• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Cadet Radio's for FTX's

The opening up of the FRS (Family Radio Service) band for general use was really good use of those frequencies.   This gave the average citizen the low-cost use of basic frequencies with good transmission and reception.   There is even a tone coding option to help provide a little more privacy (not that any transmission on these can be considered private).   Mike R23A is right - victor papa is victor papa.   These are great radios for training for all the reasons stated.   They are light, reliable, the batteries don't weigh much and they work.   The one down side is that people tend to think of them as walkie-talkies which they most definitely are not.   The old walkie-talkie worked in a a frequency band that offered very limited range.   The range on the FRS radios is much further, though still basically line of sight, they do provide some ability to bounce signals.

(edited to correct dumb mistake)

Pretty much.  We didnt direct traffic but walked around the market to make sure everything was going smoothely.  If someone attempted to take something we were instructed to inform the actual secuirty guard.  If one of the booths needed help with moving items or equipment etc we were there to help, but for "security" we were pretty much just a few extra sets of eyes.  BTW no one tried to take anything the most exciting part of the day was when I had to help move a tank of propane  ;D

Mike_R23A said:
paracowboy, are there any special admin requirements to signing it out because of the crypto?
well, not if there's no crypto loaded in them.

Thats not fair.  At my corps we have had alot of military personnel help us with our training.  They were hardcore but they helped us because they cared about us.  The same goes for CSTCs as well.  All of those reg/reserve force members wouldnt be there if they didnt care about the kids.

I doubt they even make the old PRC's anymore.  So when they break where do we get new ones.  I don't like the little Motorola's either.  They quite often like to quit working.  But when there's nothing else you have to make do with what you have available to you.

Back