• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arte Et Marte need help

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been told,that after my QL4 trg(approx 8 months left)Thank god! :),)That I will be posted out of   Wainwright.I am reserchimg possible posting's through word of mouth.What I'm looking for is a unit(hopefully first line)that will get me to the field and ,possibility overseas.
As a soon to  be Qualified QL5 tech,,with no OSQ, I am asking the members of this board,from past to presant day,what their experiences have been with different units and bases.
Just a backgrounder,I spent a good number of yrs as a mud gunner out East,with the dirty Mo,and still feel a loyalty to the Guns.I would like to get my M109 OSQ as well as my LG-1 OSQ, as well as some of the more stranger OSQ,s ,like advanced hydraulics and security containers,but would like to to   stick the gun side of things.
My posting preferences,(according to, 9nr domestic(who is very liberal as to where we go),)W Bty(first),1 RCHA(second) and 2 RCHA(last).Although these are all gun posting's,I am still open to other postings,
If any of this boards armourers are willing to post their experiences regarding postings,maybe you can save me from making a mistake or guide me in the right direction.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense (RCOC)
Arte et Maete                  (RCEME)

If I may, my last course (as a civilian working for CBO - Meaford) was the 25mm Bushmaster. I really enjoyed this OSQ and was able to apply my new skills briefly before moving on to a civvy type job. If you want to go overseas, any Combat arms unit will suffice, but the Coyotes will be in high demand in Afghanistan I'm sure. Any Armoured Recce unit would be a fast paced, fun place to ply the trade, but like you said, you are quite fond of  the field guns.....I was and always will be fond of Armoured and everything that goes with it....in hindsight, the best years of my life to date were spent with the Armoured Corps...I quite often think of those days. Good friends...good times..

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry, forgot to mention postings...Petawawa is where I spent the largest portion of my career (80-87) I enjoyed it there, lots of field time and good exposure to a large variety of Weaponry. I was in 2 SVC BN, and 8CH (PL) after that Leopards in Germany (87-91) which was by far the best 4 years of my life.

Bob :tank:

Thanks for the words of advise.
I've been considering a Arm'd posting for a while as well.All the troops I've talked to(mostly the feeder trade type ;))have nothing but good to say about Arm'd regts.With the stand up of the new DFU(Direct Fire Unit)in Edmonton,I was considering it as a posting preference.The only problem with Edmonton is,I would like a more "rural" posting for the young fella,and soon to be young one.
I've never been to Pet,but If I end up going there,I won't complain.Just a question:
In Wx,I'm considered a second line shop,and because of that,I see everything from LMG to Leopard and everything in between.In a first line shop at a unit,how different is the work load and repairs that,as a tech,that you would be doing?
In the shop,if we have to BLR something,it's really F***'ed up.at a first line shop,can I expect the same level of repairs,or should I get my own person "BLR"stamp ready?
Thanks for the reply

Arte Et Marte

Ok I may need some help from current members here. In my time, when at a 1st line shop, we send second line work away to svc bn or third line for rebuild. In the field, the second line MRT's would come out and do second line work right at our location. We would have to raise the workorders ourselves and provide the neccesary documentation etc. But mostly first line repairs only. Walking the gun line on the ranges and do spot repairs and adjustments to the equipment as the troopies are using(breaking) them. With regards to the Tanks (on exercise), we were always a mile or so away from them (Tanks) and would have to move our APC from the hide and go seek out the tank to go work on it. The usual ancillary equipment repairs as well (stoves/lanterns/cookstoves etc.) Since we were Mechanized, we were able to carry some parts on us, and then supply would carry the bigger stuff. So in short..Main armament/small arms/machine guns/ancillary equipment. (and lots of guard duty ::) I remember working on the guns till midnite on some exercise, and just as I was washing up to go to bed some schmie would come and say "hey Van Hoorn, you're up for guard shift" 12 to 2...crap! such is life...and naturally if something breaks and there is confusion as to what trade takes care of it...well give it to the Gunplummer! Don't know if I answered your questions, so ask for specifics if you want...I have also been out for ten years now, so much has changed I'm sure.

Cheers,  Bob

Back