• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application process, all the way through to... the call!

Sparkplugs

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there!  I'm new to the board... I had another post in another forum, but I'm assuming it got deleted because it was in the wrong place, eep! 

Name's Jen, I'm 24, female, 5 feet tall and 100 lbs.  Back in February I decided to chase after my delayed dream of being in the military.  I had wanted to join after high school, but life got in the way a bit and I had to wait.  Now that I am commitment-free and in a better place, I decided to go after it again.  Just for a little backstory, I have been working the past 2 years in a lumber mill...  The first year was spent doing heavy labour, so for a wee one, I have wicked upper body strength.  The past year I have been alternating between heavy labour and driving heavy equipment.  My original plan was to become a pilot, but I have since changed my mind and decided on Aviation Systems Tech... the closest thing to the civilian aircraft maintenance engineer, just in case years down the road I find myself back in the civvie world.

I'll type this out in timeline form.

28 February 2006 --  Did online application
1 March 2006 --  Received 2 wonderful reference letters, one from Cheif of Police, and one from high school English teacher
7 March 2006 --  Paperwork was finished up, transcript was received, and everything was sent out.
20 March 2006 --  Got call to come April 7th and do CFAT, Medical, Interview and PT.

7 April 2006 --  Testing day.  I was the only applicant around for the entire day.
8:00am, CFAT.  I did it, and frankly, I thought it would be way harder.  I just plugged through it, and when I was done, they whisked me away to the Det. Commander's office to wait for my results.  He came in, handed me a sheet of paper with all of the army/navy/air force jobs on it, and said, "Take your pick, any one of these you want is yours."  He informed me that while he couldn't tell me my exact score, that I was in the high 99th percentile of all applicants, and the highest they'd ever seen in Thunder Bay.  Sorry, had to brag about that, I was pretty proud of myself.   ^-^  He tried to convince me to take an officer trade, since my aptitude score was more than high enough.  Once I convinced him that mechanic was where I wanted to be he relented.

10:00am, Interview.  The Det. Commander did my interview with me, and it was very easy, relaxed, and comfortable.  He made lots of jokes and made me feel completely at ease.  The questions were not difficult, or insanely prying, they were actually kind of fun to answer. 

11:00am, Medical.  The medical technician was a funny guy.  He made it all very comfortable, although it was very weird flexing my muscles and all that stuff while in a crunchy paper gown.  Eye test and hearing were simple and short, and the other stuff was like nothing I've ever done before, but nothing terribly uncomfortable.  By the end of it, there were a couple things he needed more information on, and doctor's notes.  I'll explain them here, because from reading other threads, I know people have gone through the same things.

First off, I had my gallbladder removed in 2003.  They needed a note saying I was fine, there were no complications, and that I was fit for duty.  This note was easy to get.  The other one, not so much.

I had gone through something of a depressive episode in 2001.  I was a stalking and sexual assault victim, and had problems coping.  I was put on a couple different antidepressants and went through counselling.  Once I had gone through the court case and it was all over, I was fine.  But there were 6 months or so where I was severely depressed about the situation, and had even spent time in the hospital to that effect.  I really thought this was totally going to screw any chance at the CF that I had.  So I got a hold of my family doctor, and she printed out all of the physician's notes from that time, along with a personal letter explaining how I've been since that time.  I was afraid that they would ask me to come back in a year with a psychiatrist's note saying I was A-OK.  Anyway, I got the notes, but it took awhile, and I will explain what happened after this next section.

2:00pm, PT.  I was dreading this.  I am very strong, and my muscles are in good shape, but I was concerned about my cardio and pushups.  The girl was very nice.  I did my step test first, and it was ridiculously easy.  I did five rounds of 3 minutes.  By the end of it, I was laughing entirely too hard at the music.  By the higher levels, it ends up being monk chanting and christmas carols -- I wish I was kidding.  So the girl and I laughed, and my V02 level was 52 by the end of it.  I only needed a 32, so that was good. 

