• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Beef & the Border - Here we go Again

X Royal

Inactive
Reaction score
Just read on a news link that a US Federal judge has issued an injunction to stop the planned reopening of the border on Monday. US officials have stated they hope to have the situation cleared up by Monday. It appears US lobby groups and protectionest politics at work again.

[tin-foil hat]Could this be the result of PM PM's handling of BMD?

Just to throw into the mix........the United States Justice (Richard Cebull) that granted the injunction was one of GWB's first judicial nominees and (IIRC) the first nominee confirmed by the (Republican led) Senate.[/tin-foil hat]

funny how the Canadian public jumps all up and down the Americans back over this, then once the borders reopen...claim that we dont need the U.S.

Its all 1 big political pissing contest, too bad the Canadian Farming Industry is getting the ass end of the bargains.

No missle defence = No Can moo moos accross the border ...................like no one saw this coming .

Sh0rtbUs said:
funny how the Canadian public jumps all up and down the Americans back over this, then once the borders reopen...claim that we dont need the U.S.

Its all 1 big political pissing contest, too bad the Canadian Farming Industry is getting the ass end of the bargains.

That sounds about right.

And can you blame the Americans?   George W Bush has his interest groups to please (the American Cattle Industry) just as Paul Martin has his (Left-Wing Anti-American Crowd).   Too bad that the Canadian Ranchers suffer for the interests of a bunch of ideologues on a matter that would really cost us nothing in the long run (and was bound to go forward anyways).

I dont blame them at all ..........its a wonder that it took so long . I saw Mckenna on the news tonight eating a healthy portion of turd  and coudnt help thinking why should we (Canada) be taken seriously when we cant even stick with a decision ............a right or wrong one .

So... we need both balls and the Americans? Is that what I'm hearing or am I off base here? I'm not a political guru, but with how things have been recently does that work?

We are our own worst enemies.  This could have been solved long ago. But:

1. You all realize that we are still importing beef from other countries, right?
2. The Euros test every cow they slaughter.  Fast and cheap- about 9 bucks a cow.  The feds don't want us to do that.  Why?  Because the American cattle industry doesn't want us to do that.
3.  We could be moving a lot more cows through our packing plants here in Alberta, except for the fact that a lot of them closed after the big American plants here in Canada put them out of business.  Find a farmer who has members of his family running a butcher shop, and you have found a man with vision.
4.  Drive your pick-up up to a farmer you know and offer to buy a cow.  Butcher it yourself. Eat the cow.  Mmmmnnnn... that was good.  Now go get another one.

Tom

Here is a question I would like somebody (possibly one of our US friends...) to answer. How is it possible that an economy as small as ours can possibly pose a serious threat to that of the US? Or is it just that certain regionally based US industries are concerned, while other parts of the economy are either not concerned, or are in fact supportive of Canada? I have heard, for example, that the US home building industry and US meat packers are on the "pro-Canadian imports" side of the house on both those issues. Don't they also swing some weight with the US govt?

But seriously, how much of a threat do we actually pose?

Cheers.

I am pretty sure that our "little economy" is of no serious threat to the US. I personally am one of the little people that has been affected by the softwood lumber thing, (havnt sold a truckload of wood to the Americans for a long while ). During some of my conversations with my former customers Ive been told a number of times that it is at least in thier opinion all the fault of our Federal Government. In other words we need them ALOT more than they need us , and until somebody with some clout or brains or balls figures this out IE play ball on BMD , nothing will change . And really ......who can blame the Americans

And really ......who can blame the Americans
Exactly, the argument used by some BMD opposers is that Canada is a sovereign country, the govt made a decision and that's the end of it... They are correct, and the same applies for the Americans; they are a sovereign country, and if they decide to buy Australian beef instead of Canadian, it's their business !! Sad for our cattle (and lumber) industry, but that's how it goes...

Jungle said:
Exactly, the argument used by some BMD opposers is that Canada is a sovereign country, the govt made a decision and that's the end of it...

