• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

article 5 medal for deployed members at sea

cfred0912

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day, I have a question regarding the article 5 medal that other ship use to have when doing the Op Reassurance in the agean and black sea. Now that Nato have change a part of the mission for refugees in Agean sea is it  still counting for the Article 5 medal or only time on the SSM?

Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Medal

From the ever 'accurate' Wikipedia:

The following Article 5 and Non-Article 5 missions are currently active:

NATO Article 5 medal for Operation Active Endeavour

NATO Non-Article 5 medal for the Balkans

NATO Non-Article 5 medal for Africa

NATO Non-article 5 medal for Operation Resolute Support-Afghanistan

I would wait for the applicable CANFORGEN to be published.

From DHH the only Article 5 NATO Medals authorized are for:

1. OPERATION ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR.

The NATO Operation ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR formally began on 26 October 2001, when the activation order was issued. However, patrolling in the Eastern Mediterranean had already started on 6 October, when the Standing Naval Force Mediterranean was dispatched to conduct maritime presence operations in support of the international campaign against terrorism.

LIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

Awarded for thirty days continuous or 60 cumulative days service as part of an element of the Standing Naval Force (SNF) operating in the international waters of the Mediterranean Sea and in the air space above it commencing the 26 October 2001 and terminating at date to be determined.

2. OPERATION EAGLE ASSIST

Operation Eagle Assist began on 12 October 2001 following the North Atlantic Council's 4 October decision to take measures to operationalize Article 5 of the Washington Treaty. This was done following the terrorist attacks against the United States on 11 September 2001 and the mission's aim was to help the US Forces control the North American airspace. The mission was deemed as completed on the 16 May 2002.

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

Awarded to NAEW&C crews that have served thirty days continuous or accumulated service in the air space of United States of America, and the air space of North America as tasked by NORAD between 12 October 2001 and 16 May 2002

cfred0912 said:
Good day, I have a question regarding the article 5 medal that other ship use to have when doing the Op Reassurance in the agean and black sea. Now that Nato have change a part of the mission for refugees in Agean sea is it  still counting for the Article 5 medal or only time on the SSM?

Thanks

I am currently on deployment with HMCS Fredericton.  We have been given the following info:

1) We have qualified for the Art 5 (30 Days)
2) If you have the Art 5 command is maintaining you will get a #2 device.  (I dont think the Art 5 gets a # device but I could be wrong, I was once before back in '87)
3) For our current activity in the Aegean there are thee possible options:

a)  Non-Art 5 medal;
                  b)  NATO creates a whole new op and medal;
                  c)  Days towards SSM qual.

The strong contenders, I am told, are New Op and medal or Non Art 5.

All days not coverd by another medal entitlement goes towards your SSM NATO.

Halifax Tar according to DHH,

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

NATO tour numerals are awarded for another 180 days accumulated service with a NATO mission or after each additional 540 days service in the adjacent area. This only applies for the NATO medals for the Former-Yugoslavia, Kosovo and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Other NATO medals do not have numerals.

NFLD Sapper said:
Halifax Tar according to DHH,

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

NATO tour numerals are awarded for another 180 days accumulated service with a NATO mission or after each additional 540 days service in the adjacent area. This only applies for the NATO medals for the Former-Yugoslavia, Kosovo and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Other NATO medals do not have numerals.

Thats what I thought... It will be interesting so see what comes out of this...

1 thing I was told too is that you cannot get 2 medals for the same OP.  Alot of people think you can...but I don't think you can.  You can (and we did) recieve 2 medals for the same Deployment.  Went straight from OP Artemis into ROTO 0 for OP Reassurance.  The NATO Medal was very sticky on the criteria though.  We had 2 1/2 months on OP Reassurance (broken up by port visits and such)...but we kept getting told that you had to have 30 consecutive days in the Med.  So going to Turkey, and Crete broke that up.  Looked like we weren't going to get it...but they found a window of time and we were told that if we were on ship for 30 consecutive days during that...then we got the Medal.

Is the point getting more bling or getting decorations that represents what you did operationally? If it's the latter then 2 medals for the same operation wouldn't really be appropriate imo.  Clasps for time? Sure.  But one medal...

Ice97 said:
1 thing I was told too is that you cannot get 2 medals for the same OP.  Alot of people think you can...but I don't think you can. 

You indeed can.  There is a CANFORGEN on it.  You can get the GCS and GSM for the same Op, but you can't qualify for both in the same 6 month period.  I know your situation is completely different as you did participate in two different operations.

SupersonicMax said:
Is the point getting more bling or getting decorations that represents what you did operationally? If it's the latter then 2 medals for the same operation wouldn't really be appropriate imo.  Clasps for time? Sure.  But one medal...

