• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Yes, and I'm hoping they go with something better than the CPFs (which likely won't get swapped over as there is an overlap of the ships in operation). There are plenty of existing names that could be used, but I'm a big fan of a 'First Nations' class where the old crests are redone (with the relevant FN band having input).

Lots of pretty amazing FN artists, think that would be a pretty concrete step towards reconciliation. The war canoes were the first real Canadian warships, so why not?
Naming committee starts meetings in the new year. Stay tuned.

Who's on that committee? And how does one get input into it?

This is going round the buoy again but I'm completely in favour of @Navy_Pete 's position on this.

Or use First Nations mythological creatures as names. Mainly because I want to see HMCS Wendigo and HMCS Thunderbird be a thing.

This is going round the buoy again but I'm completely in favour of @Navy_Pete 's position on this.

Or use First Nations mythological creatures as names. Mainly because I want to see HMCS Wendigo and HMCS Thunderbird be a thing.
Also, having a real life person can be problematic if it turns out that they did something politically/optically "bad" (e.g. Cornwallis).

Not that HMCS RHG would go that far (maybe), but it might get a little awkward if it does a port visit in Japan...

Send me your input.

Yes, and I'm hoping they go with something better than the CPFs (which likely won't get swapped over as there is an overlap of the ships in operation). There are plenty of existing names that could be used, but I'm a big fan of a 'First Nations' class where the old crests are redone (with the relevant FN band having input).

Lots of pretty amazing FN artists, think that would be a pretty concrete step towards reconciliation. The war canoes were the first real Canadian warships, so why not?
There was originally a move afoot to recycle the city class names. It had some support but died with the chaos between MacDonald-Baines-Topshee.

We’ll now be starting fresh. Also I have a bit of an issue calling them frigates because they have the displacement of a WWII Cruiser and tte firepower of a pocket battleship. They should be classed as destroyers at a minimum, but you know, politics.

Yep: a Naval Aviator, you know, the ones that teach the AF how it's supposed to be done. ;)
Good point, OGBD! Not sure how much true blue AF types are capable of learning from aviators (Naval, Tactical or SF)… 😉x2

There was originally a move afoot to recycle the city class names. It had some support but died with the chaos between MacDonald-Baines-Topshee.

We’ll now be starting fresh. Also I have a bit of an issue calling them frigates because they have the displacement of a WWII Cruiser and tte firepower of a pocket battleship. They should be classed as destroyers at a minimum, but you know, politics.
I'm not overly in favour of recycling the city class, particularly as there will still be city class sailing right up to when the first ship hits the water.

Are destroyers considered general purpose ships or are the AAW and Command and Control ships mainly?

I'm a big propenent of classifying the ships for their role not their tonnage. CSC is an odd duck. It's not really a full AAW ship but does well in the self defence category and with its consorts contributes to the entire fleets AAW capability. It is a fully capable ASW platform and C&C ship.

IMHO either destroyer or frigate would work for this class. I ignore tonnage because that's not how ships are classified. If that were the case then the Aircraft carriers would have all been called battleships or battlecruisers.

Last edited:
I agree with Navy Pete here: Aren't we in the middle of attempting reconciliation? What better way than by honouring our first nations while simultaneously recognising their warrior prowess and past with their input and consent.

I agree with Navy Pete here: Aren't we in the middle of attempting reconciliation? What better way than by honouring our first nations while simultaneously recognising their warrior prowess and past with their input and consent.
If we do decide to use First Nation names we’ll have to do a much better job of engagement with that community than we have done in the past.

This has to be approached with care.

At least on the west coast, those canoes were used for hunting, warfighting and slave raiding.

That last one might be tricky for some people to swallow.

If we do decide to use First Nation names we’ll have to do a much better job of engagement with that community than we have done in the past.
For sure.

The AOPVs are doing a decent job of demonstrating that can be done. NWS modernization is yet another opportunity for that. For the southern, inland tribes, NavRes divisions can - and have been! - leveraged.

We can probably expect some ''cultural appropriation'' noise from the activist types. That will have to be addressed. I don't know how the Tribal class naming went over; I wasn't there. But in this era of social media, we can't expect that just because we've had the Destroyers, that this issue is already resolved.

For sure.

The AOPVs are doing a decent job of demonstrating that can be done. NWS modernization is yet another opportunity for that. For the southern, inland tribes, NavRes divisions can - and have been! - leveraged.

We can probably expect some ''cultural appropriation'' noise from the activist types. That will have to be addressed. I don't know how the Tribal class naming went over; I wasn't there. But in this era of social media, we can't expect that just because we've had the Destroyers, that this issue is already resolved.
as mentioned above, stay away from the tribal names and go for names from their mythology

I still think we should steal British ship names like HMCS Conquerer, Victorious, Indomitable and Magnificent.

We can call them the 'Bad Ass Class'

I still think we should steal British ship names like HMCS Conquerer, Victorious, Indomitable and Magnificent.

I'd like to see an HMCS Worsley. To save you time trying to Google it, he was the lieutenant in command of the Nancy during the War of 1812. Lost his ship to a superior fleet but then rowed the supplies he was responsible for to Macinac. En route they spotted two American ships so went back after dropping off the supplies and captured them. Great story, good tradition especially given your tasks of doing more with less all the time. How about a rowboat against a sloop of war.

I'd like to see an HMCS Worsley. To save you time trying to Google it, he was the lieutenant in command of the Nancy during the War of 1812. Lost his ship to a superior fleet but then rowed the supplies he was responsible for to Macinac. En route they spotted two American ships so went back after dropping off the supplies and captured them. Great story, good tradition especially given your tasks of doing more with less all the time. How about a rowboat against a sloop of war.

Don't give the GoC ideas, if they think a rowboat would the job that is exactly what they will get! ;)

HMCS  Shannon. And Indefatigable.

Also, the last HMCS Magnificent was an aircraft carrier , so it would only be appropriate to reuse that name on an aircraft carrier.

The 280s at the end of life were pretty well engaged with the bands, and actually learned a bit about the Athabaskan tribe from that. From what I remember, there were Elders there as part of the retirement but the COs/Coxn had regular contact with them as well, and did the occasional visit.

Maybe a start would be to float the idea past the AFN and ask if there is interest? There are already the 4 280s and a whack of others that already have a history/battle honours, but would be more interesting than the safe option.

I have really enjoyed some of the ships I've been on, but the CHA crest of 5 squares doesn't really start any conversations, where some kind of interesting FN art would. I'm sure that can't hurt recruiting at all.

Quite possibly the best crests.

Though maybe not as good as HMCS Discovery's.
During six years spent on and off at CFFS(E), I walked past the various ship and stone frigate crests daily that were by the Engineering Division building entrance. I thought Discovery’s from a heraldic stand point was a bit underwhelming. I mentioned it to one of my instructors who just smirked and said “you’re kidding right? Look at it and sound it out.” Instant embarrassing lightbulb moment.

I’m an idiot.

If Discovery doesn't have this as the main heraldic element...

art disco ball GIF by mr. div

Back