• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application process during highschool

DnentonSg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post on here.

So I'm currently in Grade 11 and have pretty much decided a career in the CF is what I would like to do with my life. I mostly want to join Infantry but I have kept an open mind and looked and some other occupations like Combat Engineer or Armoured soldier but I really do have my mind set on Infantry. As of now I have no plans to go to do any forms of post secondary education and I would like to make my application most likely right after high school. Here's the thing, Ideally for me, I would love to be able to make my application to the CF a few months shy of graduating (April, May) and then hopefully in between June-October be in BMQ. Of course I know its not a perfect world, but I figure the that the earlier I can get my application in the better right? Anyway so here's my question, If I DID apply to the CF a few months shy of graduating (which I could do because I have gotten by grade 10), would they take into account that I want to finish high school and get my diploma before shipping out or do they not care? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read somewhere that the U.S has some sort of delayed entry program where you complete all your exams and application stuff then you pick a date or something along those lines. I haven't found anything about Canada having this though. The last thing I would want is to be sitting in my classroom in May and getting the call telling me I have to pack my bags and leave to BMQ in 2 weeks. If anyone has any information on this that would be great.

I thoroughly recommend earning some form of post-secondary education.  There are several reasons why, but relating mainly to a career in the CF, several applicants in competition against you will have it, and that's the standard for most trades. In addition to continued education, volunteering, employment experience and the like is also very common among the majority of applicants.  Your level of competitiveness for the trades you want will not be very substantial applying right out of high-school.  I'm by no means implying you shouldn't try if you really think you have a good chance, but be aware of what you're up against.

As well, know that the process of getting accepted into the CF is lengthy for most.  Some applicants get through the process very quickly, but not the majority.

Please investigate the recruiting forums for further information.  There are many who have posed similar questions and I know you'll find more on the answers you're looking for.  Best of luck!

I would go into the CFRC and apply right now, making sure you tell them you can't go away for BMQ until after your graduate high school. In my experience, they're good like that and they recognize you're a human being and may have other priorities already in place.

The process could take quite a while so the earlier the better. Infantry, from what I've read on these forums, is fairly full and won't be as easy to get into as it was a few years ago.

Good luck!

My son applied in November of his Grade 12 year.  He did all of the testing before he graduated.  Once he graduated his was Merit Listed in June then received a Job offer in July went off to basic as of August.  I would recommend applying when you are in Grade 12.  I also agree with the other posts make sure you have the volunteer/work experience/physical fitness ect ect.  It is very competitive and yes my sons application process was pretty easy but many wait a very long time.  He had the extra curricular and volunteer time to help make his application competitive.  Good luck and if it is something you want set your self up for success now. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. Although I don't plan on doing any post secondary education straight out of high school I do have a handful of volunteer experience (I do a lot of volunteer work at my school) and I'm currently working at a local gym as assistant trainer and I've played tons of team sports. Hopefully the CF finds me appealing enough :)

scriptox said:
Get a post secondary education while you're still young.

I think I am going to skip out on any uni/college until I ever get to a point in life where it is absolutely necessary, not to mention I would be kind of lost on what to take in uni/college since my main goal in life is to join Infantry and I couldn't guess anything that would assist me in that field (If anyone does know, please advise)

Dnas17 said:
I think I am going to skip out on any uni/college until I ever get to a point in life where it is absolutely necessary, not to mention I would be kind of lost on what to take in uni/college since my main goal in life is to join Infantry and I couldn't guess anything that would assist me in that field (If anyone does know, please advise)

Your main goal in life will be harder to realize if you do not have a post secondary education. Albeit, it is possible; however, difficult. You are one person out of the many thousands applying to the Canadian Forces. You are up against people who want the SAME job as you do. People who ALREADY have Degrees, Diplomas, and tons of work experience.

Make yourself competitive.

