• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATIS or just civlian?

cunedda101

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey im currently a cpl in the artillery. 5ralc.the ive been there for almost 5 years.

Ive been looking at the ATIS tech trade for the last 2 years and have been trying to get in for the same. ive applied and it was a no but i didnt get a reason other than to upgrade my math courses. im having a hard time leaving artillery for any trade really they just dont want me to go. im about to VR and try at a recruitment centre. has anyone tred tried that before? or have a better idea? im really at a loss here....

also. does anyone know what specefic lvl of math i need to qualify in the trade?

aaand  one last question. would there be a huge difference between what i learned on the atis courses and what i would learn at...devry on the Electronic Engineering Technology course for example? any information at all is welcome!!!
thank

...just a quick question first.  Is it your chain of command telling you that you need more math or is it the BPSO?  If it's your chain, than thats a big NO-NO.
  What level math do you have?  I'm pretty sure the electronic courses only need a Grade 10 or 11 math.  I've taken electronics...and the math isn't the hard part.  It's pretty basic algebra you would have learned in high school.  The thing about the tech training is that it is wrapping your head around circuit diagrams...theory....digital technology etc.

They don't say on the recruiting site what level math you need.  Are you interested in any other airforce trades?  Theres AVS tech as well if you're into the electron stuff.
Cheers man
Good luck with your OT.  Keep trying.

cunedda101 said:
also. does anyone know what specefic lvl of math i need to qualify in the trade?

I'm currently on the merit list for ATIS Tech. Grade 10 Advance Math is needed.

First of all DO  NOT VR TO GET A NEW TRADE!!!!!!!!!

We get a lot of people come in here who were told to VR then just report back to the Recruiting Centre. SOPs are you have to wait 6 months before we will accept an application from you. Then we have to get a hold of your MPRR, then we need to get a hold of your med docs AND you have to go through all the recruiting process again. THEN you have to hope the trade is open when you finally get all that done. Now consider this, while your waiting for all this to take place you have an injury and that puts you back. What if the injury is bad enough that you can't get back in. I had a guy try that a couple of years ago. After he started the process to get back in he had a car accident and was found medically unfit.

Go back to night school and up grade your math. The "book" says grade 10 advanced but you will want to have at least a grade 12 and a Physics. It will all help. You can do it correspondence if you want. Go to the BPSO and start the VOT process. Keep in mind you have to qualify with time in and courses completed etc. The BPSO will fill you in on all that.

And remember that just because you submit a request for VOT doesn't mean your going to get it. Think long and hard before you do the VR route. My suggestion is don't VR to remuster.

wtf......kind of turns you off of wanting to answer these questions sometimes eh.....

CallOfDuty said:
wtf......kind of turns you off of wanting to answer these questions sometimes eh.....
Yeah, it happens.  The other thing is often someone posts a question but they already have it in their minds what they are going to do, so the responses are moot.  That happened recently on another forum I belong to.

CallOfDuty said:
...just a quick question first.  Is it your chain of command telling you that you need more math or is it the BPSO?  If it's your chain, than thats a big NO-NO.
  What level math do you have?  I'm pretty sure the electronic courses only need a Grade 10 or 11 math.  I've taken electronics...and the math isn't the hard part.  It's pretty basic algebra you would have learned in high school.  The thing about the tech training is that it is wrapping your head around circuit diagrams...theory....digital technology etc.

They don't say on the recruiting site what level math you need.  Are you interested in any other airforce trades?  Theres AVS tech as well if you're into the electron stuff.
Cheers man
Good luck with your OT.  Keep trying.

The math for DC circuits is pretty simple, AC circuits are much more complicated, but I'm sure if they want you to know calculus, they'll teach you calculus. It's not that hard.

Back