• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another sad day in the Dragoons

Will it ever end.....

Please pass along my condolences to Russ....met him a few years ago.

Regards

Two Dragoons were killed and five more were wounded in Afghanistan today. The news just released the names of the two that were killed and I was saddened to hear the name of someone I know, Sgt Craig Gillam.

RIP Craig  :salute:

RIP!!!!!!!!!!! Deepest sympathies to the families and a very very sincere thank you to the fallen and wounded!!

RIP to the fallen, speedy recovery to the injured, and thank you. You fought the good fight.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

I've known Sgt Craig Gillam and Cpl Rob Mitchel for years.

Craig and I served in Gagetown at both the Armour School and A Sqn 8CH/ C Sqn RCD since the early 90s

Mitch came to A Sqn RCD in late 02. He was in my troop until we deployed to Bosnia and he was left behind.

Both excellent soldiers, kind and great to have around.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

Bold and Swift

RIP Dragoons.

:salute: :salute:

:cdn: :cdn:

Prayers and thoughts to the families, loved ones, friends and the Dragoon family.

God...Just been reading this thread in full for the first time.

I've missed some news...None of it good it seems.

Rest in Peace to those who have passed on. :cdn: :salute:

Slim

Slain Canadian soldier a hero, commander says.

A Canadian soldier's heroic action in the seconds before he was killed this week is being credited for saving the lives of most of his platoon.

Sgt. Craig Paul Gillam and Cpl. Robert Thomas James Mitchell were killed during an attack by insurgents armed with rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles outside Kandahar City earlier this week.

They had been providing security for road construction about 20 kilometres west of Kandahar when they came under attack.

"(Gillam) was able to shout and warn the others about this and then in about 30 seconds the other units were also attacked. Craig Gillam was able to shoot back, however he was killed in the firing," CTV's Paul Workman reported from Afghanistan on Thursday.

Gillam was the only soldier who had opportunity to shoot back when insurgents tried to sneak up on the observation post to set up an ambush, Maj. Andrew Lussier, Gillam and Mitchell's commander, told the Canadian Press.

Seconds later, the insurgents attacked two other two posts.

Because of Gillam's heroism, the insurgents were forced to retreat, Lussier said after a ramp ceremony at Kandahar Airfield.

"His actions, I'm certain, saved the lives of the remainder of the patrol," said Lussier, leader of a surveillance and reconnaissance squadron of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.

Five out of eight soldiers in the observation post were wounded in Tuesday's attack.

What can a guy say that means anything.
Well done Gents. Your actions saved the lives of your patrol....rest in peace.

You deeds won't go unoticed.

The regimental family has lost another soldier, Tpr Mark Andrew Wilson was killed in Afghanistan today.

RIP  :salute:

Hard week on the dragoon family.Thoughts and prayers to the families this week.

bold and swift

Trooper Wilson was one of my students.  I dreaded the day I'd see one of them in the news for any reason other than a commendation.  That day has arrived.

My condolences to the regiment

Adsum

To those who have recently gone on to a greater glory; I salute you.
You will be greatly missed.
Thoughts and prayers to those that have been left behind.

Bold and Swift
:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

Craig was a very good friend of mine. We were together with the Hussars and maybe one of the longest who has know him since he joined. I wish I could have go and be a Bearer, but due to family reasons cannot. He is a true Hero.

Rest in Peace my Dear Friend, watch over those that are still there and that are going.

An update from the Regiment:

Cancellations

We have cancelled all Leliefontein activities that were to take place on 14 Oct 06.
We have also cancelled the 2nd Annual Cancer Run which was to take place on 17 & 18 Oct 06. 

ALCON,

1. Attached is a summary of the timings as we know them now (11 Oct 06).  Please pass to the troops.

2. Colour code is:  Red = Cpl Mitchel, Blue = Sgt Gillam, Black = Tpr Wilson, Green = Unit Activity.

Cpl Mitchell
Viewing:  1400-1600 hrs and 1900-2100 hrs on 11 Oct 06
Murphy Funeral Home
296 Isabella St
Pembroke ON
613 735 5711
POC:  John Huff

Funeral:  13 1400 Oct 06
National Military Cemetary at Beechwood

Family's Owen Sound Memorial: - Dragoons are invited to attend
16 1900 Oct 06. 
Details TBC
POC is Heather Sorenson (519)376-5217

Sgt Gillam

Funeral Home
Fillatre's Funeral Home
Port Aux Basques, NFLD
709 785-2510
PoC:  Laura

Church/Cemetery Information
St Sylvester's Church, South Branch, NFLD
St Sylvester's Cemetery, South Branch, NFLD

Thurs 12 Oct
St Sylvester's Church open to the public for viewing
1400-1600 family present at the Church
1900-2100 family present at the Church
1930 Rosary

Fri 13 Oct
St Sylvester's Church open to the public for viewing
1400-1600 family present at the Church
1900-2100 family present at the Church
1930 Wake Service

Sat 14 Oct
1300 Church Service... then proceed to St Sylvester's Cemetery for interment

Tpr Wilson

Trenton Arrival:  11 2000L Oct 06
Tentative Funeral:  16 1100L Oct in London, ON

Funeral Home Info
John T. Donahue funeral Home
362 Waterloo St, London
(519) 434-2708
fax (519) 439-5778

Church Info
Mass will be held at:
Mary Immaculate Parish
1980 Trafalgar St, London
(519)455-3217
Father Graham Keep

Cemetary
St. Peter's Cemetery
809 Victoria St, London
(519) 451-9120

Unit Memorial For Sgt Gillam, Cpl Mitchell &
Tpr Wilson
Date: 17 Oct 06      Timing:  1500 Hrs

DONATIONS

The Gillam and Mitchell family have asked that if people are considering a donation to a worthy cause, they would appreciate that people consider The Guild of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.  The Guild is a charitable organization dedicated to maintaining the heritage and history of the unit, promoting higher education for future generations through bursaries and enhancing the quality of life for the soldiers of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.  Please feel free to learn more and contribute by visiting www.dragoons.ca.

All details are published on the Regimental website at the following link : http://www.dragoons.ca/OnlineBookCondolences/Memorials.html

Some info on the Services planned for TPR DARRYL CASWELL

SERVICES (TENTATIVE)

Visitation

Date:  Tue, 19 Jun
Time:  TBC
Loc: 
Northcutt Elliott Funeral Home
53 Division St. N.
Bowmanville, ON  L1C 2Z8
905 623 5668

Funeral

Date:  Wed, 20 Jun
Loc:  Trinity United Church, Bowmanville, ON
Dress:  DEU with medals

Interment

Date:  Thu, 21 Jun
Loc:  National Military Cemetary, Ottawa
Dress:  DEU with medals

Unit Memorial

Date:  Fri, 22 Jun
Time:  1300 hrs
Loc:  Bldg O9 (Korea Hall), CFB Petawawa
Dress:  Combats
Upon conclusion of the memorial service, unit reception at the Coriano Club.

Back