• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are MP’s (Military Police) allowed to come in messes without work related reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure the MPs have their own mess?  They may have a club, but a club is not a mess.  As a general rule, Regular Force locations will only have one mess per rank group.  There are many exceptions of course, but these are mostly for specific historic or administrative reasons (e.g. combined messes where populations don't warrant separate messes).  Even in those cases where there are seemingly multiple messes for the same rank group (e.g. RA Park and the Wardroom in Halifax or the Gunroom and Wardroom in Esquimalt) you will find that they are in fact the same mess, but with two facilities.

More to the point in this thread, however, is that I suspect the MP "mess" is actually constituted as a club and that the MPs are also ordinary members of the regular messes on the base.  Look at it this way, a base commander is obligated by regulation to provide messes for each rank group on a base.  This includes not just the facility itself, but also staff to run it, as well as resources for operations and maintenance.  What base commander is going to do this for more messes than he's obligated to?  As an NPF club, the MP "Club" can set membership criteria, just as any other NPF club.  So no, you cannot go to their club, but yes they can go to events in their mess (which happens to be the same as yours).

It's also worth noting that by regulation, all CF regular and reserve members are honorary members of every CF mess appropriate to their rank, except the mess in which they are ordinary members (i.e. the one where they pay dues).  The only exception to this is shipboard messes.  This means, that even if the MP in question is not an ordinary member of your mess, he still allowed to come in and enjoy your "hospitality" as an honorary member.  Messes are of course allowed to charge honorary members an extra fee (e.g. the "guest" vice "member" rate for a function), but this is likely more trouble than it's worth for a hot dog - keeping in mind that these sorts of events are designed to get more people in the door.

PS:  This is all explained in the PSP Policy Manual.

Somerandomfellow said:
Soooo you don’t have your own mess then? What base is that? On this one they do have their own. If there’s one mess then no I don’t have a problem, if you have your own and come into ours, maybe I do have a problem. Depends on where your dues are going.

The MP mess here is quite nice.

We have an MP “mess” here......but guess what?  I pay into the Jr Ranks not the MP one....and it’s been like that at every base I’ve been to.

Sorry you don’t like us playing in your little playground.....but it’s ours too so get over yourself.

Somerandomfellow said:
That’s poor advice. It’s only worth 2 cents, they don’t even make pennies anymore.

Ok I will take offence to this, maybe I love MP's/Police in general to much.

But I personally feel this is a bigoted opinion to have, hold and believe. Yes, some officers are bad, but some citizens are too.

If you have been breaking the law, or have something to hide, then yeah maybe being honest or having friends who are officers is a bad idea. I would like to think we are not all gang bangers were having friends with cops equals jail time.

I just imported a sailboat to Canada and the officers I dealt with, I actually wanted to buy them coffee and bs with cause they were great guys. I have friends who are cops and they would do anything to help, protect and render assistance to anyone who needs it. So I take it personally when people hate on the boys in blue.

So this idea of not liking, respecting or socializing with cops is in my opinion elementary in this day and age. They are human, yes they make mistakes and yes sometimes when we make mistakes they have to be pricks.

But they do not in any way deserve to be hated on.

Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
So this idea of not liking, respecting or socializing with cops is in my opinion elementary in this day and age. They are human, yes they make mistakes and yes sometimes when we make mistakes they have to be pricks.

But they do not in any way deserve to be hated on.

Abdullah

Please correctly read what I said before you reply, I said “treat with respect and be polite”. 

If you choose to talk to police that’s your perogative, but you’re under no obligation to chat with them or buy them coffee.

Also, you’re using the term bigoted very loosely, and that’s not really a word I’d personally throw around...

ExRCDcpl said:
We have an MP “mess” here......but guess what?  I pay into the Jr Ranks not the MP one....and it’s been like that at every base I’ve been to.

Sorry you don’t like us playing in your little playground.....but it’s ours too so get over yourself.

So can I choose to pay into the MP mess and play in their little playground instead of ours?

Pusser said:
Are you sure the MPs have their own mess?  They may have a club, but a club is not a mess.  As a general rule, Regular Force locations will only have one mess per rank group.  There are many exceptions of course, but these are mostly for specific historic or administrative reasons (e.g. combined messes where populations don't warrant separate messes).  Even in those cases where there are seemingly multiple messes for the same rank group (e.g. RA Park and the Wardroom in Halifax or the Gunroom and Wardroom in Esquimalt) you will find that they are in fact the same mess, but with two facilities.

