• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody have any good Donair stories or favourites to eat (KOD, Roberts, Tonys)

NCRCrow

Inactive
Reaction score
Donairs love or hate them, they are are part of the Halifax Naval culture.(Urban Legends)

Any good stories, like using them as a pillow in your rack?

Or having a Roberts Super Donair eating contest onboard IROQUOIS?

I LOVE donairs, where i live we have a farmers market that it mainly run by the Mennonites they sell all kinds of stuff at this market and I usually go there to buy my fruit veg and meat. But if im hungry I always head over to the "Donair house" and a get a large beef with extra garlic and all kinds of toppings. It gets pretty messy but damn is it ever worth it.. Cant say i have any funny stories besides almost choking to death on them a few times cause i eat them like the a chipmunk in a peanut factory.  I love that place where else can you get 3lbs of farm fresh bacon and 2 dozen duck eggs for 15$? NOWHERE that where.  ;)

I prefer a proper Ottawa middle eastern neighbourhood shawarma, where you actually know the origins of the meat you're eating (or the 'meat-sicle' as my friend accurately labels them - a series of formerly-frozen chicken breasts on a spit).

One of my favourite places is Mangos near the corner of Bank and Alta Vista, in the plaza with the Timmys.  Great fresh cooked food, and if you ask for take out plate (even if you're eating in), they give you the big styrofoam container and fill to it overflowing - for less than $10!

Oh how I miss it!  :(

Speaking of Halifax, years ago, we used to go to the great donair place that was on Spring Garden Road, after the bars were closed.  I can remember heading for home in the South End with donair juice dripping down my arms!!  Yummy!!! 
3.gif

Nieghorn said:
One of my favourite places is Mangos near the corner of Bank and Alta Vista, in the plaza with the Timmys.  Great fresh cooked food, and if you ask for take out plate (even if you're eating in), they give you the big styrofoam container and fill to it overflowing - for less than $10!

I'll have to check that one out!

Nieghorn said:
One of my favourite places is Mangos near the corner of Bank and Alta Vista, in the plaza with the Timmys.   Great fresh cooked food, and if you ask for take out plate (even if you're eating in), they give you the big styrofoam container and fill to it overflowing - for less than $10!

Oh how I miss it!  :(

I'm not sure, but you may be really missing it.  That Timmies is long gone.  Not sure on Mangos.

I have yet to have a shawarma or donair in Ottawa that in any way can hold a candle to a Donair in NS or NB.  Greco Donairs in Oromocto were a staple for many after the Pioneer/Camelot closed.  Next would be the Pizza Delight Super Donairs in the Maritimes; a little different, but still a treat.  The closest I have come to the same sort of satisfaction from a Donair place in Ontario is the Greco Donair in Petawawa............Anyone a fan of Donair Pizza?

Which place you talking about on Esquimalt Rd? Might go out and try it...

When I was last there it was across the road from the BMO.  About on or 2 blocks down from the Tudor House.

PMedMoe said:
Yes, but I edited your post to read Ontario vs. Ottawa.  ;)

OK?  I didn't know Pet was in Ottawa.

George Wallace said:
The closest I have come to the same sort of satisfaction from a Donair place in Ontario is the Greco Donair in Petawawa............Anyone a fan of Donair Pizza?

for me its the burps that last for days and annoy my wife.

I even tried eating one in my DEU's many moons ago. It was not a pretty site.

I heard the Donair Shop in Esquimalt closed down?

Donair pizzas are amazing!

they have Donairs in Petawawa? When I was there in the late eighties , early ninties everybody used to go to Sgt Smitty's Pizza or Golden Gate.

I was in Petawawa in May and its now a laundry mat.

HFXCrow said:
they have Donairs in Petawawa? When I was there in the late eighties , early ninties everybody used to go to Sgt Smitty's Pizza or Golden Gate.

I was in Petawawa in May and its now a laundry mat.

Greco's is still in Pet. It's in the same building as Pronto's (and I think there is a laundry mat there too). It's at the very back of the convenience store part.

We tried the donair offering in Angus (outside of Borden).  Between us, those donairs rated a 4/10. We would eat them again...if only to remind ourselves what we are missing back home.

The best donaris we had we from Jessey's in Halifax.  ;)

Believe it or not, we have a real donair joint here in the heart of the Cariboo-Chilocotin, with a real lamb log!  Not a genuine middle-eastern joint, but tasty enough.  It was inspired by the East Coast places.

Travelling through Europe and New Zealand, there were tons of these places run by Turkish immigrants.  Because they were cheap and filling, they were my main source of nourishment.

Damn, now I'm craving a lamb donair, and it's closed today!  :(

I feel like having a Donair with a shot of Absinthe to wash it down..(kidding)

I like Jessey's Pizza here in Sackvegas.

For anyone posted to Edmonton, the best donairs in the world are made by Queen Donair.  There are a couple of them around town.  Make sure to order extra sauce - it's not tatziki (or however you spell it), but boy is it delish!

Another good one in Edmonton is Charles Smart on Whyte Ave. But they still don't hold a candle to the ones you get out in Halifax, mainly because the sauce is not like the kind you get out east.
      During my 8 month stint in Shearwater, I should have purchased stock in the establishment "Pizza Time" just down the road by the refinery. I would be rich based on the amount that I spent there! If the donair pizza and donair were not your thing, you could get the "plate". (A pie plate of a bed of french fries covered in donair meat, sauce, onions, tomatos and then put in the oven to melt the mozzarella cheese) Decadence in your mouth...The KOD on Windmill Rd in Dartmouth near the McKay Bridge was ok in a pinch but I got turned off after seeing the cleanliness of the whole place. The only good part about leaving NS and not getting those kinds of donairs out here is that I now fit comfortably into a pair of jeans that  promptly became quite snug (to put it mildly) after being introduced to the true Halifax Donair. (That said, I could sure go for one now. I already have the Keith's to wash it down with!  ;D

HFXCrow said:
for me its the burps that last for days and annoy my wife.

I even tried eating one in my DEU's many moons ago. It was not a pretty site.

I heard the Donair Shop in Esquimalt closed down?

Donair pizzas are amazing!
What a bummer.  I haven't been there in a few years so of course I'm out of the loop so to speak.

kratz said:
We tried the donair offering in Angus (outside of Borden).  Between us, those donairs rated a 4/10. We would eat them again...if only to remind ourselves what we are missing back home.

The best donaris we had we from Jessey's in Halifax.  ;)

I feel your pain my friend. Jessey's is the best around.

Back