• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ASCO, did not choose pilot - why CAPSS study guide?

milagro

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I have completed interview, aptitide testing, medical, xrays, blood tests, ECG, eye tests at the optometrst, following my ROTP application.

My three choices were a) AEO b) ACSO, and c) CELE (air).

I was given the blue CAPSS study guide, and told to study it for testing, which they would contact me further about within two weeks. They were very interested in me for ACSO, but told I have a good chance at all three. I was told I scored well, really well on the math. Maybe this is why they are stressing ACSO.

I find this confusing. From what I have read here, ACSO is three written tests. I understand that potential pilots will take both CAPSS and ACSO testing at the Air Crew selection center, but that ACSO testing is done regionally.

Why would I be asked to study the CAPSS and prepare for testing? And where would this testing take place? I am wondering if perhaps there was a mistake made here, and that I should be waiting for ACSO testing? I have called the recruiter but am awaiting a reply.

Has anyone, who has not applied as pilot, been required to CAPSS test? Or perhaps this was just intended to familiarize me with instruments and what they do?

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like a goof to me. I've seen pilot applicants not receive the guide, and now apparently ACSO candidates who shouldn't need it receive the guide. I don't THINK there was anything in that guide that was relevant to the ACSO testing. The instrument flying portions in the back might have bearing in the ACSO test. I remember VOR type stuff and bearing etc. I can't remember for sure though. Worst case scenario is that you didn't need it and ended up studying for a test you'll never take.

Thanks, that is what I figure too. But I'll enjoy studying it nonetheless.

I think there's some code of secrecy surrounding the test so I'm apprehensive to go into specifics but some portions of the CAPSS guide will be relevant to the ACSO testing. It's not a long book so just read it and make sure you're familiar with all of the things discussed in it.

I see, I would speculate this has something to do with the UAV state of training then. Thanks

milagro said:
I see, I would speculate this has something to do with the UAV state of training then. Thanks

The ACSO testing in recruiting has barely changed since heavy bombers were biplanes........so i doubt UAVs have anything to do with ACSO testing.

This guy right here.
I was told right after my CFAT that I needed to do the ACSO test, and they gave me that little blue book and told me to study up for the 3 hour test.
So I did that, took the test, and thought I was done.
Finished up the "rest" of my application process, and then got a call (after assuming and being told that I was finished) that I have to go to ACS sometime in the next couple weeks to do all that. Not sure what to think, but good to know I'm not the only one dazed and confused by it. Guess we'll just have to hurry up and wait for the answer.

2011Applicant said:
This guy right here.
I was told right after my CFAT that I needed to do the ACSO test, and they gave me that little blue book and told me to study up for the 3 hour test.
So I did that, took the test, and thought I was done.
Finished up the "rest" of my application process, and then got a call (after assuming and being told that I was finished) that I have to go to ACS sometime in the next couple weeks to do all that. Not sure what to think, but good to know I'm not the only one dazed and confused by it. Guess we'll just have to hurry up and wait for the answer.

Are you only applying for ACSO? If you're not applying for Pilot I don't understand why you'd need to go do ACS. You may want to clarify that, or just sit back and enjoy the free trip to Trenton if you have nothing better to do.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
Are you only applying for ACSO? If you're not applying for Pilot I don't understand why you'd need to go do ACS. You may want to clarify that, or just sit back and enjoy the free trip to Trenton if you have nothing better to do.
Yeah. I have to go out to the CFRC this week to bring in a new transcript, so I'll bring it up to him then.
But yeah, unless for some reason they put me in for Pilot without informing me, it really makes no sense.

Thanks my test is tomorrow, so now I am stumped if there is any CAPPS on the darn test.  I mean, if iACSO test is  math and spacial awareness, I would hope to be studying those instead of the CAPPS if it does not apply! argg!

So many mixed signals...Does not help that I do not have a local recruitment center either.

If you haven't been sent to the aircrew selection centre in Trenton, then there will be no CAPSS  :)

They are providing the blue CAPPS booklet to this years ACSO only applicants. I know that I will not be sent to Trenton. But is this booklet even RELEVANT to the ACSO written tests? Is this an error?

milagro said:
They are providing the blue CAPPS booklet to this years ACSO only applicants. I know that I will not be sent to Trenton. But is this booklet even RELEVANT to the ACSO written tests? Is this an error?

As far as I know, CAPSS is Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System.  No, there will be no 'CAPSS' on your test if you're not being selected for Pilot.  Will any of the material covered in the CAPSS guide be on your test?

