• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian navy's hunt for new sub to replace Collins class

even if we were to opt for nuclear it doesn't sound as if there is any construction room for us to join the Aussies

A really good read, framing the current and upcoming challenges RAN have to face.

The really salient point that jumped out to me in this article was:

"But a re-set is not built in a day, and as my former boss, Secretary Michael Wynne, often commented, “you have 80% of your force 20 years from now, right now.”

This is the crux of the matter, strategists and tacticians be damned.

They're offering incentives to personnel to support the new subs:

Nothing like a shake and bake nuclear physicist program to give a whole new meaning to the words 'risk management' ;)

Nothing like a shake and bake nuclear physicist program to give a whole new meaning to the words 'risk management' ;)
Don't be surprised if they bring their recruiting up north to us. Just like Irving scoured N. Ireland, UK, Romania and Poland for experienced shipbuilders when the AOPS was ramping up, Australia will be looking to poach our Nuclear Scientists and Technicians. Lot's of good reasons to emigrate to Australia.

Don't be surprised if they bring their recruiting up north to us. Just like Irving scoured N. Ireland, UK, Romania and Poland for experienced shipbuilders when the AOPS was ramping up, Australia will be looking to poach our Nuclear Scientists and Technicians. Lot's of good reasons to emigrate to Australia.
I wish I knew anything about nuclear science.....too old to learn now. But sign me up to live on the Gold Coast!

kind of a long dry read, its definately a difficult process Australia has embarked on

Long delays in getting nuke boats figured out may require an interim solution. Back to SAAB and the A26/Collins evolution? Maybe still room for Canada/Australia and the Netherlands to end up with the same sub class. And maybe Australia ends up with 6 SSK and 6SSN?

Perth (and Freemantle which is where the navy base is) is a very nice place to live. Very Mediterranean climate.
Just don't expect to be close to anything. Perth is the one of the world's most isolated cities.

It’s got a nude beach just down from the SASR barracks.

It’s got a nude beach just down from the SASR barracks.
The people you see at nude beaches are not the people you want to see at nude beaches.

Or so I've been told.

The people you see at nude beaches are not the people you want to see at nude beaches.

Or so I've been told.
The nude portion of the beach on Bol, Croatia , was filled with German and Swedish women. (not hard on the eyes at all):cool:

So remind me again when are we buying the used Aussie subs to bridge the capability gap?

I am joking here....

So remind me again when are we buying the used Aussie subs to bridge the capability gap?

I am joking here....
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Back