• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Murders / MB Manhunt of Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky

Videos ...
The father of one of Canada's suspected highway killers was "emotional" after watching a tightly-guarded 30-second video recorded by Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod before they took their own lives deep in the Manitoba wilderness.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) had initially refused Alan Schmegelsky access to his son's video, which was recorded on a mobile phone and has been described as a last will and testament.

After weeks of negotiation, Mr Schmegelsky was forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement before he was allowed to watch the short clip.

The experience was "difficult" and Mr Schmegelsky was "very emotional" afterwards, according to his lawyer, Sarah Leamon, who last Thursday also viewed the 18-year-old's final words to the world.

Bryer Schmegelsky and his friend McLeod allegedly killed three people, including Australian Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, on a murderous spree across Canada.

Speaking with nine.com.au, Ms Leamon said it was "inappropriate" Mr Schmegelsky had to fight to see the video, which Bryer's mother had already watched.

"That's the question we've been asking the whole time. If they were going to show the video to the mother, why wouldn't they have also shown it to the father?" Ms Leamon said.

Ms Leamon said she had seen communication between Bryer and his father and described that relationship as "fairly typical".

Bryer was known to have struggled after his parents divorced, when he was just five. He and his mother relocated to Vancouver Island, while his father stayed in Victoria.

The 30-second clip is just one of several videos the alleged killers recorded as they evaded police on a huge manhunt stretching 5000km across Canada, The Globe and Mail reports.

Police have refused to confirm or deny the existence of other videos which could hold important clues about possible motives behind the string of Canada highway killings.

Ms Leamon told nine.com.au RCMP could release the conclusions of their intensive investigation over the coming weeks ...
More @ link
I think Alan Schmegelsky is getting way  too much press time.  ::)
PMedMoe said:
I think Alan Schmegelsky is getting way  too much press time.  ::)

Yep, I can not agree more and the more I see him the sketchier I think he is.

I'll give Nine the benefit of the doubt since they're Aussie, but Victoria is on Vancouver Island.
PMedMoe said:
I think Alan Schmegelsky is getting way  too much press time.  ::)

Apples seldom fall far from the tree...so this guy's seeming narcissistic responses to the whole circumstance trying to make it about himself makes me wonder about his own background. 

It would be interesting to see if the DNA checks that they have almost undoubtedly done on his son bring up any parental/relational DNA hits in whatever registry/cold-case files they may have out in that neck of the woods.

I'm certain that's occurred to other folks than just me.

Apparently some people weren't happy on how the RCMP carried out the search.

Angry emails to PMO question RCMP competence in hunt for B.C. homicide suspects

Austin Grabish

Canadians from coast to coast wrote to the Prime Minister's Office during the hunt for the country's two most wanted men this summer, some expressing outrage with how the search for Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod was handled.

And more than a month after the bodies of the two men were found, a former RCMP deputy commissioner says there are still unanswered questions about the case.

In roughly a dozen emails sent to the PMO, obtained by CBC News through an access to information request, writers expressed dismay that the two B.C. homicide suspects were able to evade police during a weeks-long search this summer, and criticized the lack of information provided by Mounties and the government.

"The treatment of Canadians by the RCMP during the manhunt for McLeod and Schmegelsky and the autopsy etc is completely unacceptable," one Burlington, Ont., writer said to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale in an Aug. 12 email, after the search had ended.

"Heads at the RCMP should roll, Goodale should be fired," the voter said, adding they thought this would become an election issue.

Since the bodies of McLeod and Schmegelsky were discovered on Aug. 7, RCMP have said little about the investigation, and have not indicated any possible motive for the killings in which the two men were suspects.

The search for the two began in July, after the discovery of the bodies of Australian Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese, who were found shot and killed in northern B.C. on July 15. McLeod and Schmegelsky were considered suspects in the double homicide.

McLeod and Schmegelsky were charged on July 24 with second-degree murder in the killing of Leonard Dyck, a botany lecturer at the University of British Columbia. He was found dead on July 19. Those charges were recently abated, as the suspects are dead.

On July 23, police said Schmegelsky and McLeod were suspects in the three deaths, sparking a search focused in northern Manitoba — where a burned-out vehicle used by the fugitives was found on July 22.

During the more than two-week-long search, people from Vancouver to Antigonish, N.S., wrote to the Prime Minister and Goodale.

