• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

August 2010 BMQ

So I've been calling my CFRC constantly and harrassing them about me getting in for infantry. When I was called in for my interview 2 months ago they told me that I going to be selected for infantry when it opened in April and they put me on the merit list. I was merit listed for a month or so and I hadn't recieved a phone call from them, so I called last week and they told me that i was selected for infantry and assigned to PPCLI but theres no training dates or swearing dates attached to my file. I'm assuming this means I have the job? but I'm confused at why i didn't get a call and why I don't have training dates??? Can anyone shed some light on this continuing struggle with the recruitment process please?? :(

just that guy - I'm going to hazard a semi-educated guess here and say that, based on what you said, the CFRC has recently received confirmation that you have been selected for infantry (you're in), but they are waiting for training dates.  They are probably waiting for a slot in battle school, and will work backwards from there for course loading you into basic training.  They generally swear people in on a date within a couple of weeks of the commencement of BMQ.  So have a bit of patience, from what you said I would confidently say that you're pretty much in, just let them get their ducks in a row before they call you.

just that guy said:
So I've been calling my CFRC constantly and harrassing them about me getting in for infantry. When I was called in for my interview 2 months ago they told me that I going to be selected for infantry when it opened in April and they put me on the merit list. I was merit listed for a month or so and I hadn't recieved a phone call from them, so I called last week and they told me that i was selected for infantry and assigned to PPCLI but theres no training dates or swearing dates attached to my file. I'm assuming this means I have the job? but I'm confused at why i didn't get a call and why I don't have training dates??? Can anyone shed some light on this continuing struggle with the recruitment process please?? :(

It is because infantry is "over-subscribed" right now. I was told I would have to wait 6-7 months before they would think about giving me a BMQ date. Which, instead I took the offer for Armoured Soldier, September 6th training starts for me. So, you may have a wait ahead of you.

NazTheEternal said:
Have you contacted your local recruiting Office? I had to book my dates and times for the CFAT/Interview/Med so if you haven't done that already you'll end up waiting forever

Ya i phoned every few weeks asking about my file for a bit. Then last year in September, two recruiters came up to my town, made a phone call to the recruiting centre in Vancouver and told me I had one day processing for the first week in November. I phoned two weeks before the start of November to see exactly when I had to go up but I had to leave a message because I worked from 730 till 630. They never got back to me and when I finally got a hold of them they said spots had to be open before they would start doing testing for me. I realize Combat Arms trades are pretty packed but I would have atleast thought i could get some kind of testing done in a year and a half timeline.

Kabalis, Thanks for answering the question! I thought there had to be something more to it that I wasn't aware of!

I hope you get in for what you like... I don't have the luxury (and I use that word loosely!) of waiting for the trade I originally wanted (would take at least another year but likely a few at the rate it's going) so I decided to switch my trade to another (that I know I will still do well in, due to prior experience)... good luck with your wait! I hope it's a short one!

Lobster Rodeo said:
Ya i phoned every few weeks asking about my file for a bit. Then last year in September, two recruiters came up to my town, made a phone call to the recruiting centre in Vancouver and told me I had one day processing for the first week in November. I phoned two weeks before the start of November to see exactly when I had to go up but I had to leave a message because I worked from 730 till 630. They never got back to me and when I finally got a hold of them they said spots had to be open before they would start doing testing for me. I realize Combat Arms trades are pretty packed but I would have atleast thought i could get some kind of testing done in a year and a half timeline.

Yeah Combat Arms seems to be majorly packed... I spoke to a recruiter at the recruiting center in Toronto when I went for my CFAT and I was told that there was plenty of space in Infantry as well as Artillery at that time. I then came back 3 weeks later for my Medical and Interview and was informed that Infantry was completely full and Artillery had a few spots remaining...Seems that the number fluctuate quite a bit...

armychick2009 said:
Kabalis, Thanks for answering the question! I thought there had to be something more to it that I wasn't aware of!

I hope you get in for what you like... I don't have the luxury (and I use that word loosely!) of waiting for the trade I originally wanted (would take at least another year but likely a few at the rate it's going) so I decided to switch my trade to another (that I know I will still do well in, due to prior experience)... good luck with your wait! I hope it's a short one!

No problem!  I'm glad I could clarify.  I really shouldn't be so upset with my recruiter.  I know the demand is high and the positions limited, and I keep thinking to myself "should I chose another trade?"  and then I think about what the trade employs and wonder if I could be happy knowing that instead of waiting another year for Infantry, I spend 20 years working in the trade I didn't really want.  And then it simply hits me that I'd rather wait a little longer for the trade I want.  'Tis logical. 

After doing 12/14 weeks of DP1 in Meaford, I think back and wonder what I wouldn't give for a time machine in order to go back and slap myself in the back of the head for taking said friends advice.  I actually had a blast doing Propat 1 and Propat 2.  I love everything I went through in those hard weeks and thats what I miss the most and that's what reminds me that I'm going to wait for Infantry to open again. 

