• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

The AOR is going to be a target. Thats guaranteed. I don't see what the alternative is-not have AOR's? Any attempt to move people and equipment by land, sea or air is going to be vulnerable and there are going to be losses and they might be huge. Just look at the losses in the Ukraine war in the first 6 months. The war seems to be at a bit of a stalemate to some extent due to people and equipment limitations

@Underway…just wondering if the NSM uses the same fuel as HARPOON?
No idea. I only know open source stuff on NSM and usually, that doesn't include the fuel type. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Both use a similar propulsion method.

No idea. I only know open source stuff on NSM and usually, that doesn't include the fuel type. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Both use a similar propulsion method.
Just an idle curiosity. I was wondering how much (or little) that magazine may have to change when HARPOON gives way to NSM. I imagine there may come a time when they may have to share the same space in transport.

Just an idle curiosity. I was wondering how much (or little) that magazine may have to change when HARPOON gives way to NSM. I imagine there may come a time when they may have to share the same space in transport.
It won't have to change much at all. It's basically a big box with a lid and fire suppression systems inside. The racking solution will be the only thing that changes.

Given the JSS command facilities, I would assume that Sensor Netting would be a given. I can’t find any information indicating if that is true. Any of you guys know?

If you mean by that "will she be connected to to other ships by Link and have access to the recognized maritime picture, the the answrer is yes.

More than that , I would be surprised if anyone was at liberty to discuss.

If you mean by that "will she be connected to to other ships by Link and have access to the recognized maritime picture, the the answrer is yes.

The only reason i did ask is because the CSC has CEC.

Given the JSS command facilities, I would assume that Sensor Netting would be a given. I can’t find any information indicating if that is true. Any of you guys know?

Here is what I can tell you. Same LINK as Frigates currently have. No CEC because there are no effectors on JSS (it doesn't operate offensive weapons only self defensive ones). JSS is expected to act as TG commander in some cases. So all the comms and data sharing are very robust.

What is new on JSS is LINK Space and Land track capability, which was added to the program's CMS 330 contract. The reasons for this are twofold. First JSS is designed to support to forces ashore in a permissive environment (read humanitarian operations). The second is that this development drives CMS software development out of a different budget, which will eventually be implemented into the frigates and CSC CMS systems.

The end goal is to have a single CMS "suite" and when you install it on a ship you can pick and choose the options. JSS, CSC and CPF's will all have different weapons and sensors, so upon installation you just select the groupings that are pertinent to that particular platform. This will significantly reduce costs as the entire CMS suite can be controlled under a single contract and version.

Here is what I can tell you. Same LINK as Frigates currently have. No CEC because there are no effectors on JSS (it doesn't operate offensive weapons only self defensive ones). JSS is expected to act as TG commander in some cases. So all the comms and data sharing are very robust.

What is new on JSS is LINK Space and Land track capability, which was added to the program's CMS 330 contract. The reasons for this are twofold. First JSS is designed to support to forces ashore in a permissive environment (read humanitarian operations). The second is that this development drives CMS software development out of a different budget, which will eventually be implemented into the frigates and CSC CMS systems.

The end goal is to have a single CMS "suite" and when you install it on a ship you can pick and choose the options. JSS, CSC and CPF's will all have different weapons and sensors, so upon installation you just select the groupings that are pertinent to that particular platform. This will significantly reduce costs as the entire CMS suite can be controlled under a single contract and version.
Thank you. You connected some dots for me.

I wonder if I’ll be fully retired before the first JSS is operational.

I harken back to Jan 2000 when VAdm Buck said “Hull in the water in 10 years!”. This is getting as bad (almost) as the Sea King replacement.

I wonder if I’ll be fully retired before the first JSS is operational.

I harken back to Jan 2000 when VAdm Buck said “Hull in the water in 10 years!”. This is getting as bad (almost) as the Sea King replacement.

If we can't get a boot contact for the Army to work right...

Would nice if we had that 2nd iAOR for the sandy bottom fleet.

If we can't get a boot contact for the Army to work right...

Would nice if we had that 2nd iAOR for the sandy bottom fleet.
Ill say it again, Procurement is more about jobs then capabilities, seriously if this wasn't a government contract people would be getting fired for these delays. Why are we not handing down penalties or sanctions against these companies that cannot deliver as contracted? Threaten to go get south Korea to build ships, or even have them build a single ship, our industry needs a wake up call to police them selves a lot better.

Ill say it again, Procurement is more about jobs then capabilities, seriously if this wasn't a government contract people would be getting fired for these delays. Why are we not handing down penalties or sanctions against these companies that cannot deliver as contracted? Threaten to go get south Korea to build ships, or even have them build a single ship, our industry needs a wake up call to police them selves a lot better.

You're preaching to the choir.

I couldn't care less about Canadian industry or jobs when it comes to defence.

You're preaching to the choir.

I couldn't care less about Canadian industry or jobs when it comes to defence.
No government of any stripe is going to “care less” when it comes to Canadian Industry and jobs when speaking about defence spending.

You might as well stay in reality land.

No government of any stripe is going to “care less” when it comes to Canadian Industry and jobs when speaking about defence spending.

You might as well stay in reality land.

I prefer my land of purple sky's and responsible citizenry and government.

Now if youre done being a negative Nancy I'd like to get back to it. ;)

Back