• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Does anyone know if the 2 CCG AOPS's will have the same max speed as the RCN version or different? Is there a substantial lightening of the overall weight between the CCG version and the RCN version?

I have noticed at the Fleet Week there are RCN types that do great at interacting with the public (the majority of them) and those who do it grudgingly. If you are going to run one of these event, make sure the pointy end is staffed by people that enjoy it and put the grumpy non-interactive ones behind the scenes doing some sort of support role.
Remember that the "staff" at those events are the sailors that are part of the ship's company.

Often times the ship doing tours has been on a working sail (trials, WUPS, etc...), and they are being tasked to do tours on what would normally be a day off. I don't know many businesses where the staff would be happy to be working on their days off...

Remember that the "staff" at those events are the sailors that are part of the ship's company.

Often times the ship doing tours has been on a working sail (trials, WUPS, etc...), and they are being tasked to do tours on what would normally be a day off. I don't know many businesses where the staff would be happy to be working on their days off...
True, but if you want more sailors, then you need to do the work to get them. You need a lot of interactions to get one recruit. The quality of those interactions might induce someone to join or avoid the Service. If they are not of age, you might be cutting short a potentiel future recruit. Young people are very much influenced by the quality of that interaction and will often make career choices based on one interaction.

True, but if you want more sailors, then you need to do the work to get them. You need a lot of interactions to get one recruit. The quality of those interactions might induce someone to join or avoid the Service. If they are not of age, you might be cutting short a potentiel future recruit. Young people are very much influenced by the quality of that interaction and will often make career choices based on one interaction.
The navy needing more sailors isn't going to change human nature...

You have to work with the people you have, and if they're overworked and unhappy, you're not going to have chipper tour guides.

That's why I was facetious with the AOPS speed a few days ago. I understand that when the ships hit some of Canada's largest cities, with tons of things to do ashore, they stay in harbour for a lot longer than the number of days they are open for visitors, specifically so they can give everybody a good chance of going ashore and enjoying themselves. Besides, there often are perks offered to the crew, such as attending a free pro Hockey/baseball/football/basketball game on the team's invite (some times, I wish that would also happen from musical's or classical orchestras, operas or ballets - but for some unfathomable reason, it never does) .

That's why I was facetious with the AOPS speed a few days ago. I understand that when the ships hit some of Canada's largest cities, with tons of things to do ashore, they stay in harbour for a lot longer than the number of days they are open for visitors, specifically so they can give everybody a good chance of going ashore and enjoying themselves. Besides, there often are perks offered to the crew, such as attending a free pro Hockey/baseball/football/basketball game on the team's invite (some times, I wish that would also happen from musical's or classical orchestras, operas or ballets - but for some unfathomable reason, it never does) .
I will argue that at this point recruiting and training up the recruited are as important or even more so than the current operations.

Does anyone know if the 2 CCG AOPS's will have the same max speed as the RCN version or different? Is there a substantial lightening of the overall weight between the CCG version and the RCN version?
I'd like to know that as well. The CCG versions appear to have a 5-bladed prop, versus 4 on the AOPV, but otherwise I believe the propulsion system is identical.

if they are worth seeing, there are probably no empty seats. But seriously, a wonderful idea.

(some times, I wish that would also happen from musical's or classical orchestras, operas or ballets - but for some unfathomable reason, it never does) .
Complete sidebar, but there were a bunch of free Broadway tickets when we went to NY Fleet week. Similarly all the museums etc were free. A pretty random bunch went to the musicals, stopped off at the Gugenheim etc and a lot of people that never would have otherwise gone enjoyed it.

Those are generally donated though, but they also know the ships are coming and it's a big thing. I don't think our visits get any real excitement or publicity outside a small subset of people that already are interested.

Complete sidebar, but there were a bunch of free Broadway tickets when we went to NY Fleet week. Similarly all the museums etc were free. A pretty random bunch went to the musicals, stopped off at the Gugenheim etc and a lot of people that never would have otherwise gone enjoyed it.

Those are generally donated though, but they also know the ships are coming and it's a big thing. I don't think our visits get any real excitement or publicity outside a small subset of people that already are interested.
or as I have found, they just don't think about it. If you bring it to their attention you might just get a good response. don't know

Even though it's not free, when I lived in Montreal, you could always count on good military turnout at the ballet.

I See You Soccer GIF by UEFA

Complete sidebar, but there were a bunch of free Broadway tickets when we went to NY Fleet week. Similarly all the museums etc were free. A pretty random bunch went to the musicals, stopped off at the Guggenheim etc and a lot of people that never would have otherwise gone enjoyed it.

Fleet week in New York was always a favourite of mine. Last time I was there took in a Dodgers and a Yankee game, free admission to the 9/11 memorial and freedom tower, Natural History, Guggenheim, USS Intrepid museum, Jersey Boys play and had some tasty BBQ at a Fox and Friends taping that included free BBQ accessories. That and all the free giveaways in food, smacks etc at the pavilion put on by the USO. In pretty much every bar people buying you drinks. It was embarrassing the hospitality shown to us.

Fleet week in New York was always a favourite of mine. Last time I was there took in a Dodgers and a Yankee game, free admission to the 9/11 memorial and freedom tower, Natural History, Guggenheim, USS Intrepid museum, Jersey Boys play and had some tasty BBQ at a Fox and Friends taping that included free BBQ accessories. That and all the free giveaways in food, smacks etc at the pavilion put on by the USO. In pretty much every bar people buying you drinks. It was embarrassing the hospitality shown to us.
I ended up getting free Chargers tickets when I did San Diego Fleet Week, as well as many, many, many free pitchers of craft beer at Kansas City Barbeque.

Back