• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army or Navy? - A Merged Thread

I've been with the naval reserves for 2 years now as an ncm and am working on transfering to the reg force to be an af pilot.  The transfer gives you the choice of 3 trades and I know the pass rate for aircrew selection isn't something to take for granted so I've been putting a lot of thought into what I want for my other choices.  (you don't have to put 3 choices but I'm sold on the cf)

I'm just about done my degree in computer science and can't stand the idea of spending 35 years in front of a computer.  Right now I'm putting a lot of thought into being an officer for one of the combat armes trades.  I've really thrived in the leadership opportunities I've had and I love the idea of a job that pushes me to the limit in that regard.

The big hurdle in my mind right now is that I've never been around the army culture, I feel like I probably don't know what I'd be getting myself into.  I've spent a couple of years around reg and reserve navy, and around some air force.  What are some of the big differences with the army culture and way of doing things (especially with officers since that's what I'm considering)?  Thanks!

I'd like to suggest that only those with experience in Navy and Army roles answer this, or we're going to get the same silly "Army Rules! Navy Sux! Hooah!" stuff that clutters up other sites.
Then we get a big pissin' contest, the mods lock it down, and this dude gets no answers.

Since I have no Naval experience, I'll shut my big yap and move out smartly!

I have the same questions and I just stumbled over this the other day in a used book shop:

Understanding Military Culture: A Canadian Perspective
by: Allan D. English
McGill Queen's Press

Published with a grant form the Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.  Forwards by Rear Admiral David Morse (Commander Cdn. Defence Academy) and Capt. (N) A.C. Okros (Director CF Leadership Institute)

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/077352715X/qid=1127424616/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-8594187-1210767

If you are into sociology it's a good read.  Deals with culture as a general topic, military culture, and sub (branch) cultures within the military.  ..So the Army, Navy, Airforce differences are touched on.  (Also a big chunk devoted to the 'Americanization' of the Canadian military - for better or worse.  ..Looking forward to that bit.)  I'm 35 pages in.

Thanks Joe Blow, that looks like exactly the kind of thing I was trying to find  :salute:

Anyone have some stories about things that caught them off guard about combat arms after they joined?  Things they weren't expecting, that kind of stuff?  Thanks.

As a reserve army NCO working alongside Air Force and Navy NCO's and officers (both Reg and Reserve), I can state that there are significant differences between the different elements. Navy is much more "regimented" than I had thought, and their officers are often more "by the book" than the army officers. Of course, this depends to a great degree on the trade.
BTW, if you're going to ASC, you may want to consider getting some flight training if you don't fly already. It will greatly improve your chances of success.

I felt like this thread was relavant to the discussion:

Mess Dinners
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34874.0.html

When I read it I felt very old ..or was it mature?  :p  Anyway, I am way out of context sitting where I am.  Who knows, maybe i would have a hoot at one of these occasions.

[BTW, that book gets better and better.  Less about the inter-branch cultures than I was expecting (sorry if you already went out and bought it) but a great discussion of how to approach the topic of military culture.]

The only thing that chokes me is when the Navy goes off shore they get Duty Free. :blotto:
;) ;D

I spent 4 years as an Army Radio Technician in CFS Mill Cove, Nova Scotia (a tiny Navy receiver site with an army MACS site added ). Despite
what many will say, the Army and Navy cultures are not that different. Our (the Army guys) boots were shinier and our drill was sharper, but when it came to "doing the job" there was no real difference. In the mess there was a lot of mudslinging but it was all good natured. Army and Navy guys share a common bond in that they both spend a great deal of time away from home, which may be why everyone seemed to get on so well in Mill Cove... it was a chance to get to know our families again

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and need some help deciding my future career in the CAF. (BTW I am a francophone and do apologize for my english)

A year and a half ago, I decided to reorient my career (graphic designer, mostly freelance) and dust off an old dream of mine, becoming an officer in the CAF. So I applied to the montreal recruiting center with those three choices as DEO : 1 - MARSS, 2 - NAVAIR and 3 - Artillery officer. Those choices reflected my interest and preference at that time.

After a long recruiting process and a lot of set backs (I won't get into that), I finally got put on the merit list. 3 days later, I got selected as Artillery Officer. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel and a place for St-Jean at the end of august. So I basically told myself, too bad for MARSS, artillery sounds fun and exciting. I should also mention that I've had previous military experience as a reservist in the Voltigeurs de Québec in 1988 to 1990 so the infantry part of artillery doesn't scare me a bit...