I don't think anyone discusses the specifics of the ACSO test (I can't remember if they ask that of applicants or not- but I'm going to stay on the safe side and say nothing specific about the ACSO test/CAPSS).  I also don't really remember all of the details, as I wrote/passed it 2 years ago. 

Either way, this is nothing to stress over.  If you're not in Trenton then you won't be in a flight simulator- you'll be writing a test.  Your curiosity will be satisfied as to the relevance of the blue book once you sit down and see the test for yourself. 

Until then, you probably don't need to ask about this in 2 different threads.  Just relax and do your best on the test.    ;) 

##EDIT: I felt unhelpful, as I did not actually provide any advice, so my advice is:  People don't generally regret being overprepared, but they greatly regret being underprepared.  Besides, you've probably already read the book, if you're this concerned about its relevance to your test tomorrow. 

I am waiting to hear back from the recruitment office actually, I was told so many different things, and now (suddenly) they called me to take this ACSO test after a call a few weeks ago telling me I am no longer a candidate....

I would never expect someone to tell me WHAT is on a test, that was not what I asked. I need to know if I was given wrong information - please do not feel you need to answer further. I shall just wait. But in explanation:

My concern was that a recruiter (and some others) previously told me NOT to study this book, and that is not relevant to the ACSO test. I do need an answer whether this book is relevant or not - 3 hours is a very long test in this small booklet so that would seem very intensive on this CAPPS information solely.

I am highly concerned because TODAY I just read a thread that said that it IS definitely relevant. Its tomorrow.  I'd like to study what is relevant whether it is math, or cooking!  If I have to take a test without correct preparation that concerns me, I have studied this book, but I was not under the impression I had a three hour, paper test on instrumentation! Whoa

So I apologize for posting in AIR ROTP 2011-2012today (I have removed it, but it was in response to posting concerning the book/test relevance noted by another poster).

This post in Army some time ago - did not garner any definitive feedback. At time I had posted I was not scheduled to test for ACSO at all. It was posted a curiosity. Now it is out of immediate necessity.

As it stands, I have had so much contradiction on everything. From giving me the incorrect applications which we drove 500 kms to return... to locations of things to requirements, to receipt of documents,  not one thing has been totally correct so far... regarding  correspondence and communication. So yes, in my own best interests, I have to follow through and question everything single discrepancy and followup, based on my experience,  or I would have been shut out long ago due to misinformation and omissions:)

Cheers, guess I'll just follow the recruiter's advice that the book was not required. As of right now, its all I have.

milagro said:
...As it stands, I have had so much contradiction on everything. From giving me the incorrect applications which we drove 500 kms to return... to locations of things to requirements, to receipt of documents,  not one thing has been totally correct so far... regarding  correspondence and communication. So yes, in my own best interests, I have to follow through and question everything single discrepancy and followup, based on my experience,  or I would have been shut out long ago due to misinformation and omissions:)

That, my friend, is something every successful appicant jokes about fondly once he/she meets others from different CFRCs, and how they all do things a little differently, and mistakes are made all the time, everywhere!

With regards to your test- best of luck.  It's a difficult test, but it is more to do with your natural ability rather than practiced skill or studied material.

I honestly don't remember too many particulars about the test, but were I in your shoes, not knowing why I had this blue book, I'd peek into it anyways just to see what it's all about and then do my best to guess whether or not the material I was reading was relevant.

Heck, call up Air Crew Selection in Trenton (I'm sure you can find a number somewhere...) and ask them about it!  They'd definitely know.
Other than that, like I said- I'd rather be over- than under-prepared.

If your test is tomorrow, and you feel underprepared, my advice to you is to stop panicking, stop searching relentlessly on army.ca, and just go and study whatever you think is necessary. I can tell you right now that studying the CAPSS booklet is absolutely NOT necessary in order to pass the ACSO test, but if you read it through once or twice, it can only help you on your ACSO test. You don't need to know any word in that CAPSS book to pass the test, but SOME of the information in there MAY be helpful. I recommend reading it once, and I assume you already have. Do I think studying it further should replace studying time with a high school math textbook? No.

Just try to stay calm, and study what you've got. The test is not that bad, and it isn't designed to fail you. If you would make a good ACSO, then you will likely pass. Just give it your best, and good luck.

pudd13, that's about the best response I have read so far concerning this.  Seriously, don't dwell on it.  IIRC correctly from when I wrote the ANAV test in 1999 (and I've heard it hasn't changed) and when I attended CFASC last year, it won't hurt to look over the CAPSS study guide, but use your logic filter.  It's not going to help you much to know that turning the yoke will cause the aircraft to roll...

But knowing the content of the CAPSS guide is not critical...at least is wasn't before.

Back