• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aspiring CF-18 pilot...come on, give me a chance :)

benny88 said:
  I think that's a pretty good testimonial for both OJT and this site. Even I've picked up a little info about each stream from reading posts here. I've heard that at Moose Jaw they give (or have given) motivation flights on CF-18s, is there any sort of formal introduction to the 3 streams, or is it just what you can pick up through word of mouth?

Instructors come from the different streams so you can have their take on the streams.  Once or twice a year, some Hornets will come visit and give guys ride (1 or 2 guys).  You can get a view of the jet world by how things work in Moose Jaw.  It might not be 100% accurate but if you like Moose Jaw, chances you'll like the Jet Community.

Max

To all pilots on this thread,

Are there any reasons you can think of why an older guy such as myself (age 33) would not have a decent shot at becoming a pilot in the CAF?  IF I am accepted under one of several officer programs (ie. OTCP, DEO, CEOTP, etc...) I would most likely be 35 yrs of age.

I look to you to help guide my career path and choices.  Despite the 150 hrs/yr in the CF-18 I'd still be leaning towards that.  I like Helos and Multi but "Fast Air" is where I want to be.

Am I being realistic or is it wishful thinking at this point in my life?

CPL Jay

Joined exactly at 33 years old. There were a few guys older than me at the school. Most of them were occupationnal transfers.

Hey Acheo,

Please do give me details.  I need a mentor.  what kind of pitfalls were you exposed to by joining later than most other folks.  How long did it take you to earn your wings and what is it that you are piloting now?

The greatest respect to you bro...more info please.  I'm like a sponge right now soaking it all in.

CPL Jay

jzaidi,

Check your inbox. Wouldn't want to highjack this post.

Strike said:
3 yrs is actually pretty good, given the training delays that have been seen.

As for which helo I'd say Tac Hel...but I'm biased.  I'm sure G2G would agree with my assessment though.

Giddy up!  Tac Hel will be rocking by the time you finish the OTU Bo.  You might even have your choice of up-gunned Griff  :fifty:  or Hook...  :tank:  You might even get lucky and pipe to Pet.

G2G

or ask tac hel and end up somewhere else.... :eek:
but really happy to end up there  :p

jzaidi1 said:
Am I being realistic or is it wishful thinking at this point in my life?

CPL Jay

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you, if you want it go for it. You've got nothing to loose by trying, and everything to gain.

Bo said:
Well, my desire to go F-18 died quickly after I learned more about the fighter lifestyle. The lack of flying (~150hrs/yr), long work days, living in Cold Lake, etc. didn't appeal to me. Plus I never had a real strong passion for F-18's to begin with. I was just like most other people who started out clueless and thought Top Gun was cool.

When I arrived in Moose Jaw I was unsure whether I wanted to go Helo or Multi. I ended up getting helo and I'm quite happy with that. I start helo school June 9. Now I'm just unsure between Tac hel and SAR  ;)

Oh and if you're wondering about how long it's taken so far, I started Basic Training in Sept '05 and should have wings by Oct '08. 3 years seems like a long time, but it flies by.

I am not much to talk but I am currently on ASC.  I was selected and am 38.  My buddy just finished tachel and he is 29 and it took him 3 years from start to finish.

I am 20 years old and am finishing up my CPL and was wondering about how long it would take to get the chance to fly the CF-18, and if my training would be shortened because of already having a pilots liscence along with multi IFR endorsement.

Adamentos said:
I am 20 years old and am finishing up my CPL and was wondering about how long it would take to get the chance to fly the CF-18, and if my training would be shortened because of already having a pilots liscence along with multi IFR endorsement.

For length of training, read the many pilot threads here. For whether your license will help shorten it, search "CPL"

Adamentos said:

Just a HINT, civy flying is nowhere close to what military flying is.  Standards are much different.  The learning process is very different.  I have my CPL and I'm just at the "end" of my wing training and CPL gave me no edge whatsoever.  The only thing that you will bypass is PFT (a selection course)

Max

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the words of encouragement.  I'll be heading to the CFRC tomorrow - hopefully I'll be able to get better direction on what I need to do in order to qualify for Pilot MOC.  I know I need laser eye surgery to get to at least 20/20 and get underway on a degree (I only have 1 year in Comp Sci so far but may have to restart the whole thing).  I'll also need to get back into shape - start running!

Question:
1. Will my previous reservist and cadet training put me in advance standing for anything (I was CPL rank when I discharged honourably)?
2. If I start on my PPL will that help with the application process at all?

Thanks folks,
CPL Jay

jzaidi1 said:
Question:
1. Will my previous reservist and cadet training put me in advance standing for anything (I was CPL rank when I discharged honourably)?
2. If I start on my PPL will that help with the application process at all?

1. Somewhat
2. Somewhat

Both are "nice to have" in addition to the minimum requirements. A lot of points can be earned through your education, your interview, and your CFAT score. I would suggest focussing on those areas.

Just a HINT, civy flying is nowhere close to what military flying is.  Standards are much different.  The learning process is very different.  I have my CPL and I'm just at the "end" of my wing training and CPL gave me no edge whatsoever.

I partially disagree with you supersonic. Any previous experience may help you to a certain point. A private license is not much but if the candidate held an IFR endorsement and flew in a commercial air service, he`ll be a way ahead of the game for the IFR phase. I don`t remember having opened my books during my BIT run because it was my bread and butter in the civilian. The IIT was also pretty easy.

As for the clearhood, someone with a CPL could find the course easy for the first clearhoood missions but then after a while it makes no difference.

The military emphasize a lot on aircraft control and I believe this is where the standard is much higher than anywhere else.

See Acheo, I saw the opposite, sort of.

The PPL guys did well in Portage (since they already knew how to land a plane).  The CPL guys in MJ tended to either do okay, but the 1,000 hour CPL wonders (and portage bypasses due to going to the right college) for the most part struggled.  Usually they'd b*tch and complain about point-to-points, getting worked up when they didn't go right.  I'd also like to know how many CPL Multi-IFR grads have done PAR's, and how up to date they are with circling NDB's.  You'd see them squeak by flights cause they couldn't seem to figure out that stabilized at 125kts isn't as good as floating around 120 kts.  It's the "old habits" argument, that the standards flown to are more strict than the CPL, and the 1,000 hr guys sometimes find it tricky to break the habits.  Hell, sometimes (I saw a bunch) those CPL habits and sense of "already know how to do this stuff" just helped guys get to the PRB.

Yes, I know I'm stereotyping and just using anecdotal evidence here.  Everyone knows the ATPL guy that's a rockstar in MJ, so obviously it's not everyone with a CPL that has troubles, but I personally know a couple CPL guys wearing Nav wings now.

and how up to date they are with circling NDB's.

Well, if you flew up north, you would know a lot about it and you wouldn't need those rules of thumbs to figure out hold entries, intercepts, etc.

I didn't meet a lot of guys in Moose Jaw with commercial time i.e. Commercial air service. Flight instructor in a flight club is not what I meant.

When you shoot aproaches in Chicago, Detroit, Toronto area everyday, the radar square in YMJ, Swift Current, Saskatoon are just basic stuff.

Now, no matter how much flight time and experience you have, if you have the so called "bad attitude", yes you'll end up Navigator.

I personally know a couple CPL guys wearing Nav wings now.

and I know a lot of flying college guys flying Hornets.....so we're even ;)

Back