But a week later, I got selected for MARSS and registered for the NOAB next week !!! So I'm going to have to make a life changing decision in the next two weeks

I got some questions for you gunners :

The way I see it :

MARSS Pros :
- the sea (how can you beat the Big Blue)
- the Navy is in dire need of officers so MARSS should represent a fast-track toward advancement
- I've been navigating on dingys and small boats all my life so no problem for me there
- I will learn a trade with corresponding civilian jobs to fall back to If need be

MARSS cons :
- being away from home for a month
- being more far away from my family in Quebec than in Artillery
- MARSS is supposedly one of the hardest courses in the CAF
- long shifts on the bridge (young officers are looking at 12-16 hours work shifts)

Artillery Officer Pros :
- the CAF seems to be in more dire need for artillery officers but I can't expect to make more than captain in quite some time as there seem to be a bottleneck (from what I gathered on this forum) for a promotion to major
- my past infantry experience will help me more in Artillery than the Navy
- the school is based in New-Brunswick, not that far away from my family in Quebec City. The Navy will send me to Esquimalt
- a possibility of being posted in Valcartier in 3-4 years after my courses
- a more reasonable life than the Navy, (I mean it's closer to a civilian life)
- the working days seem to be shorter and easier to cope with
- at the risk of being branded a macho, the big guns are so cool !

Cons :
- no related civilian jobs
- no previous experience nor artillery knowledge
- I'm 36 years old and it sounds like a more physical job

Please, tell me if my assessment is correct/incorrect and give me some more info on life as an Artillery Officer.

Another question : I would like to go for the 20 years maximum career, so MARSS or ART ?

Thanks a lot for your answers

Note to mediator : please feel free to direct this topic to another part of the forum if this one is not the right one

You are fortunate in that you will have an opportunity to attend NOAB. This should give you a very good assessment of whether or not you want the Navy and vice versa. That said, your assessment, in my opinion is a bit of track. Time spent away (whether on deployments, exercises, courses, etc) is tough to gauge for any occupation, as there are too many variables involved.
  Long shifts on duty are also the norm in the Artillery; not to mention living in field conditions etc, etc. Certainly, with your Infantry background, you would have some indication of what it might be like.
No one should tell you what occupation to pick. However, I would suggest that you attend NOAB and, in the meantime, ask CFRC Mtl to hook you up with an Arty Officer. In the meantime, you should prepare a number of well thought out questions which you would like answered (for both occupations).
Both have some definite pros and cons (every occupation does). Good luck with the research and have fun at NOAB, it should be an eye opening experience.

I was under the impression that even if you are selected for MARS, it is only a conditional offer until after you get through NOAB, and that NOAB is mandatory.

I concur with kitrad1 on NOAB though, it is a great experience.  I have only seen it from the other side; we have the recruits and their mentors onboard for a daysail, and it is very interesting (and refreshing) to see people so gung-ho.  They ask many questions, and soak up everything that is going on.  There are some that are honest with themselves afterwards too, and realize that MARS is definitely not for them.

Best of luck with whichever way you decided.

My name is Sylvain.
My next step is to do my PT… (Finally!)
I am joining as reserve 861. I am at a cross road
Whether I should join the Army or Navy. I have
Never been onto a ship, just the summer small boat.
Could someone explain what is the difference being in the Navy?
(Besides one is Land & Navy is on Sea…) on the training way, and
Way of living while on service.  And since all the action is on the ground
In Afghanistan. How does the Navy play a role in all this?

Thanks.

(my Apology if this sounds like a stupid question)

861 Cook is known as a "purple" trade.  What this means is that no matter what colour uniform you wear, you can serve in any of the 3 elements.  So even if you pick Army, your chances of serving at sea on a ship are great.  Also, be aware, that you can make your preference known, but there is also a good chance that you will be told which element you will be going to.

From personal experience, if you are looking for full-time contracts? I transfered to the Naval Reserve. Yes, cooks are purple trades and the media is showing all the action on the ground, but the ship's crews need to eat.

airmich said:
861 Cook is known as a "purple" trade.  What this means is that no matter what colour uniform you wear, you can serve in any of the 3 elements.  So even if you pick Army, your chances of serving at sea on a ship are great.  Also, be aware, that you can make your preference known, but there is also a good chance that you will be told which element you will be going to.

If hes going reserves, he pretty much gets to pick his unit and thus his uniform.

And since all the action is on the ground
In Afghanistan. How does the Navy play a role in all this?

::)

ALL the action is not on the ground.  Indeed the fighting part that you see on TV is certainly on the ground, the Navy and AF have their own operations elsewhere in the world.

There are Navy clearence divers in the mud in A Stan.  So I guess you could say that they have pers on the water somewhere and pers on the ground with the Army.

CDN Aviator said:
If hes going reserves, he pretty much gets to pick his unit and thus his uniform.

oops, missed that part of his post, thanks.

private_nobody_yet: your profile doesn't say where you are at.  Since you are trying to decide between army and navy, I would assume that there is both available in your location?  And as Kratz mentioned, are you looking for a full-time contract?  If you join the Naval Reserves but are in school or working elsewhere, you won't get much time away on a ship anyway.  But there are chances at a long term contract once you are qualified, on an MCDV in Halifax or Esquimalt.  There is also other training for you to do prior to going on a ship.  If you search for "NETP" you can find some more information.

There's been a few Bos'ns on the ground in the box, along with a few Navy IntOs... the Navy does go places where the Army goes, not as often but if you're in a purple trade the likelihood is good.

Back