• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army or Navy? - A Merged Thread

D

dave_conolly

I did a search and came up with nothing. I have always been equally intrested in both the Navy and the Army. I am hoping to go to BMQ this summer. I am going as a Navy reserve, I didn‘t choose army because my parents wouldn‘t let me and I need the consent. I am wondering if I serve a few years in the Navy and want to join the army is it possible?

So your parent will not let you join the Army but they will let you join the Navy?

Once you are 17 years old, you will no longer require parental consent and it is possible to change reserve units if you want to.

I am just curious about their dispostion with the Army could you enlighten me please? :soldier:

I really have no clue, I guess they think I have more chance of dying? I would rather be in the Navy (just as good) than not in the forces at all.

It is possible to switch, but the process is quite long and involved. When I transfered units a few years back, it took more than 18 months for them to complete the paperwork. I imagine an element transfer would take even longer.

It depends on several things. What trade are you going to be? If it‘s hard navy trade, you‘ll have to do probably have to do a MOC/Enviromental Transfer which would add on more time, as you would also have to go through the BPSO, plus the commands. Just an enviromental trans shouldn‘t be too bad, depending on the headquarters. Your navy unit would have to request a transfer from their headquarters, who would then forward the request to army headquarters, then it has to come back following the same chain. A simple enviromental transfer in your original MOC should take no more then a month, if everybody is on the ball and follow ups are done. Plus, the unit your transferring to would have to have a position for you to transfer into. I was closed out from 93-96 in Halifax, NS for Admin Clk because every unit was overborne, including navy, army and air.

I transferred from the Navy reserve to Regular Air Force a couple of years ago. I had no problem, things went very smoothly. I could be one of the lucky ones though!

Originally posted by Koach:
[qb]Once you are 17 years old, you will no longer require parental consent and it is possible to change reserve units if you want to. [/qb]
18 is the age of majority in this country, so he‘d still need parental consent unless he‘s been emancipated.

-R.

I am applying to the Canadian Forces and I am waiting on my last reference letter and then I am ready to submit my application. I have been down to the recruiting centre and I am interested in the Army and the Navy. I was looking to get some more info on the Navy. I would be apply for NCI OP,&Son Op. I guess its a good thing I am still waiting for my second reference, it gives me a little more time...I am interested in Combat Engineering&Sig ops in the Army. Thanks.

canada22 said:
I was looking to get some more info on the Navy.

What kind of info? Easier to give you more info with specific questions. And browse the forums, lots of info there too.

canada22 said:
I am applying to the Canadian Forces and I am waiting on my last reference letter and then I am ready to submit my application. I have been down to the recruiting centre and I am interested in the Army and the Navy. I was looking to get some more info on the Navy. I would be apply for NCI OP,&Son Op. I guess its a good thing I am still waiting for my second reference, it gives me a little more time...I am interested in Combat Engineering&Sig ops in the Army. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Recruiting site?

For awhile now me and my friend have been planning enlisting right after Grade 12, so this upcoming June. We were going to go into Infantry as we thought the things we would learn would be unique and extremely valuable to us. But I now have a family friend is telling me the Navy is the way to go? Now considering I am from Saskatchewan I am extremely skeptical about this but if anyone has some solid facts on soldiering in the Naval forces and or Land forces please throw them up.

For the most part the family friend (who was in the Navy) said that if I did well on the CFAT they would try and usher me away from being Infantry as I might go to waste being in that job class.This I am not sure of as I am not recruited so there for I might like a bit of side information if things like this have ever occured. I was also told that in the Land forces you usually get sent to a poor country and never get to see the world like a Naval recruit does. How ever that may be a bonus but the main reason I wanted to join the army was the fact that they were revamping the land forces. While im only seeing the one sided story for the Navy and am slightly torn about which branch to go into I guess I'm just babbling on, any solid pointers from some recruits hopefully in both Naval and Land forces? :cdn:

R.Hawman said:
For the most part the family friend (who was in the Navy) said that if I did well on the CFAT they would try and usher me away from being Infantry as I might go to waste being in that job class.This I am not sure of as I am not recruited so there for I might like a bit of side information if things like this have ever occured. I was also told that in the Land forces you usually get sent to a poor country and never get to see the world like a Naval recruit does. :cdn:

Okay...you have been here only a few minutes and I already see red flags going up in your direction. Excuse me but I'm a proud Infanteer and this going to "waste in that job" is certainly only going to get you a few swift kicks in the a** from a lot of good people here. This is a bad start buddy! What the he*l is this being sent to "poor country" crap that I'm hearing on here from you. You think you are going to be sent to "rich" countries and sip tequilas on a beach with scantily clad women all around you? Lose the attitude if you want a decent answer from someone on here. "Never get to see the world like a Naval recruit does" LOL! That was an extremely stupid thing to say...apparently Naval recruits start seeing the "world" (exotic beaches, landscapes, women etc.) while on BMQ...could one of the mods or directors set this guy's story straight plz?

I am an applicant, so take this response for what it is worth. Start reading up on the CF. Go through the recruiting site and look around. You should pick a trade that you are interested in doing. You are probably having problems deciding because you don't know enough about the forces and the different jobs.

For the most part the family friend (who was in the Navy) said that if I did well on the CFAT they would try and usher me away from being Infantry as I might go to waste being in that job class.
I doubt that. Infantry and every other trade need people who got a good head on their shoulders. You would only go to waste if you do not utilize your potential in your role. It all boils down to what you want to do and how much of yourself you are going to put into it. Just like everything else in life.

Welcome!!!

PM me and I can go into great detail about the Naval side of it.
My husband's first trip to sea(he is navy) was to San Diego. He was on ship not even 2 months at that point.

Sorry that you had to be attacked right off the bat. I did not read anything wrong with your post.
Like I said, PM me and my husband and I will try our best to help you out.

Hey, stand down Infanteer101. Read the post again. He didn't say the things you claim, he says his friend in the Navy did. And as for the "seeing poor countries vs seeing the world", well, I saw bags of countries both rich and poor in my two naval deployments, so this may well be true. (Brazil is still my favourite country of all the places we went.) Mind you, we'd visit for a few days or weeks rather then stay for months. I never deployed when I was infantry but I imagine that's a unique experience too.

Thank you Pieman and Springroll. As for you Infanteer, I am very sorry you read my post incredibly wrong. Sorry for your misfortune. I didn't exactly say I wanted to get hammered at every port call did I. I said that is a bonus (travelling from port to port seeing different cultures in a short span) not a nail which I want to hang my carreer. That is not saying the Navy is built around the purpose of port calls either.

Pieman thanks for that, I did take a tour but I guess a good hard staredown with html is going to be needed, and Springroll I will pm you about the Navy as any information from either branch will be much appreciated. I am just glad no one else decided to raise 'their own' red flag against a post that was about acquiring some more information.

I also just read your post x-grunt thank you. This is what I was mainly looking for. Tidbits of personal experience about their carreer in that branch.

IM me as I am a currently serving sailor and might be able to help you out.

For the most part the family friend (who was in the Navy) said that if I did well on the CFAT they would try and usher me away from being Infantry as I might go to waste being in that job class. waste in that job class???? I think your friend has a Navy bias.

I can see that very easily now from reading up on the infantry forums. Oh well, what they want me to go into and what I am going into are two different things now so it is all taken care of.

Back