• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Earthquake - 9 September 2011

MED_BCMC

Inactive
Reaction score
From: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/09/09/bc-earthquake-vancouver-island.html

Earthquake strikes Vancouver and islands
CBC News Posted: Sep 9, 2011 3:59 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 9, 2011 4:09 PM ET R

A magnitude 6.7 earthquake has struck of the northwest coast of Vancouver Island, officials at the Pacific Geoscience Centre have confirmed.

People are reporting buildings swaying for extended periods from the Fraser Valley to Campbell River at around 12:41 PT p.m., but there are no reports of damage.

Officials say the quake was too small to trigger a tsunami or cause more than small damage, but aftershocks could be felt in the coming days.

More to come

Apparently people felt it in the Comox Valley, but I didn't (I was driving.)  Took a quick walk-through of my place and nothing seems out of place either.

I felt it, at first I felt dizzy, then I noticed the light swinging above the dining room table.  The house shook for close to 40 seconds.  The kids were excited though, I told them Gozilla was coming.

Nothing downtown Vancouver  . . . I was walking on Granville St at Robson at the time and we got a miss. 

I could feel it in Richmond. No sound, but the building felt like it was moving for a few seconds.

Felt a little rumble and noticed the hanging fluorescent lights in the shop had a sway happeming. Others close by say they barely felt anything .

Nothing on the ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo - took a phone call from the inlaws before I had even knew anything had happened.

Figured the ocean would work as a giant shock absorber anyway.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I felt it, at first I felt dizzy, then I noticed the light swinging above the dining room table.  The house shook for close to 40 seconds.  The kids were excited though, I told them Gozilla was coming.
My wife's work place all felt the same, except for the single guy there.  I felt nothing either.

The reason most people didn't feel it was because it was the wrong time of day.  People are predisposed to feel the earth move in the late evening.

I didn't feel anything and only found out by someone else telling me.

I was in Esquimalt when it happened.

:(

Back