• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

anyone else have to gain weight?

I was told by a current CF member that most of the skinnier people who go into BMQ usually come out a bit heavier/muscular.

As long as you are in shape, as what I have been told, your weight shouldn't really be too much of a concern (unless you are too underweight, as according to the BMI chart).

When I did my BMQ I was 5'8 and 155 - 165lbs. Stayed at that weight and hauld my sh...for about 10 years but then I decided to gain some mass. Now I'm 5'7 3/4 (age!!!) and 195lbs with 33 waist. I feel great and never took protein shakes or any other ''aid'' to get there. I whent up to 206lbs in Bosnia but then I had to buy a new Mess kit so I decided to loose 10lbs.

Just stop looking at the 110lbs dumbels thinking it's just the big guys that use them. Set yourself a goal weight to press on the bench and do it. You'll get big in no time. Use a spotter though.

BTW, you can eat what you want as long as it's in moderation and you workout regularily. I mix weight training with runnig 3x week and swimming. It keeps the tire away 'cause age trades height for width.

PMedMoe said:
The CF doesn't use the BMI anymore.

I meant amongst personal standards, the BMI is good to help with some peoples goals in losing or gaining weight.

Personally I find the BMI confusing and innaccurate.  I guess it goes by your body type.  It seems the BMI is good for some body types, but misleading for many others (if not most)

I have the exact same question! Although mine is as to being underweight or rather "skinny" would automatically disqualify you. currently i'm 16, around 115-120 and 5,9. i've been working out regularly for the better part of 2 years and have gained a large amount of muscle tone when compared to my old self. I can do all of the BMQ tests, with easily going over 20+ pushups, situps in the 50's per minute and my running endurance is quite well. but would they just shaft me for being too skinny to be of use?

Also if you're wondering i'm aiming for Armoured Soldier in the KOCR. I couldn't get my high school transcripts by the summer so I have to wait for the fall training.

Hey, I'm 5'9 and about 120-125 and according to the RC I am medically fit, so I don't think it is too much of a worry so long as you can do the push-ups, chin-ups, ruck marches and all that. I'm trying to join Infantry by the way.

I have this "problem" as well...

I feel I'm underweight abit, and have a hard time gaining. My diet isn't a strictly monitored one, but I eat somewhat "regularly" and "healthy". I do "eat-out" too (3-5 meals/week)...

I'm 5'10", 140lbs... My BMI is 20, within the 20-25 "normal" range (which for my height is between 140-175lbs). And I smoke, but want to quit.

* for shits-n-giggles I tried doing some push-ups and sit-ups tonite, no practice just do as many as I could consecutively...

P-ups = stopped after 25, and able to do 10-15 more no doubt...
S-ups = hesitated after 6-7, but got the knot out of my stomach and pulled off 25 with some gas left...

:o

** I also pulled up google-maps and mapped a perfect 2.4km route from my doorstep. I'll try it tomorow...

j0hn_r1 said:
P-ups = stopped after 25, and able to do 10-15 more no doubt...
S-ups = hesitated after 6-7, but got the knot out of my stomach and pulled off 25 with some gas left...

** I also pulled up google-maps and mapped a perfect 2.4km route from my doorstep. I'll try it tomorow...

How does this help him in gaining weight? I had the same exact problem for about. what a year? i was 6'3" at 148lbs I did my Medical and such the first time. And yes they did reject me for weight related reasons. to counter that I gained weight. I'm 190 at 6'3" now. To do this, I had to cut out my intense cardio, and move up to strictly weight lifting for about 6 months, and eat lots of mcdonalds (that sky rocketed my blood pressure) Now, I'm getting ready to get on that plane. Really can't wait. Weight wise it shouldn't really matter. Unless of course there is a flag that gets raised here or there... Reason why the flag was risen for me in 5 months i lost 100 lbs do the math.

I think you should be fine. If you're worried cut out some of the cardio and work on doing some weight lifting.

Yea using weights and eating more is the way to go. BUT don't go eating garbage like McDonalds, that will make you put on the bad kind of weight  FAT aswell as raise blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Lots of info on the net on how to increase weight the healthy way.

The McDonalds diet will only hurt you in the long run.

Back