Situps.  I know I have a strong body, so I just pumped them out as fast and steady as I could.  I ended up doing 38 situps in 60 seconds.  Since females only need 15 in 60 seconds, I was in good shape.

Pushups.  Eeee, I was nervous.  I ended up doing 27 triceps pushups before I fell over.  9 was my goal, so I did well there too. 

Grip strength.  I remember failing the grip strength test I did I high school, so I was nervous here.  The girl tells me, "hey, all you need is 50 combined, no worries, just do it."  So I ended up doing 85 combined.  She made me do it again, thought there was something wrong with the machine, hehe.  85 again.  I didn't know that was above the male standards too.  She said she'd never seen someone so little squeeze so hard.  Heh, I guess lifting wood all day every day has really helped me out.

5 May 2002 --  Finally got my doctor's notes in, and had to wait for my medical to come back from Ottawa.

I called a couple times to check on how things were going, and they were just waiting for the medical to come back.  My recruiter was about as excited as I was! 

2 June 2006 --  THE CALL.  My recruiter called me to let me know that my medical had come back.  They were concerned about the depression/antidepressants, but thanks to my letter from my doctor, and the fact that it was 5 years ago, I was found fit for duty.

My offer is for AVN Tech, in the Air Force, which is what I wanted.  I swear in on July 17th, and I leave for basic training in St Jean on August 7th. 

I am immensely excited.  Now my big goal is getting better at running.  My father has been a runner for 28 years, so he has been motivating me to push myself.  I am up to 3 km without having to stop and walk.  So I have just over 2 months to improve on that.  I'm workin' my butt off.  I don't want to be seen as some weak little girl when I get to BMQ.  I worked hard in the mill the gain respect, and I'm stubborn and proud, and I'll do all that I can to hold my own.  I know being 5 feet tall and 100lbs is a disadvantage in many things, but I've overcome it many times before.

Anyway, I know this is long-winded, but I thought I'd write everything I could remember down, because I know I had all kinds of questions about little things before I started this process, and hopefully this can help someone else along. 

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.  Now the hardest part of my waiting begins... In just over a month and a half, I will no longer be a civilian, and I can't wait!  My father, uncle, and grandfather were all in the Air Force, and they're proud too. 
:)

EDIT:  Forgot to tell the funniest part about my interview.  The guy says, "So, you work in a lumber mill, I guess you're a secretary?"  I said, "Nooo, I drive a tractor, actually."  "Oh", he says, "Really?  I guess people have asked you before if you sit on a phone book?"  I replied, "Yes, most days, actually."  He says, "Don't worry about it, most people assume I can't even read because I'm an infantry officer and all.  Appearances can be deceiving, hehehehe.  Good for you, Jen" 

" 2:00pm, PT.  I was dreading this.  I am very strong, and my muscles are in good shape, but I was concerned about my cardio and pushups.  The girl was very nice.  I did my step test first, and it was ridiculously easy.  I did five rounds of 3 minutes.  By the end of it, I was laughing entirely too hard at the music.  By the higher levels, it ends up being monk chanting and christmas carols -- I wish I was kidding.  So the girl and I laughed, and my V02 level was 52 by the end of it.  I only needed a 32, so that was good. "

Its like a Polka.. haha. Good ol' 70's music.

But you sound like you did wonderful , im about you're size and height as well and use to do mechanics.. good for the arms/hands. Good luck with everything , AVN is a great trade , just dont get a lifer posting to WPG.. yikes! haha. You'd be interesting to talk to for as right now Im going through pretty much the same thing! Good luck with bmq sounds like physically you'll have no problems!

Congrats Jen! You sound like the kind of person I want wearing that uniform.

Way to go and overcome the previous adversity; you've gone thrugh that the rest should be no problem!

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the support!

Can't wait to get my butt to St Jean!

That was the best post I have ever seen on this site... way to go Jen! Thanks for posting, as I'm sure it will inspire a lot of people to go for their dreams...

