• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any women beginning training?

Coffee_psych

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm still in the application process, but I am looking to speak with fellow women on entering the military.  I am really worried that I will meet many un-like-minded people from me in the military, and it has made my application go much slower.

Are you inferring that the professionals whom work in recruiting are slowing your application because you feel they have different opinions on certain topics as you?

Just trying to gauge one of the purpose's of this post.

not a woman but a long time and much ignored applicant:

I'm reasonably convinced that the person who sets the speed of an application to CFRC is that applicant. You have to call, email, visit in person, and generally raise hell till they process your paperwork, and then there are set waiting times such as medical processing/merit listing.

You shouldn't think some negative first impression is holding you back. Its more likely that you are now just a service number in the back of a filing cabinet that they have forgotten about.

If you are questioning pushing your application forward due of fears that you will meet "unlike-minded people" over the course of your career, I'm sorry to say that you will run into such people at every career. It takes a true professional to work well with people they don't agree with.

I am not just entering, but have been in for four years as both NCM and now officer. I am a woman, and can answer any questions you have regarding that part of it. I can tell you for sure that you absolutely will run into unlike-minded people... time and time again. The CAF is a big machine my friend, and it takes all kinds of people to make the machine work. You will never grow as a person if you are never opposed in your way of thinking. One thing you will become very good at is overcoming conflict with unlike-minded people; and if you don't - you will not make it through basic.

Hey mkil, thanks for that info.  I guess my biggest thing is, sometimes there are things nobody likes, that's fair, then there are things that are wrong, and crappy things seems to occur to the whistleblower, whether it's a man or a woman who says something. So change occurs, but the whistleblower loses credibility...do you know what I mean?  Now is this also true for CAF, and I know I started this with talking about issues women have faced with harassment recently, but it's the example that was on the top of my head.  When someone tried to say something they weren't listened to, but now that they are...are they moving up? Getting the recognition they deserve for their bravery?

Dire Markhor said:
not a woman but a long time and much ignored applicant:

I'm reasonably convinced that the person who sets the speed of an application to CFRC is that applicant. You have to call, email, visit in person, and generally raise hell till they process your paperwork, and then there are set waiting times such as medical processing/merit listing.

You shouldn't think some negative first impression is holding you back. Its more likely that you are now just a service number in the back of a filing cabinet that they have forgotten about.

If you are questioning pushing your application forward due of fears that you will meet "unlike-minded people" over the course of your career, I'm sorry to say that you will run into such people at every career. It takes a true professional to work well with people they don't agree with.

I did that, I called, emailed and visited, called almost every 2-3 weeks to get an update I'm sure my CFRC knows my number by heart if they have caller ID haha  [:D and I am a women by the way, all that's left is my PLAR and who knows how long that's going to take (they said to re frame from asking for updates during the PLAR)  :crybaby: can't be scared to get things done and in life there are many "unlike-minded people", example my boss right now is one of them just gotta smile and nod and go on with your day  :salute:

Hey everyone!
I was looking for a thread for women joining the forces and this was the only one I could find!
I'm in the later stages of the recruiting process. One of my references was contacted today, so I am optimistic that I will be placed on the merit list shortly.
Just trying to get some conversation going with some other gals regarding their experiences with recruitment, BMQ, and or anything else that pertains to the process.

AllisonLeigh93 said:
Hey everyone!
I was looking for a thread for women joining the forces and this was the only one I could find!
I'm in the later stages of the recruiting process. One of my references was contacted today, so I am optimistic that I will be placed on the merit list shortly.
Just trying to get some conversation going with some other gals regarding their experiences with recruitment, BMQ, and or anything else that pertains to the process.

Hey!

I am just midway through my application. I've sent in my information for my PLAR and passed the CFAT. I have my interview and medical next month. I'm hoping the results of my PLAR will not hold up the process too long as it seems to be moving quickly right now. Other than that I am trying to get prepared for basic by running, spin class, and hitting the gym.