Refering to it as "bling" is kind of a rude comment.  Having a representation of the job we did while spending alot of time away from our family is what most of us strive for.  You can get a job on civvy side doing most of the Military trades.  and probably make more too.  Alot of people joined the Military because they wanted to serve.  Home and abroad.  And alittle representation that lets people know what you did is all you can ask for

Ice97 said:
Refering to it as "bling" is kind of a rude comment. 

What is more insulting is (are) the person(s) who figure that collecting "bling" is somehow going to make them more "important" and a necessary factor by which to judge people by.

I always wondered how crews of HMC Ships qualified for the GCS...

I get it, "pirates" were an armed enemy they were "in the presence of"... But really lets define presence here...

Anyways good for those sailors who earned it on the water... RANT OFF

Halifax Tar said:
I always wondered how crews of HMC Ships qualified for the GCS...

I get it, "pirates" were an armed enemy they were "in the presence of"... But really lets define presence here...

Anyways good for those sailors who earned it on the water... RANT OFF

■in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal

How is it any different then people that deployed to Afghanistan and spent 8 months behind the wire and never even remotely came close to an armed presence?  People deployed to Afghanistan and had very different tours.  Some people spent alot of time outside the wire....and I know some people that were in a nice tent the whole time and spent their tour playing Xbox and WoW.  The GCS is not just for Land tours and people need to stop minimizing it.  8 1/2 mths away from home and family is a very long time.  If the Military deems that you meet the criteria and want to recognize it...then so be it.  I can't speak for anyone else....but I didn't deploy just to get a Medal.  I thought it was great to do something different, visit some different countries and do my job and apply my knowledge in an operational deployment.  And if I would have done a Land tour instead of a Sea tour...I still would've been happy. 

I guess the rocket attacks at KAF must have been a figment of my imagination.

Ice97 said:
■in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal

How is it any different then people that deployed to Afghanistan and spent 8 months behind the wire and never even remotely came close to an armed presence?  People deployed to Afghanistan and had very different tours.  Some people spent alot of time outside the wire....and I know some people that were in a nice tent the whole time and spent their tour playing Xbox and WoW.  The GCS is not just for Land tours and people need to stop minimizing it.  8 1/2 mths away from home and family is a very long time.  If the Military deems that you meet the criteria and want to recognize it...then so be it.  I can't speak for anyone else....but I didn't deploy just to get a Medal.  I thought it was great to do something different, visit some different countries and do my job and apply my knowledge in an operational deployment.  And if I would have done a Land tour instead of a Sea tour...I still would've been happy.

Para 1:  Thanks tips.  I know the pre-reqs.  That doesn't mean they don't make me scratch my head. 

Para 2:  I have done both (So has JJT).  2 Navy Deployments and two AFG tours, one on KAF (Doing CLPs) and one "outside the wire" (PDC).  So if you think I am going buy anything you are selling you are incorrect.

Point of note while I was at PDC the Tailbs busted through the wire on KAF multiple times causing the first set of ground attacks KAF come under in years.  It didn't end well for them but the did it.

And well the almost daily rocket attacks JJT mentioned...  And you know the whole being in a country surrounded by an enemy presence...

Its OK guys, Max might be a little upset that our last CDS was a fighter jock with only a SSM to his name, similar to most fighter jocks in the CAF (minus the lucky few for IMPACT).  :stirpot:

PuckChaser said:
Its OK guys, Max might be a little upset that our last CDS was a fighter jock with only a SSM to his name  :stirpot:

But did you see his jacket?

Ok, Here's my concern, I'm on the Fredericton since march and I have so many answers concerning the article 5 medal if I entitled or not (I will have more then 30 days on the ship actually close to 60 days.). some people said it was only the first 30 days at sea, some others saying that the black sea is the major point of Op Reassurance. So I'm a little confuse here... When I ask the clerk pretty much same answers. So where can I find the complete information about Op Reassurance/ active Endeavor theator. Or have a real and clear answer on who and who's not entitled to the article 5 medal.
BTW, the point is not to have absolutly the medal but if I'm entitled,I'm Entitled..

Thanks again for you clear answers.

cfred0912 said:
Ok, Here's my concern, I'm on the Fredericton since march and I have so many answers concerning the article 5 medal if I entitled or not (I will have more then 30 days on the ship actually close to 60 days.). some people said it was only the first 30 days at sea, some others saying that the black sea is the major point of Op Reassurance. So I'm a little confuse here... When I ask the clerk pretty much same answers. So where can I find the complete information about Op Reassurance/ active Endeavor theator. Or have a real and clear answer on who and who's not entitled to the article 5 medal.
BTW, the point is not to have absolutly the medal but if I'm entitled,I'm Entitled..

Thanks again for you clear answers.

Ummmm?  Have you bothered to read this thread that you have started?

Did this not clarify your situation for you:

Ice97 said:
in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal

(This does not include time on ship berthed in Halifax/Esquimalt.)

Back