• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Meeting & Greeting in Toronto

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I'm on leave soon and will be in Toronto for a bit.  I've talked to a couple others who will be around, and decided to post this to see who all comes out of the woodwork. 

Thinking about Friday, 28 July.  Anyone interested, post some suggestions for times and places, or an alternate date if that doesn't work.

Mich

I'd go but I have no idea for places... and I'd appreciate if someone has a couch or something such where I could crash. Or a suggestion for a cheap hotel/motel.  :p

So... yah, I'd be in... maybe.

Frederik G said:
I'd go but I have no idea for places... and I'd appreciate if someone has a couch or something such where I could crash. Or a suggestion for a cheap hotel/motel.  :p

So... yah, I'd be in... maybe.

You're in the Navy.  Didn't you know:
1. You can get yourself clean
2. You can have a good meal
3. You can do whatever you feel.
Apparently it's fun to stay at the YMCA.... ;D

zipperhead_cop said:
You're in the Navy.  Didn't you know:
1. You can get yourself clean
2. You can have a good meal
3. You can do whatever you feel.
Apparently it's fun to stay at the YMCA.... ;D

I don't fit the "main" Navy stereotype though, so maybe staying at YMCA isn't safe for my behind...

If this comes around and I could make it, I'd be more than happy to buy a drink or two(dozen) for ya people.

Hehe, kissin' arse before I'm even in BMQ ;)

I'm in

Anyone got any good hotel sugestions, something close to the airport would be cool since I'm flying out of Pearson on Saturday.

I can make it to Toronto if I'm given an address or directions.  And I'll bring my coin ;D

Jacob said:
I can make it to Toronto id I'm given an address or directions.  And I'll bring my coin ;D

Shhh, don't remind people.

Okay, we need a local to determine a place.  Anyone?

I live in Toronto,  I know of a few good places to go,  although none near the airport and the only cheep hotel I know is way downtown.  If you guys  (including the gals) want,  I can look at where can look into places to go - give the place a heads up sailors are comming ;-) . Off the top of my head I'd suggest Brass Taps on Carlton - good prices/food and it has pool tabel.  Also it is a short drunken stumbel away from a few cheep a hoteles.  I know on Parliment street there are a few other pubs.... or perhaps something in Midtown. I would suggest sttering clear of Richmond street though.  I live downtown,  but anyehere in TO is good for me (if ttc goes there, so can I)

There's a very good chance that I would be able to attend that night.

Depending on how things go with my move, I`d be game.
Just need time, place and if there is parking that is safe and cheap nearby.

MM

Ok first lets define cheap as in regards to hotels. Having gone thorough this putting up surplus relatives for a family get together on the May 24th weekend I can tell ya cheap downtown can mean $200-600.00 a night. Mind that was a long weekend. There are of course cheaper alternatives; I have a list of various men’s hostels and shelters would you prefer fortified wine or non fortified wine on your rubber mat section. ;D

Seriously there are some budget options downtown. Ryerson has a fully functioning hotel that they train their students in. Rooms are available in the sumer and go for under $70.00 a night single IIRC and I believe they offer student discounts. There's also a couple of really cheap back packer type places incluidng one near Ryerson and another near the bus depot.

Mike L as you’re flying the next day check into some of the airport strip hotels, many offer deals for those on flights the next day.

As for pub location let’s define what we need, want.

First as we’ll be scattered all over the city and it’s a big city close to a subway line is a must.

Second a patio is a must too. It’s summer and might as well take advantage of it. Besides it’s the only place you can smoke (until Pit Bull Party Boy George figures how to ban smoking outside).

Options include Downtown, Young and Eligible, the Danforth, the Beach, Yorkville or perhaps Bloor W near U of T.

My wife and I stayed at the Sutton Place in a very decent room for $153.00 plus tax, military and NATO discount.  Quality Suites Airport Hotel is great at $99.99 plus tax.  Just my two pence worth so to say.

Mich, I'm sorry for not seeing this earlier; I've been ignoring everyone though so it's nothing personal!

First, the watering holes(crash pads later)

I work right by the airport. I think Zet's is pretty much it LOL.

There's only one pub like place around there that features clothed entertainers ;D That said, it's not very good. There is a Pat & Mario's on Dixon(aka Airport Road) for those who prefer a more restaurant type place. There's also Wild Goose at Renforth & Eglinton. Biggest problem with anything near the airport is that transit there sucks.

For those who want something close to the airport and on the subway(short stagger or cab ride away) there's a spot called Scruffy Murphy's near Kipling subway station(Dundas & 427) I've never been there but Tess says it's good and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Truth be told I'm far more familiar with downtown spots - Duke of Argyle, Gabby's(on King), Shoeless Joe's, Gretzky's, Jersey Giant, Bier Markt, Scotland Yard. Central to both the Yonge and Bloor lines are James Joyce, Pauper's Pub, and the Firkin in the Bloor/Spadina area. Another place I haven't been too in ages is Allen's on the Danforth, right by Broadview subway.

Oh, how could I forget Toronto's oldest pub - the venerable Wheat Sheaf. Not right on the subway line but a short cab or streetcar ride to either the N/S or E/W subway lines. It's actually the perfect walking distance to sober up in time before going home to the spouse ;)

As for the crash pad/hotel, if all you want is a clean, inexpensive room where you can sleep and then walk down the hall for a shower, U of T dorm rooms are a steal. I think they're under $50.00 a night definitely under $75.00(last time I checked)

You're in luck because there are some great room rates via expedia .ca If you want closest to the airport, you can't beat Sheraton Toronto Airport. Hampton, Marriott Courtyard, Sandalwood Suites and Quality Suites are all good choices.

Well you lot have just proven what I have thought all along about T.O..
It SUCK'S!!!!!!!

TMM Good choices on watering holes. I was waiting until we decided on an area before getting into specifics. There are a few places up near the airport where the ladies do remain clothed though, Arizona’s comes to mind. Unless the tequila is flowing on ladies night there, then maybe articles of clothing may go AWOL but it’s strictly a spontaneous and amateur event.

However unless we have a majority in that area, I’d suggest staying away form the airport strip. Distances between bars etc is far ( “other side of the runway”) public transit especially at night is minimal and cabs can get expensive there.

Re rooms and expedia here’s a tip. All those sites are good for research, however you are better off calling the hotel direct. You’ll often get a better rate ( student, government, military etc) than that on line.

I'm in i reckon, been wanting to go to Toronto for a while now. The sharing a room thing sounds alright too if anyone is interested in going halves, thirds or 1/8ths with a clean smelling Australian bloke. Why not go all out and hit up a $200 double room for a few of us? Just ask a couple of different staff for cots so they dont realise that we've got 8 people hidden away in there. Anyone up for that? Maybe not 8 but 2 or 3ish?

Hale said:
I'm in i reckon, been wanting to go to Toronto for a while now. The sharing a room thing sounds alright too if anyone is interested in going halves, thirds or 1/8ths with a clean smelling Australian bloke. Why not go all out and hit up a $200 double room for a few of us? Just ask a couple of different staff for cots so they dont realise that we've got 8 people hidden away in there. Anyone up for that? Maybe not 8 but 2 or 3ish?

I would've agreed until you said you're Australian...

Seriously though, if anyone else is in, that very well could be the cheapest option.

Better rememeber i'm bred from convicts so you better keep your valuables handy! hahaha. Got to be someone else interested. Think about the money you'll save

Back