• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

I not only had a tour, I spend nearly three months sailing in one.

VAN was outboard of us for about a week alongside in Pearl Harbor. It was interesting looking down on her hangar top from the bridge of MAX. Our flight deck was higher than VAN'S bridge.

The two man cabins were also a nice upgrade from a 6-12 man mess deck.
The overall height of the vessel was one of the most striking features. I was trying to gauge how far above the waterline the bridge was, by looking at the RHIB ferrying passengers around her. I’m guessing over 40 feet, but that’s kind of rough given how far away I was.

It'd be interesting to have any of the AOPS visit Churchill or Moosonee or any of the other ports in Hudson Bay or James Bay.
Does anyone have a schedule for the Great Lakes Deployment? The Kingston article mentions the cities being visited but no dates and a quick Google search didn't find anything.

I think the only place the UN tripwire worked was in the Golan (prior to the civil war) the Sinai and Cypress .
It didn’t work in the Sinai. UNEF couldn’t prevent the 1967 war, and the Camp David accords intentionally didn’t even bother with the UN, MFO instead being a bit of a home brew solution that mostly works better than actual UN peacekeeping.

Back