If all you want to be is a NCM, then there is really no need for a university or college education. Yes, it will make you more competitive, but not having a degree will certainly not make or break your chances of getting in.

SeR said:
If all you want to be is a NCM, then there is really no need for a university or college education. Yes, it will make you more competitive, but not having a degree will certainly not make or break your chances of getting in.

Yeah NCM is truly all I'm interested in, and if I was to make it into Infantry I wouldn't be there for 3 years I would want to be there for as long as I can (of course I know things change) but even if they were to change, I have no problem going to school if I have to even if I'm at the age of 30 or so. I will however take the advice of scriptox and possibly look into a post-secondary education before joining the CF depending on how strong my resume is looking in the next few years and other factors etc.

SeR said:

Ser, just for my own understanding, could you (or anyone else) please elaborate on the above? In my mind, one's overall competitiveness is directly related to their chances of getting in or not and if post-secondary is what will give an applicant the substantial advantage over other applicants who have just as much volunteering, cadets, employment-related experience, etc. then I don't see how "not" having post-secondary will not play a vital role in the applicant's chances.  As well, many threads to the contrary state that a high percentage of applicants possess post-secondary for many different trades, whether officially required or not.

I'm not a recruiter, so am just looking for more insight as to the process beyond what I've already come to learn.

What I said was that yes, having a degree does help, but if you don't have one, then your chances of getting in aren't ruined, in fact, many people in the Forces have no form of post-secondary education at all.

Think carefully about choosing not to pursue post-secondary education.  Going right into the 'Forces from high school has been an option for many, but especially in the combat arms, without some kind of alternative plan you're likely to get yourself pigeonholed into doing just one thing for the rest of your life.

For example, suppose you get injured?  I've encountered many ex CF members who are former combat arms who voluntarily released for medical reasons.  Without post secondary, what's a chronically injured infantry soldier to do?  Your ability to develop marketable skills in the infantry, without looking into college is pretty limited.  It's certainly possible that you'll have a long, happy career without becoming ill or injured.  But don't forget that infantry especially takes a very hard toll on the body, and eventually, what you put yourself through tends to catch up with you. 

It's your choice, obviously, but I strongly suggest you do one of two things. 

Either, go to, and finish college in some marketable skill before you join the CF.

Or:

Put some kind of college on your Personal Learning Plan immediately after you finish BMQ.  And once you do that, make it a point to get a few courses done, per semester until you graduate.  That's easier said than done with all the courses and everything else that you'll have to do, but do it anyway.  That way, if you do get hurt, or discover that you can't manage the combat arms anymore once you reach your 50's, you'll have something that you can do to pay the bills. 

Either way, the best way to secure your future against mishaps, (and they do happen!) is to have a fall-back plan ready without needing to spend a lot of time and money on education.  College via distance learning can certainly be done while you're 20 and in the infantry.  You're going to find it a lot harder to manage college in your 40's or 50's, especially if you have to then spend a few years as an apprentice before you make decent money.

SeR said:
What I said was that yes, having a degree does help, but if you don't have one, then your chances of getting in aren't ruined

You would be surprised at how competitive it is now.

SeR said:
in fact, many people in the Forces have no form of post-secondary education at all.

You don't say...

scriptox said:
You would be surprised at how competitive it is now.

I know many people who got their first choice coming right out of high school and without much else on their resume, so it's not as competitive as your making it out to be.

scriptox said:
You don't say...

Is there a point your trying to make with this comment?

SeR said:
I know many people who got their first choice coming right out of high school and without much else on their resume, so it's not as competitive as your making it out to be.

One thing understood is that it is indeed competitive. Going back to the OP, getting a post-secondary education wouldn't be a bad idea. What do you have to lose? Make yourself more competitive and smarter. Seems like a win win for me.

Just curious SeR, are you currently in the application process?

SeR said:
Is there a point your trying to make with this comment?

None at all. I just think it's funny that you're pointing out an obvious fact to a current military member. But thanks.

Back