More to the point in this thread, however, is that I suspect the MP "mess" is actually constituted as a club and that the MPs are also ordinary members of the regular messes on the base.  Look at it this way, a base commander is obligated by regulation to provide messes for each rank group on a base.  This includes not just the facility itself, but also staff to run it, as well as resources for operations and maintenance.  What base commander is going to do this for more messes than he's obligated to?  As an NPF club, the MP "Club" can set membership criteria, just as any other NPF club.  So no, you cannot go to their club, but yes they can go to events in their mess (which happens to be the same as yours).

It's also worth noting that by regulation, all CF regular and reserve members are honorary members of every CF mess appropriate to their rank, except the mess in which they are ordinary members (i.e. the one where they pay dues).  The only exception to this is shipboard messes.  This means, that even if the MP in question is not an ordinary member of your mess, he still allowed to come in and enjoy your "hospitality" as an honorary member.  Messes are of course allowed to charge honorary members an extra fee (e.g. the "guest" vice "member" rate for a function), but this is likely more trouble than it's worth for a hot dog - keeping in mind that these sorts of events are designed to get more people in the door.

PS:  This is all explained in the PSP Policy Manual.

Thanks for the clairification, I’ll have to take a look and see if it’s a club vs. a mess. It definitely comes off as a mess, but I will take a look when I have time, also thank you for the reference.

I figured MPs would have their own mess due to the nature of their work, and by the sounds of it, some bases do have separate messes and some don’t.

Somerandomfellow said:
I figured MPs would have their own mess due to the nature of their work, and by the sounds of it, some bases do have separate messes and some don’t.

There are lots of trades and jobs that would have their own mess 'due to the nature of their work' if that was the case; I have access to lots of things that supply techs, maintainers, HRAs, etc don't need to know about in their line of work and...I know the Mess isn't cleared for those kinds of conversations and don't have them there.

If you mean "because they can arrest people"...you might want to read this.  I know MPs have peace officer status, but they're not the only CAF members who can arrest someone colouring outside the lines.

There seems to be a few people who are under the impression that I “hate” military police, which isn’t true. There’s a big difference between hatred and simply not trusting, or preferring to keep my distance. Always treat MPs with respect and be polite, but you don’t have to say anything you don’t want to. All this post is about is “do MPs have a separate mess?”

Somerandomfellow said:
There seems to be a few people who are under the impression that I “hate” military police, which isn’t true. There’s a big difference between hatred and simply not trusting, or preferring to keep my distance. Always treat MPs with respect and be polite, but you don’t have to say anything you don’t want to. All this post is about is “do MPs have a separate mess?”

If I was mistaken I am sorry, I use the term very specifically. Mayhap I misread you and your opinions.

I see a lot of hate these days, drives me insane to be honest.

AbdullahD said:
I see a lot of hate these days, drives me insane to be honest.

Easy to hate. Difficult to love.  :)

Somerandomfellow said:
If that truly is the case, you might want to go back and re-read what you've been writing. Trying to say now that all this post is about is, "do MPs have a separate mess?" is just a bit disingenuous at this point.

Bottom Line: MP are members of the same mess as you and have as much right to be there as you do. Get over yourself.

[quote author=Abdullah]

But I personally feel this is a bigoted opinion to have, hold and believe.
[/quote]
Being intollerent of someone elses opinion is the definition of bigotry.

Somerandomfellow said:
So can I choose to pay into the MP mess and play in their little playground instead of ours?

I wasn’t given the option which I pay into.....it was Jr Ranks or Jr Ranks.

We get it....you likely talked yourself into cells one night and now the big bad MPs shouldn’t be allowed near you.

This thread has become less than pointless.

We pay into the Jr Ranks and can therefore attend Jr Ranks functions.

/thread

[quote author=garb811] Trying to say now that all this post is about is, "do MPs have a separate mess?" is just a bit disingenuous at this point.

[/quote]
Yup.

Jarnhamar said:
Being intollerent of someone elses opinion is the definition of bigotry.

bigot noun
big·​ot | \ ˈbi-gət  \
Definition of bigot
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

If one believes a persons opinion fits that definition then it is not bigoted to call it a bigoted opinion to have. With my comment I have not displayed the qualifiers to make it in itself a bigoted opinion.

So your comment is not applicable to mine. From where I sit. I corrected myself when he explained himself, which is contrary to the definition.

This one should be shutdown.  I think the question has been answered

Spencer100 said:
This one should be shutdown.  I think the question has been answered

Agreed. Locked.

No need to rehash this one, or devolve into the hate fest for MPs - and I appreciate the membership keeping that out of it, for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back