And it's sweet that you're from Thunder Bay, because I grew up there too. Did you work at Bowater by any chance? I miss that candy-cane smoke-stack. It always indicated to me how the flying would be at the T-Bay airport (just look at the smoke and you'll know where the wind is blowing). Damn, I miss fishing on the Kam river near the Bowater basin... caught a few big sturgeon there. Anyway, I was in the 18th Med. Coy. before moving to Toronto to do university, and now I'm a 32U waiting to go to St.Jean in September.

Sorry to remenisce... but I loved your post... keep us posted on your career!

Matty B. said:
That was the best post I have ever seen on this site... way to go Jen! Thanks for posting, as I'm sure it will inspire a lot of people to go for their dreams...

And it's sweet that you're from Thunder Bay, because I grew up there too. Did you work at Bowater by any chance? I miss that candy-cane smoke-stack. It always indicated to me how the flying would be at the T-Bay airport (just look at the smoke and you'll know where the wind is blowing). Damn, I miss fishing on the Kam river near the Bowater basin... caught a few big sturgeon there. Anyway, I was in the 18th Med. Coy. before moving to Toronto to do university, and now I'm a 32U waiting to go to St.Jean in September.

Sorry to remenisce... but I loved your post... keep us posted on your career!

Well, I actually live in Geraldton, and work up at a Buchanan mill in Nakina, but TBay is only a few hours away and I spend a lot of time there.

Haha, my grandfather on my mom's side worked at Bowater, and I used to love that smokestack!  My favourite part about Thunder Bay is going up on Mt. McKay at dusk to overlook the city...

Thanks for the kind words!  Maybe I'll see you around St Jean, hehe, I'll be there until Oct 20.

If you want to become better at running, just climb Mt. McKay once or twice a week. I guarantee it's twice or thrice the work of climbing the CN tower (by step). I'm sure you'll kick a$$ on your course and throughout your career...

I'm sticking to trail running right now, hehe...  I need to do it without stopping to walk.  And I gotta work on speeding up these stubby legs of mine.

I am counting down the days now, haha.

2:00pm, PT.  I was dreading this.  I am very strong, and my muscles are in good shape, but I was concerned about my cardio and pushups.  The girl was very nice.  I did my step test first, and it was ridiculously easy.  I did five rounds of 3 minutes.  By the end of it, I was laughing entirely too hard at the music.  By the higher levels, it ends up being monk chanting and christmas carols -- I wish I was kidding.  So the girl and I laughed, and my V02 level was 52 by the end of it.  I only needed a 32, so that was good.

I had the same problem myself, that music and the male speaker's "Valium induced" voice was killing me.  Myself and another younger recruit were in stitches by the 4th or 5th round, don't think that helped our heart rate at all....heheh.  I tried to explain it to the wife but it was one of those "you just had to be there..." moments.

They should use that CD as reveille during basic, we'd all fall out of our bunks laughing again.

Good job and enjoy!

Thorvald said:
I had the same problem myself, that music and the male speaker's "Valium induced" voice was killing me.  Myself and another younger recruit were in stitches by the 4th or 5th round, don't think that helped our heart rate at all....heheh.  I tried to explain it to the wife but it was one of those "you just had to be there..." moments.

They should use that CD as reveille during basic, we'd all fall out of our bunks laughing again.

Good job and enjoy!

We had a female voice, but yeah, same deal...  Especially at the first, slow level, I could not figure out how it was supposed to be 'motivating.'  It would have been bad if there were more than me taking the test, hehe, I would have had a giggle fit.

Well, just got my final package of paperwork in the mail today...  You know, the one with the will and stuff in it. 

When my recruiter said, "Just a couple more forms to fill out."  He was simplifying it a wee bit, methinks.  There's a buttload of stuff there!

But, I found out that I have had 12 jobs and 11 addresses in the past 10 years!

Does anyone know if it's normal to get shipped out to basic the day before you begin?  I thought there would be a couple days there, but apparently I leave on the 6th, to start of the 7th.

