Well I am still a civi but from my civi interactions and people I know. This is the level of PC culture I currently have to deal with.
Here is some rules I follow and these have been around for years, the bigger the company the worse it gets. I have worked at IBM, Flour Daniels, Enbridge, Capital Power, Unisys etc..
1. Do not use pronouns in correspondence. Everyone is a "User" or an "Individual"
2. Always use "We" when using personal identifier in correspondence or conversations
3. Never ever have the opposite "sex" in a closed office situation. If you need to have a conversation on a one on one have HR in the room.
4. Always defer to HR if job performance is questioned of an employee
5. If it wasn't in an Email it wasn't said. Document everything. <--- This is my daily life
6. Follow up all meetings with an Email of Notes.
7. Canada is a single consent state for recordings, so record EVERYTHING.
8. Never get into an elevator with only one "sex" persons being in the elevator
9. Never show any tattoos. All my ink is hidden.
10. Never wear any perfume/cologne
11. Do not use fabric softeners or detergents with scent
12. Never engage in small talk with customer underlings outside of "how is the weather"
13. Apologize for everything before any work starts
14. Never speak on some ones behalf with out proof (usually emails)
15. Show up to "team" exercises but never ever opt in to go for after hour or personal stuff with coworkers
16. Never talk about family or personal business. If you need to take time off just "Personal business"
17. Ask for received receipts and read receipts on emails.
18. Never acknowledge received receipts and read receipts on emails.
20. Use ambiguous and convoluted language in sensitive emails, IE: Cloud, Opportunity, Challenge, Outstanding, etc..
21. Pretend to be dumb or deaf when asked questions that are loaded.
22. Don't voice any opinion especially religious or political in clients or work environment
23. Have an excuse for avoiding personal interaction outside of work. Gym, Volunteering, school.. I am in perpetual schooling.
24. Dress appropriately, look professional at all times.
25. When pressed for answers that may pertain to uncomfortable questions (political, personal, religious) Identify as a minority.. I am a perpetual immigrant and an outsider. Due to my skin color I avoid calling my self "Canadian" then say you have no real opinion on the matter
26. Look busy even if you are pretending because all your work is done. Do not give a reason for a supervisor, client, coworkers to bad mouth you.
27. Never put your hands in your pockets
28. Book everything in your Calendar
29. Know how to change the subject quickly
30. Never Ever engage in a Personal relationship with a coworker, customer, client. DON'T EAT WHERE YOU DEFECATE!
31. HAVE NO SOCIAL MEDIA Under your real identity!
I have been very successful in my personal career, still employed with no end in sight of work.
I have certain life rules and my main one is: "Hate everyone equally unless they give you a reason to love them"
I know this all sounds very cynical but a large chunk of my life has been spent outside of Canada and a long time ago I came to the realization that noone gives a crap about you and if you disapear the world will go on just fine with out you. So do your job and go home and enjoy your life your way.