• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army lessons Learned/AAR Improve How?

You seem to have this fixation for age, do you know something that we don't about the teams the Americans send to Iraq that you could share with us?

I would imagine that the Canadian problem has more to do with bureaucracy. I would suggest a more direct approach. Allow all units/commanders to have access online to the AAR's and leave it up to unit commanders to incorporate lessons learned into their training cycle.

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=companycommander.mil&prssweb=Search&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&u=reform.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Final%2520Draft%2520May%252004%2520HASC%2520SubCom%2520%28Weber%29.pdf&w=%22companycommander+.mil%22&d=8DB4CFF327&icp=1&.intl=us

http://ncoteam.org/

Thanks tomahawk, nice links.  I like their immediate dissemination of all urgent labeled material.  Jives exactly with what the USMC guys said they were doing even if it was less structured.

I think the fact that the USMC made an impression during the PPCLI leadership seminar - went along way.  Unfortunately only a small part of the CF got to take advantage of that -- the Lessons Learned Cell IMHO is exactly what sbd alluded too -- anyone remember when they where recommending giving up your weapon to de-escalte the situtations (circa 94-95 Bosnia/Crotia).  ::)

the reason i get caught up on age is that, with younger snr nco's and say capt's your going to get people who not on retirement mode and don't really care. I do think its also a fear of change and alot of older snr nco's fear change, but if we want to be a better army, like the Americans/Brits we have to evolve way quicker.

silentbutdeadly said:
the reason i get caught up on age is that, with younger snr nco's and say capt's your going to get people who not on retirement mode and don't really care. I do think its also a fear of change and alot of older snr nco's fear change, but if we want to be a better army, like the Americans/Brits we have to evolve way quicker.

I think you might be jumping to conclusions about the "retirement mode" and whether the "old guys" don't really care. As was pointed out by tomahawk6 it's more likely bureaucracy than the attitude of those srNCOs/WOs/offrs working the Lessons Learned center. A "pull" system, as tomahawk6 suggests, would probably make it less manpower intensive to get the lessons out to the troops, but it would rely on the commanders (senior officers who may be in retirement mode) to get the info to the troops.

Acorn

yeah i hear ya! i just get frustrated with the whole process sometimes and the people that are affected by this is the troops and Comd's on the ground. :salute:

Back