'I am embarrassed and disappointed'

"I am usually proud to be Canadian and feel relatively safe in our country. Not so much now. I am embarrassed and disappointed at how we are being viewed by the world," an Antigonish resident wrote in a July 29 email.

"And technically, we all have reason to be afraid. We are still potential targets. And that is totally unacceptable."

The writer took exception to initial comments from B.C. RCMP, who told CBC on July 20 there was nothing to indicate a pickup truck fire and the discovery of a man's body were linked to the double homicide of Fowler and Deese.

"At this point there is nothing to indicate those two investigations are linked. I am not sure why or how those two were ever linked. That information did not come from us," wrote B.C. RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet at the time.

The body was later found to be Dyck's, and the truck to have been driven by McLeod and Schmegelsky.

'Slow to sound the alarm': Nova Scotia writer

"The RCMP were slow to sound the alarm as to the gravity and potential danger of this case," the Antigonish writer said.

Asked for comment on the emails, the Prime Minister's Office deferred to Goodale's office, who deferred the request to the RCMP.

Shoihet said this week she can appreciate members of the public criticizing the Mounties' decisions, but said every decision police made was based on information they had at the time.

"As soon as we had verified information linking to the two investigations, we provided that information to the public. We cannot provide information we do not have," she wrote in an email.

She said over nine days, the RCMP issued nine news releases and held five press conferences to keep communities informed and up to date.

One concern during the manhunt came from a Grande Prairie, Alta., resident who wrote to the Prime Minister's Office on July 30 to ask why military forces hadn't been deployed to help work through the tough northern Manitoba terrain.

It's one of at least two emails the PM got asking for military forces to be called in.
"These young men need to be found so people of [Gillam, Man.], and other Canadians can return to a normal lifestyle," the writer said.

"There is never hesitation to deploy military personnel help in other world countries."
A July 26 email from Goodale's office says the RCMP were going to ask for a military plane to help search for the two suspects, who were presumed to be near Gillam, Man.

A military Hercules aircraft from Winnipeg arrived in Gillam on July 27 — four days after the RCMP first said the suspects may be in Manitoba.

Use of civilian aircraft questioned

Peter German, a former RCMP deputy commissioner, said calling in the military is a last resort in situations like the manhunt. "Quite frankly … you don't bring in the military until you've exhausted your own assets," he said in a phone interview from Vancouver.
But German, who had praise for the officers who worked on the search, wondered why RCMP air resources weren't used, instead of the military's.

"The RCMP has the capability to do night searching with their helicopters. Their pilots are trained for it [and] with night-vision goggles, can do things that civilian pilots can't. I don't know [if] that question has been answered."

The RCMP said they did use one of their planes with infrared capabilities in the search, on the evening of July 23. Drones were also sent to the area to assist with the search.
RCMP said they used one of their helicopters, but it didn't arrive in Manitoba until Aug. 3. This was in addition to front-line and tactical officers, police dogs, forensic identification specialists and major crime investigators who were sent to Gillam.

German said it's interesting that Mounties have been so tight-lipped following the discovery of the suspects' bodies, and following reports that McLeod and Schmegelsky made videos while on the run.

"Generally speaking the concerns over evidence, release of information [and] so forth disappear, or certainly dissipate, after death," he said, adding RCMP are likely treading carefully in an effort to minimize harm to the victims' families.

"It could be inflammatory. It could be embarrassing. It could be nasty. We just don't know," he said, speaking of the reported videos.

He also questioned how the RCMP communicated to the public during the search.
"I think the big issue that I kept hearing was information to the public. Was the public receiving enough information and was it real-time information? … Were people at the right level communicating information?"

Sgt. Shoihet said B.C. RCMP do not have any definitive plans for an update on the case.
On Aug. 12, police said a public update would be provided once a review, initially expected to take a few weeks, was complete.

German thinks the public would be satisfied if the RCMP revealed what they think was the motive behind the killings.

"Why did this happen to what appeared to be ordinary individuals — young, young men? What happened? What was the trigger? Was it video games? Was it violence? What was it?
"I think that's critical."

Article Link
Retired AF Guy said:
Apparently some people weren't happy on how the RCMP carried out the search.

