• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B Fleet divestment & B vehicle rust-out (Split from: TAPV thread)

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
PuckChaser said:
I strongly doubt the PRes getting shiny TAPVs is the lynch-pin to collapse the whole reserve system.

A bigger "I told you so" moment is going to happen when the PRes no longer has serviceable LSVW/HLVWs (the MRT and wrecker to support your new toys) due to lack of parts, but that's going to be an Army-wide issue (and covered in another thread).

Too late that has already happened.....

PuckChaser said:
serviceable LSVW

I think some units had a 70% VOR for those a few years after they showed up, so I can only imagine what state they are in now.

Colin P said:
Service battalions should have a large wrecker and smaller one based on a pickup. All service battalions should be able to swap out major components in the field, including axles, motors, transmissions and do minor repairs. If Joe's logging can do it out in the bush, so can our Service Battalions.

1. I would go with a bit heavier then a pickup truck, and have good off road capabilities

2. That would be the dream for most of the techs in my unit, the problem is equipment and will power of our higher ups

I have no doubt the will and dream is there, we kept our 3 ton going for several years including rebuilding the engine at unit level. The equipment you need to do most of it is not that complex. but you have identified the real stoppage for most of the army issues.

Eye In The Sky said:
I think some units had a 70% VOR for those a few years after they showed up, so I can only imagine what state they are in now.

My unit lost its LSVW CP a few years ago. Luckily, we have a Sigs sqn close by, so they support our ex's with their CP kits...but they haven't had an LS for two years now...they keep breaking down on the way to/from an exercise (pick one)...they suppported our ex two weeks ago, and my CP was in the back of an MS. Worked really well, but I'm afraid it will catch on as the new normal...

...just like the quads and Rangers being used on the PRes DP1.2 (Tp Ldr) crs run this summer in Gage, because they had so few LUVWs for the crs in the first place.

blackberet17 said:
My unit lost its LSVW CP a few years ago. Luckily, we have a Sigs sqn close by, so they support our ex's with their CP kits...but they haven't had an LS for two years now...they keep breaking down on the way to/from an exercise (pick one)...they suppported our ex two weeks ago, and my CP was in the back of an MS. Worked really well, but I'm afraid it will catch on as the new normal...

...just like the quads and Rangers being used on the PRes DP1.2 (Tp Ldr) crs run this summer in Gage, because they had so few LUVWs for the crs in the first place.

My unit has just started flat bedding our LSVW CP to and from EX, and then bring parts to keep her running during the EX. Adding on to your last comment, I did my DP2 RCEME common two years ago (pilot course for the new training plan) and we were using brand new Jeep Grand Cherokees as our MRT's instead of LSVW's. Not complaining about the ride but it wasn't a suitable vehicle for the subject matter.

Gee what could we possibly do to fill the LSVW CP gap, nope can't see out of the box....

advert-42502263-0-400x400.jpg

and what is old can be new

245thTruck.jpg

We have an LSVW CP vehicle waiting for us to pick it up from the local TEME.

We are taking a... very... long... time...

That's great, you have a pod. Where does the comm suite cabling come from? They're not cheap, and if we can't afford a LSVW alternator, we sure can't buy more comm suites.

PuckChaser said:
That's great, you have a pod. Where does the comm suite cabling come from? They're not cheap, and if we can't afford a LSVW alternator, we sure can't buy more comm suites.

That's part of the delay, of course, and not just our reluctance to take possession of a serial lemon. They stripped out all the radios awhile ago and now they can't re-install them for some reason, likely the lack of parts - oh and radios too.

Because of lack of vehicles, CO wanted to run the last ex dismounted. Thankfully, we got 5 x LUVW in time to run mounted. We still had the issue of radios, however...only enough to do two dismounted OPs, no double bank comms in any vehicle, and again, the local Sigs sqn bailed us out.

Reminds me...during STRIDENT TRACER, I took a few pictures of LUVW I knew were sitting around Gagetown, in various lots I've run past on PT the last three years...there's over a dozen I COULD see just sitting there, gathering weeds. No tags or issue cards to be seen...I'd like to know what's happening with them, I used to have 17 in my compound at one time...

blackberet17 said:
Because of lack of vehicles, CO wanted to run the last ex dismounted. Thankfully, we got 5 x LUVW in time to run mounted. We still had the issue of radios, however...only enough to do two dismounted OPs, no double bank comms in any vehicle, and again, the local Sigs sqn bailed us out.

Reminds me...during STRIDENT TRACER, I took a few pictures of LUVW I knew were sitting around Gagetown, in various lots I've run past on PT the last three years...there's over a dozen I COULD see just sitting there, gathering weeds. No tags or issue cards to be seen...I'd like to know what's happening with them, I used to have 17 in my compound at one time...
Probably due to be  released and sold as surplus or used as hard targets.

GK .Dundas said:

Sadly I can honestly see that happening.

Funny thing is i've seen one for sale before out of germany

daftandbarmy said:
We have an LSVW CP vehicle waiting for us to pick it up from the local TEME.

We are taking a... very... long... time...

Lucky you...at least you have a LSVW CP

We have,,,,,nothing as a CP.

Can you get a cube van? A few six foot tables, some barrack boxes, and some cargo straps and you can rig up a half decent cp, not great for off roading, but quite roomy. We had one rigged out with an nccis light det semi permanently, made a great little field commcen.

If you want to get fancy, bit of plywood on the walls, bit of unistrut on that, sky is the limit.

We had an Arty CP set up in a Deuce using plywood and 2x4's, that was back in the days of plotters and such. I am sure there are rules against such innovation nowadays. The whole assembly could be taken out and fitted to another truck in a couple of hours.

a Sig Op said:
Can you get a cube van? A few six foot tables, some barrack boxes, and some cargo straps and you can rig up a half decent cp, not great for off roading, but quite roomy. We had one rigged out with an nccis light det semi permanently, made a great little field commcen.

If you want to get fancy, bit of plywood on the walls, bit of unistrut on that, sky is the limit.

Superior to only having an MSVS and crash boxes after the MLs were taken away. Had an infantry unit upset that our "dismounted CP" couldn't safely leave the MS absent a loading dock or forklift.

Jim; a shop by the prison in Edmonton's seen a couple pre-TCCCS CPs go through some inspection and tweaking. Still no NAU's, so no remote kits, but there were and likely are some second-rate trucks that are moving around. Maybe there's hope?
;

Brasidas said:
...Maybe there's hope?...

Hope springs eternal.

Drawback to comms/LS/CP availability is, at least from Armd Recce perspective, is while the MS-based CP was pretty good (for a September ex), it'll be bloody cold for our December, January and February ex's...and there was no step-up CP. We were so low on vehs and veh comms, we couldn't have one. So when we were stretched to the comms limit, tac pause, pack up and move.

Back