• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic?

Just to add a little bit more...........as someone else said already.................just do as you're told.  It really is that simple.  They will tell you to clean your room.  Just do it.  They will tell you to sew your name onto everything...just do it.  They will tell you to get your shit together and make sure the bathrooms are clean.  Do it.  If you follow this advice you will get through basic no problem. 
  The only people on my course that had problems were the ones that ignored instruction.
  Cheers all

Steve :salute:

Try to remember it is all a game. Well, not really, but sort of. Don't take it personal, what your instructors are saying/yelling at you, they said to the last group, and the group before that... to infinity.

Everyone has their parts to play.

You have yours, you are a student and your job is to learn, work as a team and most of all show improvement!

God now I cant wait for July when I get shipped out for Basic. I have been helping myself by working out since November so physically I am preparing myself so I shouldn't die out right off the bat. Mentally I have been looking at it as you can only prepare for it after you get there. Just keep the reassurance going through your mind and the person beside you. Then again I'm still just a civvy and don't know what to think.

I'm on my first weekend leave from Borden BMQ. as it was said earlier just do what you are told. don't look for ways to stand out. You don't want them to know your name. In regards to physical training. Don't worry about pumping iron. Just make sure you running almost every day. And do tons of exercises lifting your own body weight. ie: pullups situps pushups chinups leglifts and that sort of thing. practicing a forward stand would be a good idea too, just leave yourself in top pushups position and hold it for as long as you can. You don't want to be the guy who cant keep up on the runs.  But the best advice i could give to anyone is to stay positive and bring your sense of humor.

The idea of basic has me freaked, and the more I read about it the more scared I get. Well I have until November to get in better shape, so hopefully I won't be too bad. I have to learn to sew better too.

Has anyone cried when they did BMQ?

People keep reminding me that I will get yelled at but every time someone says that I keep thinking back to when I was young and used to take martial arts.  The instructors would yell at us all kinds of degrating comments and we were paying them [!] to do it.  I don't think I'll have a problem with the orders when I'm on basic simply for those memories.

Cried...not on mine.
The yelling isn't so bad, just remember it isn't personal, and mainly it's just for motivational purposes....
There is the get your ass moving yell, or the kepp it moving yell.
Enjoy, it isn't so scary once you get going (too much to do to think about things).
Just don't think...well think, but don't analyze.
;D Hope that helped.

Just try to keep in mind that a mere 12 weeks after you start, you'll be laughing about the whole thing and glad as hell that you stuck it out.
I made some new friends and came away with some new found pride in both myself and my country.  I am working through my MOC training in Kingston right now and I can't wait to get back to St. Jean as an instructor.

I LOVE IT ALL!!!!!!!

SIGS!!!!!

I cried laughing a few times. The yelling will be the worst of your problems, by the middle of the course, when the yelling is at it's peak, it'll just run off you like water.

I am pretty excied about going to BMQ, even if its not for almost a year, I was just wondering if you have any tips on the mindset i am suppose to be in when I get there, for example should I be super quiet around the instrucotrs and fly under the radar, or should I be laughing and joking around. I know its kind of a dumb question but thats my major worry?

I seriously doubt that joking around with the instructors is a good idea. 

joking around is a great idea. also, as I am sure you are well aware mp's are nicknamed meatheads and for your sgt's in BMQ their nicknames are "moron" so use that to get on their good side. when doing pt always say "is this all you can give me sgt?". and make sure to always question their orders as it makes you look smart and eager. stick to those rules and you will be the best known recruit in that bmq class  >:D >:D ;D ;D ;) ;) :dontpanic:

Why not? What harm could there be? Don't tell me you joined the army and you're scared of joking around a bit.

there'll be a time for joking around, but it's not in the first few weeks. That just makes you a target. No need to make yourself more visible. Become the grey man.

I love having a comedian when I'm instructing. Makes it so much easier to torque them all. You can weed the weak out much faster when you have a smart-mouth on the course. Every time he spouts off, everybody pays. And I get in better shape. It's win-win.

Later, as you begin to gel as a team, when you've learned how to march without tripping, your staff will lighten up a bit. Then, you can joke around without fear. By that time, you've adapted to the game, and know the rules.

Then you'll go to your trade training, and it starts all over again.  ::)

You can weed the weak out much faster when you have a smart-mouth on the course.

See, I like to think of this as a good thing for all parties involved, so I try to encourage it where ever I can. So, the course gets more challenging, the weak are weeded out, the mood is lightened, everyone has a good laugh about it at the end, what's not to like? :)

Britney Spears said:
See, I like to think of this as a good thing for all parties involved, so I try to encourage it where ever I can. So, the course gets more challenging, the weak are weeded out, the mood is lightened, everyone has a good laugh about it at the end, what's not to like? :)
beauty. Win-win!

I have had some conflicting advice, but I like the idea, I am in well enough shape that I can face the consequences of my actions, thanks for the advice, I think I will relax and see how things go.

steep said:

Yes, for example the first time my mother saw me in full 1A's at the graduation parade. Am I weak for that? Maybe but I also own a pink shirt..

Out.

Back