Article Link

Apparently some people don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

For a manhunt with national profile, a couple dozen cranky emails is pretty par for the course. I suspect not one of them has any notion of the difficulties and complexities in a situation like that
This is like Joe-SixPack from Dartmouth writing in to say they don't like how the Battle Group in Latvia is conducting coalition training...nothing to see here...
No one in Dartmouth would be caught dead with anything less than a 2-4.
Infanteer said:
This is like Joe-SixPack from Dartmouth writing in to say they don't like how the Battle Group in Latvia is conducting coalition training...nothing to see here...
As much as taxpayers have a right to share their concerns, as others smarter than me have said, there's opinion and there's informed opinion.
12 Canadians emailed the PMO to bitch and complain - national news right there lol
Jarnhamar said:
12 Canadians emailed the PMO to bitch and complain - national news right there lol

If you're claiming the $5 ATIP fee from your employer, you'd better file a story...
Jarnhamar said:
12 Canadians emailed the PMO to bitch and complain - national news right there lol
The story says "roughly 12", so it may not even be that many.
A fair bit more detail out of the RCMP info-machine on what happened from start to finish -- this statement by Assistant Commissioner Kevin Hackett ...
Thank you all for attending today. My name is Kevin Hackett I am the Assistant Commissioner and Criminal Operations Officer in charge of Federal, Investigative Services and Organized Crime in British Columbia.

As per the commitment made six weeks ago, I am here today to provide an overview of the triple homicide investigation in northern BC, and the subsequent search for the accused suspects.
From the time we first received the call about the suspicious deaths of two individuals south of Liard River Hot Springs on July 15th to the day we located the two deceased suspects almost 3,000 kilometres away in Manitoba 23 days later, significant work has been done to answer the many questions that we the police, the families of the deceased, and many members of the public had.

Over the course of the investigation and search for the two accused, the BC RCMP dedicated a large number of resources and specialized units to this complex and fast moving investigation. There were up to 160 police officers working extended shifts on this investigation until the deceased suspects were ultimately located. The RCMP received over 1500 tips from the public through the dedicated phone tip line, reports to 911 call centers, front counter reports to police detachments and Crime Stoppers. Between July 16, 2019 and August 4, 2019, nineteen judicial authorizations were executed to further the investigation. An extensive amount of CCTV video was collected during the investigation and thousands of hours of recordings were reviewed and analyzed.

During the investigation a number of Partner Agencies assisted the RCMP. This included American and Australian Police Agencies, the BC Prosecution Service, the Canadian Border Services Agency, the Coroner Services in British Columbia and Manitoba, Conservation Officers, Search and Rescue and the Canadian Military.

We have taken the totality of the investigative findings – including a review of all digital and physical evidence, statements, tips and forensic examination reports - and have compiled a public report that we are issuing today.

While we have been able to gain greater clarity on the movements and actions of the two accused, we respect that the answers have not reduced the trauma and grief experienced by the families of Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese and Leonard Dyck. We ensured that the victims’ families were made aware of the information that we would be releasing publicly and we continue to provide them with support. We also continue to support the families of the accused.

The report does address a number of areas and specifics in greater detail, but I would like to highlight and confirm the following:

    We uncovered no information that predicted or forecasted the homicides that took place in northern BC. Based on the firearms lab results, crime scene examination, timelines of suspects and suspect recorded admissions, we believe that no other suspects are responsible for the three homicides or are involved in anyway. The murders appear to be random and crimes of opportunity.
    The investigative theory is that McLeod and Schmegelsky came across Lucas Fowler’s van and targeted Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese for unknown reasons. They shot and killed the couple before continuing up into the Yukon.
    The two returned to BC days later because they were having vehicle issues and came across Leonard Dyck outside of Dease Lake and shot and killed him.
    The suspects then burned their vehicle to cover up evidence and delay police before stealing Mr. Dyck’s vehicle, money and a number of personal items – all of which facilitated further escape ultimately toward Eastern Canada..
    Once they reached Manitoba they again burned the stolen vehicle and attempted to continue foot, before they realized their efforts were failing. It is believed that McLeod shot Schmegelsky before shooting himself in a suicide pact.
    Two rifles were found with the two deceased suspects. These rifles were examined by the firearms lab and were determined to be the same weapons used in the Fort Nelson and Dease Lake homicides, as well as their own deaths. One of the two guns was determined to be same gun legally purchased by the suspects at Cabela’s, outdoor equipment store, in Nanaimo on July 12th.
    A digital camera belonging to Mr. Dyck was also discovered. It contained six videos and three still images. In the videos, the suspects took responsibility for all three murders. They indicated no remorse for their actions and their intentions to potentially kill others. They also described their intent to commit suicide and their wish to be cremated.
    These videos do not contain any information regarding the motive behind their actions nor do they provide specifics regarding the murders.