So now I have a will for the first time, and everything's ready to go.  200 hours of work left, and 1 month, 1 week, and 2 days until I am no longer a civilian.

Excitement does not even cover what I am feeling right now.

Well done Sparkplugs,

Truth be told, I went thru what you are 17 years ago when I was going to Cornwallis in the Reg Frce...and...17 years later and many years of Reserve service in Armd Recce, 3 years of college...I am going Reg Frce again and just wrote the CFAT/Medical/Interview yesterday at CFRC in Halifax.  35 and startin' all over again doh!

I too was told I can pick any NCM trade and that if I wanted to pursue the Officer side I could as well.  I know I want to be Air Force ATIS Tech, but it was nice to hear the "you can have any trade you want" comment.  If nothing else, for personal confidence.

Kudo's to ya.  Best of luck in Basic, its just the start of, what I think, is a really awesome adventure....

Mud

Mud Recce Man said:
Well done Sparkplugs,

Truth be told, I went thru what you are 17 years ago when I was going to Cornwallis in the Reg Frce...and...17 years later and many years of Reserve service in Armd Recce, 3 years of college...I am going Reg Frce again and just wrote the CFAT/Medical/Interview yesterday at CFRC in Halifax.  35 and startin' all over again doh!

I too was told I can pick any NCM trade and that if I wanted to pursue the Officer side I could as well.  I know I want to be Air Force ATIS Tech, but it was nice to hear the "you can have any trade you want" comment.  If nothing else, for personal confidence.

Kudo's to ya.  Best of luck in Basic, its just the start of, what I think, is a really awesome adventure....

Mud

Hey, 35 is not bad... You've already done some living! 

I would have liked to be an officer, but there weren't any officer trades that I could see myself making a career out of.  They were really trying to get me into mechanical engineering, but I'd rather be the one to have dirty mechanic hands, hehe.

It was a nice ego boost, for sure.  I was pretty proud walking out of there that day!

I can't wait for basic.  I'm counting down the days and hours, it's really silly!

Thanks!

Spark
Good for you !!  As for the leaving one day and starting the next its not unusual for it to happen.Dear son the soldier was sworn in on Thursday morning and left Thursday night started course Friday morning. All this after being called Wednesday afternoon to let him know his swearing in was the next morning @ 10 A.M sharp. We juggled things for a while.

military granny said:
Spark
Good for you !!  As for the leaving one day and starting the next its not unusual for it to happen.Dear son the soldier was sworn in on Thursday morning and left Thursday night started course Friday morning. All this after being called Wednesday afternoon to let him know his swearing in was the next morning @ 10 A.M sharp. We juggled things for a while.

Oh wow, that must have been fun!  Heh, I guess I don't have it so bad.  I'm just happy it's all coming together now!

Thanks!  :)

Spark,

Thank you for passing on your experience.  Stay in touch, and let us know how things continue as you head out on course.

And keep up with your current attitude, it's refreshing to see.  You will go far,

Mich

navymich said:
Spark,

Thank you for passing on your experience.  Stay in touch, and let us know how things continue as you head out on course.

And keep up with your current attitude, it's refreshing to see.  You will go far,

Mich

I've always been one to look on the bright side, I guess.  Annoyingly chipper, say others. 

I'll try and keep updated as much as I can.  I'm going to miss the internet at basic, I'm sure!

Thanks! 

Congrats Sparkplugs!

Maybe we will end up on basic together!
I have finished everything I needed to do and am merit listed and waiting for the call...impatiently, but waiting.

Springroll said:
Congrats Sparkplugs!

Maybe we will end up on basic together!
I have finished everything I needed to do and am merit listed and waiting for the call...impatiently, but waiting.

I was pretty impatient being on the merit list too... But I was waiting for the scary part of my medical to come back, and that took a few weeks, so that was the worst part for me.  Now that I have a date on my calendar to look forward to, I'm much happier and more patient, heh!

That would be cool!  I hope your call comes soon.  I know how it is, waiting, heh.  I'm sure it'll all be worth it and then some though!

Back