Hope you hear back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey girls! I'm also in the recruiting process, if you want to share your experience with me I would appreciate it  :nod:
I'm waiting to be merit listed!

Another female here. Enlisted reservist. It took nine months from clicking "send" on my application to my swearing in date. My file got held up a couple of times for weird reasons. I'd recommend asking at each stage when to expect the next one, and then sending a polite e-mail to see if there is anything you need to do. Also, when you send an e-mail confirmation or cancellation for the appointments, I would recommend following up with a telephone call. Two of my replies to appointment e-mails got lost.

Every single person I spoke to during the recruitment process was one hundred percent professional, and yet treated me as an individual, with humour and kindness. For example, one officer went out of his way to introduce me to a newer soldier working in the building, who had something in common with me, and others showed respect for my civilian work experience, like it mattered.  I was quite surprised by that. I expected the process to be a lot more impersonal. We have a high standard to live up to.  I hope I see some of you in Basic, kicking butt!

CanadaMoose said:
Another female here. Enlisted reservist. It took nine months from clicking "send" on my application to my swearing in date. My file got held up a couple of times for weird reasons. I'd recommend asking at each stage when to expect the next one, and then sending a polite e-mail to see if there is anything you need to do. Also, when you send an e-mail confirmation or cancellation for the appointments, I would recommend following up with a telephone call. Two of my replies to appointment e-mails got lost.

Every single person I spoke to during the recruitment process was one hundred percent professional, and yet treated me as an individual, with humour and kindness. For example, one officer went out of his way to introduce me to a newer soldier working in the building, who had something in common with me, and others showed respect for my civilian work experience, like it mattered.  I was quite surprised by that. I expected the process to be a lot more impersonal. We have a high standard to live up to.  I hope I see some of you in Basic, kicking butt!

When are you starting your BMQ? And what trade are you going into?  :)

An update of my recruiting process, I got a job offer earlier last week, starting my BMQ on January 23rd and swearing January 17th!  [:)

BTW, you won't see each other at basic.
Canadamoose stated she is an enlisted reservist and Marie92 stated she applied for Reg Force. Rarely do the 2 meet at BMQ

your application maybe "slowed-down" for numerous reasons, but i don't think being female or having certain ideology have to do with that.

best thing to do is -if you think someone is treating you negatively or don't like you, in military or anywhere else in life- take what you need from them because you need them and get done with it.

i'm not a female, but in my case, my application has been slowed down for all possible reasons and took almost 3 years and i could have used excuses  "oh, they're being racist or treating me different cause i'm an immigrant", ranging filling and re-filling forms i didn't need to, mistakes from recruiting ctr, misunderstanding, doing and redoing things i didn't necessarily had to, all the way to my entire application getting lost. but i always kept positive attitude and kept constantly checking with the local recruiting office every month or so for any updates, any thing i need or can do, ....etc.

i'm not here to "preach" you or anybody else, but one thing i learned is that i don't like playing the "victim" or "weak" character and whatever it is that may put you in that "race, gender, religion, colour" i use it as motivation and not let it hold me back and to work even harder to prove them wrong.

Just noticed this thread and the OP that opened it.

During the recruitment process, you are essentially a number. No one is really looking at sex, religion, or race. The CAF is right now on a drive to recruit females and minorities, so do not think your application will be held back for it.

Wait times could be anything from background checks, recruiters going on leave, snow storms in Ottawa. Of course, when I was going through the recruitment process, I called and annoyed people. They knew me by name as well.

Don't be discouraged. Nor, as I read in this post concerning 'whistleblowers' and 'unlikeminded people', be discouraged thinking you will be objectified and/or harassed. You get bad apples wherever you work or go to school, this isn't something that is normal in the military. The number of folks I've been working with for the last few years have had the utmost respect for each other and whoever they have worked with. Unfortunately we fall under the public's views because we work where we work or we belong to an organization that is seen as representative of Canada, so incidents come to view more often than something that occurred at another job.

We're like a big dysfunctional family, and we'd be happy to have any of you in it, no matter your background or what you decide to circle for gender.

Back