• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armd Recce Phase Trng

Matty

Inactive
Reaction score
Gents,

Been in a Reserve Armoured Recce unit for a number of years. Taking the leap to officer and going on phase trng this summer. I'm looking for a decent breakdown on what exactly to expect so I can prep. Most of my unit's officers are ex-regs and not much use for answering this question. All I have to go on is the recruiting page...

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Lessdixic said:
Gents,

Been in a Reserve Armoured Recce unit for a number of years. Taking the leap to officer and going on phase trng this summer. I'm looking for a decent breakdown on what exactly to expect so I can prep. Most of my unit's officers are ex-regs and not much use for answering this question. All I have to go on is the recruiting page...

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ask them first for the info on what was once called CAP and prep for the 5 Mods

Phase 2 = CLC/PLQ

Phase 3 = Crew Commander course

Phase 4 = Troop warrant course

ish. but those are kind of the equivalencies.

1) CAP (Common Army Phase), now renamed BMOQ-L (Basic Military Officer Qualifications - Land);
- 5 x 2 wk mods. First week in garrison (theory), second week in field.

2) ARTL DP 1.1 (Crew Commander);
- They keep shortening it, but two weeks garrison, four weeks field. Traces every day, sometimes two a day.

3) ARTL DP 1.2 (Patrol Commander and Troop Leader);
- Ptrl Comd is a week of theory, then a week on VBS (Virtual Battle Space), basically a computer system, worse than GTA, the original.
- Tp Ldr is two weeks of theory, then is/was four or five weeks (again, they keep shortening it) in the field. One trace every two or three days.

Best is to get CAP done in one shot, if you can afford the time away (ten weeks). Some folks, because of leave from civi employment, do CAP one mod at a time...which can take five years, if you don't fail a mod.

Then DP 1.1 and 1.2, you can also split in half. I split it (home life reasons), Crew Comd one summer, Tp Ldr the next, and often regret it. Had a great staff for 1.1, even a certain ex-CDS' son as Crs O, which was AWESOME, and made good friends. 1.2 wasn't great, staff were hammering the CComd candidates from earlier because they kept stepping on their own d**ks, and it carried over when we arrived.

But it's a long summer away total time, and can't always be done civi-side.

Back