While a number of additional facts and findings are being released today, the RCMP has chosen not to release the videos recovered.

The RCMP Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU) conducted a review of the videos and was concerned with a behaviour called "identification", which is considered a "warning behaviour" in the context of a threat assessment.

The videos may influence or inspire other individuals to carry out a targeted act of violence, essentially creating copycat killers. In BAU's experience, those who commit mass casualty attacks or similar acts of violence are heavily inspired by previous attackers and their behaviours.

It is believed that the suspects may have made the video recordings for notoriety. Releasing them would not only be disrespectful to the families of the deceased – who are also concerned about the impacts of the release - and it could sensationalize the actions of the suspects. By not releasing the videos we want to mitigate the potential of other individuals being inspired to commit similar acts of violence. For these reasons, the videos will not be released to the public by the RCMP.

I would like to thank our RCMP colleagues in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba for their support as well as all of the other Law enforcement agencies that offered assistance. In particular, I would like to once again acknowledge the RCMP in Manitoba who lead an exhaustive and challenging search in that province. I would also like to thank the public, whether it was the hundreds of individuals who came forward with information, the individuals, businesses or agencies who assisted our investigators on the ground in Northern BC and the other communities that were directly impacted. We would like to also acknowledge and thank the greater Canadian public at large who showed vigilance and patience as we worked diligently to advance the investigation.

We know this file had impacts provincially, nationally and internationally. Many have been affected, but none more so than the grieving Fowler, Deese and Dyck families. We are hopeful that the release of the public report and our investigative findings provides greater clarity into this investigation and search.

Thank you.
... and this "Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation" - suspect movement maps also attached -- the conclusion:
... The Manitoba Medical Examiner completed the autopsies and confirmed that the two deceased males were McLeod and Schmegelsky and they died from gunshot wounds. Based on the autopsy findings, the firearms lab report, analysis of the scene and the content of the videos it is believed that McLeod shot Schmegelsky before shooting himself in a suicide pact.

Based on the firearms lab results, similar offence pattern, timelines of suspects and admissions from McLeod and Schmegelsky, no other suspects are responsible for the three homicides.

There were two SKS type firearms used in the offences, one of which has being identified as being purchased by McLeod on July 12, 2019 at the Cabela’s Store in Nanaimo, BC. The second is an older style SKS with numerous serial numbers indicating parts from different weapons were put together over the years. Investigators were unable to identify where this older SKS weapon or parts originated from.

Interviews of McLeod and Schmegelsky’s families, teachers and friends, seized evidence from search warrants and the six video recordings did not reveal their motivation for the murders. The investigative theory is that McLeod and Schmegelsky came across Fowler’s van and targeted Fowler and Deese for unknown reasons before continuing up into the Yukon. McLeod and Schmegelsky returned to BC because they were having vehicle issues and came across Dyck who they killed for unknown reasons. McLeod and Schmegelsky burned their vehicle to cover up evidence and delay police before stealing Dyck’s vehicle to facilitate further escape ...
A range of different takes from MSM @ Google News here.


  • 68438_CanadaSuspect_lg.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 68441_BCsuspect_lg.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 83
Just finished listening to the Arlene Bynon Show (SiriusXM) and her guest (G & M reporter ) stated that the rifle legally bought at the Cabelas store in Nanamio was a SKS.
Retired AF Guy said:
Just finished listening to the Arlene Bynon Show (SiriusXM) and her guest (G & M reporter ) stated that the rifle legally bought at the Cabelas store in Nanamio was a SKS.

More "ammo" for the gun grabbers. A deadly semi-auto assault military weapon legally purchased by a legal licence owner....  :facepalm:
Because murders by legal gun owners are unique and rare. Not to mention most get solved. Unlike the gang killings where more than half go unsolved.
Looked after a patient today shot by a handgun in an almost certainly gang-related incident - his second time being shot. Pretty much prep to guarantee that gun bans wouldn’t have prevented either incident. SMH.