and artillery are similar in time commitment across courses. My initial inclination was towards infantry (7 weeks) vs artillery (4weeks) for DP1. My intention is to progress through the ranks so I suppose in the long run a few weeks here and there is inconsequential for my work obligations. I think I'll go for infantry instead, seems like there is greater scope of specialization (parachutist/patrol pathfinder/sniper) although I'm not sure if those courses are available for reservists. cheers

Make sure you check with your local unit/ recruiter. There are changes made all the time in how training is delivered, which might not match the handbook's description.

Also, I definitley wouldn't suggest that you pick a trade based on the time you think it takes to get trained. Check out a few options and make sure you pick the best one for you.

For example, just because the Infantry says you can be a paraninjapathfindingsniper doesn't mean that you are ever going to be guaranteed to get the courses. There is ample opportunity for interesting specializations in all trades.

And, speaking as a paratrooper, if you want to be more likely to be deployed operationally as a Reservist (and someone on here will probably correct me) you'll want to be a medic, a signaler or a logistician ;)

Make sure you check with your local unit/ recruiter. There are changes made all the time in how training is delivered, which might not match the handbook's description.

Also, I definitley wouldn't suggest that you pick a trade based on the time you think it takes to get trained. Check out a few options and make sure you pick the best one for you.

For example, just because the Infantry says you can be a paraninjapathfindingsniper doesn't mean that you are ever going to be guaranteed to get the courses. There is ample opportunity for interesting specializations in all trades.

And, speaking as a paratrooper, if you want to be more likely to be deployed operationally as a Reservist (and someone on here will probably correct me) you'll want to be a medic, a signaler or a logistician ;)

I'll second this. Do not join based on "what takes the least time to become trained"

Join instead on whatever trade is available to you in your geographic area PRes wise firstly, and secondly what you want to do if multiple trades are available in your area. I personally guarantee you, every second you spend training to do something you don't want to do is wasted. If you find the thing you want to do, you'll commit whatever time is needed to make your goals happen.

I joined an Armoured Reconnaissance unit 12 years ago, convinced I wanted 3 things. A tour, the rank of Sergeant, and my Canadian Forces Decoration. I only have one of those three goals, and I remain committed despite the fact the Armoured Corps no longer does my original trade of Armoured Reconnaissance and has switched to Armoured Cavalry, which negated most of my original training.

I work shift work due to my civilian employment, significant amounts of vacation leave is required to maintain my position in the Reserves. If you want it, it's there for you. If you can't or won't make the reserves work for you, it won't.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is.

I'll second this. Do not join based on "what takes the least time to become trained"

Join instead on whatever trade is available to you in your geographic area PRes wise firstly, and secondly what you want to do if multiple trades are available in your area. I personally guarantee you, every second you spend training to do something you don't want to do is wasted. If you find the thing you want to do, you'll commit whatever time is needed to make your goals happen.

I joined an Armoured Reconnaissance unit 12 years ago, convinced I wanted 3 things. A tour, the rank of Sergeant, and my Canadian Forces Decoration. I only have one of those three goals, and I remain committed despite the fact the Armoured Corps no longer does my original trade of Armoured Reconnaissance and has switched to Armoured Cavalry, which negated most of my original training.

I work shift work due to my civilian employment, significant amounts of vacation leave is required to maintain my position in the Reserves. If you want it, it's there for you. If you can't or won't make the reserves work for you, it won't.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is.
"the Armoured Corps no longer does my original trade of Armoured Reconnaissance and has switched to Armoured Cavalry, which negated most of my original training"

Could you clarify that a little?

Does it mean the Armoured Corps is now geared more towards fighting than actual surveillance/reconnaisance? (It's an option I'm also looking into as a reservist, currently in mid recruiting stage).

Thanks in advance!

"the Armoured Corps no longer does my original trade of Armoured Reconnaissance and has switched to Armoured Cavalry, which negated most of my original training"

Could you clarify that a little?

Does it mean the Armoured Corps is now geared more towards fighting than actual surveillance/reconnaisance? (It's an option I'm also looking into as a reservist, currently in mid recruiting stage).

Thanks in advance!
I wouldnt worry about this too much. This concept has yet to be initiated and is mainly just newspeak to deal with the lack of LAV 2 Coyote replacement which affects the regular force. Reserve armored units have a number of sub roles assigned to units but are doing largely the same DP1 they did 10 years ago.

I wouldnt worry about this too much. This concept has yet to be initiated and is mainly just newspeak to deal with the lack of LAV 2 Coyote replacement which affects the regular force. Reserve armored units have a number of sub roles assigned to units but are doing largely the same DP1 they did 10 years ago.
Got it.

Thanks for the information!

Back