But rest assured, I'm going to be in constant contact with my recruiting officer (not just the CFRC) in order to make sure he doesn't forget about me.  By the time I get an offer, we'll be known on a first name basis :p

Finally got my training dates, swearing on July29th and starting BMQ on August23rd for infantry PPCLI. Everyone out there who thinks Combat Arms trades are closed just stay positive, my CFRC said that they are all open and i got a job offer so they must be open. It takes forever to get anything done with the CFRC but if you stick it out you'll get in. Couldn't be  happier to finally have a date to start my new career with the CF, took almost a year for me, all smiles right now :)

Hey. I've completed my application and was told the other day by the recruiting centre that I was selected for PPCLI reg force infantry but i don't have a BMQ date yet. I interpreted this to mean I have a job with PPCLI. How can I have that but not a BMQ date?

Oops. I just noticed your previous post, Just that guy. It seems I am in the same exact situation you were in. Hopefully I'll get a call soon...

AshFromCan said:
Hey. I've completed my application and was told the other day by the recruiting centre that I was selected for PPCLI reg force infantry but i don't have a BMQ date yet. I interpreted this to mean I have a job with PPCLI. How can I have that but not a BMQ date?

You are course loaded onto a Serial that will be sending people to the PPCLI.  You will still be going to St Jean, and then from there you will go to Wainwright.

@Ashfromcan  I was in the same situation and they wouldn't give me a date for a couple weeks. Then i got frustrated and went into my local CFRC and pretty much demanded that they give me a training date..the guy made a couple phone calls and 15min later a guy came outa the back with my paperwork and training dates. Try it maybe it'll work for you too, good luck.

Just got the call today.  Swearing in August 12th, leaving Ontario August 21st, and BMQ starts August 23rd, Field Arty.

Well, I got screwed by the folks at my recruiting centre and I must say I am NOT impressed.  I gave them a call yesterday to find out exactly what was going on.  After all, I think after waiting since Feb. 2009, I was entitled to an answer.  So I became stern and didn't take "We'll call you when a position opens up".  After being as firm as I could be without becoming rude, I discovered that I was never on the merit list to begin with.  My recruiting officer told me in September 2009 that I was on the merit list and that I was going to get an offer in April, which I was fine with. 

I kept calling once a month since then to make sure everything was okay.  I called on April 1st and they told me that the merit list resets every fiscal year and that I was put on the new list for the 2010/2011 year.  then they told me that they didn't hire anyone yet and that they were still in the process of figuring out where everyone they hired were going to go.  I was then told to call back the second week of April.  I did.

I was told I wasn't selected(which was understandable considering there were only 60+ positions open this year).  Then I get wind of someone who posted above, saying that they put their application in jan 1st 2011 and that they had a spot in Infantry set to begin with their August BMQ.  (Congrats by the way.  hang on to it!).  This rose an eyebrow.  how could someone with less training than me, be put higher on the merit list?

So I once again call my recruiting officer and he tells me that I wasn't even considered for the job because I wasn't even put on the merit list to begin with.  I was speechless.  he then tells me it's too late and that I'd have to redo my appointments for infantry because they expire in may.  he tells me to schedule them for April 2011 when the trade opens up again.  and before I could say anything in protest, he informs me that he's late for an appointment and that he had to go and proceeded to hang up on me.

Now I find this completely unacceptable.  I have been waiting 14 months for a position that I wasn't even being considered for because they failed to stay on top of my file while the whole time, they were lying to me by telling me that I was all set to go and that I would have a very strong chance to get hired.

Needless to say I am not impressed with the way some (not all) of these guys/girls run a CFRC.  I am not willing to switch to a trade I don't want and I'm not willing to wait another year unless I've extinguished all other options.  I have contacted the local Ombudsman in order to get some answers that I so rightfully deserve.  The lesson to be learned here is that everyone who has an application in has to make sure they stay on top of the people handling their file.  "Falling through the cracks" is unacceptable...

Has anybody here scheduled for BMQ on August 9th received their swearing in ceremony date yet? I didn't intend on raising this question to the CFRC until late June but it would be nice to mark a date on the calender (and give plenty of notice when I put in a request to get the day off work too!).

I know Maytag starts BMQ the same day as me, have you heard anything?

I have recently recieved my call also! Dental Tech, BMQ starts Aug 16th in St Jean. Anyone else have that date?

aegishjalmar said:
Has anybody here scheduled for BMQ on August 9th received their swearing in ceremony date yet? I didn't intend on raising this question to the CFRC until late June but it would be nice to mark a date on the calender (and give plenty of notice when I put in a request to get the day off work too!).

I know Maytag starts BMQ the same day as me, have you heard anything?

I'm headed there for the 9th, no word yet on enrollment ceremony
Anybody else from the Moncton region going to BMQ in August?

So i'm making this thread as I'm curious to whose going to BMQ during this time because I haven't once seen anybody post that they're going august 2nd, i see posts for later and earlier before that so if you're going on this date let me know as well as what province and what trade you are going for.

Manitoba
Marine Electrician

I'm going August 2nd. Still waiting to know my swear in date but I've been told I'm on for this date. I'm from Ontario and going in for Field Artillery

i still don't know my swear in date, all i was told is that when it comes closer to our training date we will be let known

Back