I don't understand how anyone can use the argument that we didn't join the BMD program because we wanted to protect Canadian soverignty.  (I'm just using your quote as an example, Jungle, I'm not ranting at ya!)  We've lost sovereignty by NOT joining...  Look, the US are going to launch BMD's when there is an incoming threat, regardless of whether or not Canada is involved.  By refusing to join, we've tacitly forced a foreign nation to have to impeach our soverign airspace without consultation...  How does this strengthen our soverignty??

T

It seems to me that we have a higher opinion of our importance to the world than the world does. I find it embarrassing and maddening ( and a drain on the wallet)that we just cant seem to get along with our closest neighbor. I'm just one guy with a wood lots in butt(*&^ NB . I cant even imagine what the beef guys are going through! I'm glad I don't have to feed my blackspruce lol

TCBF said:
We are our own worst enemies.   This could have been solved long ago. But:

4.   Drive your pick-up up to a farmer you know and offer to buy a cow.   Butcher it yourself. Eat the cow.   Mmmmnnnn... that was good.   Now go get another one.

Tom

Excellent point.  It usually works out cheaper to buy a side of beef.  Cut (they way you like it) and wrapped and no MSG's aswell.  I'm sure a farmer would be happy to asign a side of beef out of his herd to anyone.  Definetly somthing to look into instead of going to the Local market and wondering if your buying a home grown beef product or something exported from, say New Zealand (happened once that the sticker was still on the plastic).

-Buzz

Torlyn said:
I don't understand how anyone can use the argument that we didn't join the BMD program because we wanted to protect Canadian soverignty.  (I'm just using your quote as an example, Jungle, I'm not ranting at ya!)  We've lost sovereignty by NOT joining...  Look, the US are going to launch BMD's when there is an incoming threat, regardless of whether or not Canada is involved.  By refusing to join, we've tacitly forced a foreign nation to have to impeach our soverign airspace without consultation...  How does this strengthen our soverignty??

T

Well said .......it just puts the worlds biggest kick me sign on our backsl

TCBF said:
We are our own worst enemies. This could have been solved long ago. But:

With people like Lloyd Axworthy writing things like this, we won't see much of an improvement in Trade Relations on any front with the Ammericans:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27709.0.html

Llyod Axworthy - Canada's answer to Ann Coulter.

Hey, they both have shitty books on the market as well, who would have known?

I am pretty sure that our "little economy" is of no serious threat to the US. I personally am one of the little people that has been affected by the softwood lumber thing, (havnt sold a truckload of wood to the Americans for a long while ). During some of my conversations with my former customers Ive been told a number of times that it is at least in thier opinion all the fault of our Federal Government. In other words we need them ALOT more than they need us , and until somebody with some clout or brains or balls figures this out IE play ball on BMD , nothing will change . And really ......who can blame the Americans

OK-but that doesn't really answer my question: how is that an economy the size of ours can actually pose a threat to the US that is so severe that they must take retaliatory action?

Cheers.

The cross-border beef (and lumber) dispute is nothing more than good old fashioned protectionism.   Since Canadian beef was banned from crossing the border, US cattle producers have been earning more on their cows than before: Economy 101 - Demand/Supply/Price.   On a radio newsshow this weekend (CBC) one of the US cattlemen in Montana pretty much crowed about how he was raking in more greenbacks since the Canadian competition was shut out.   Protecting ones own industries has been a national reflex from the dawn of economies, and the Americans play that game as well as anyone else.   Better in some respects.   Blaming our stance on BMD or Iraq has little to do with it - except possibly slowing down the Administration's impetus to help us get the cross-border flow going again.

It all comes down to which lobby is able to present the most coherent case to a judge or the most profitable case to a congressman.

pbi said:
OK-but that doesn't really answer my question: how is that an economy the size of ours can actually pose a threat to the US that is so severe that they must take retaliatory action?

Cheers.

Im sorry if I wasnt clear. I dont think that it ( our economy ) does pose a threat in any way shape or form never has never will for ever and ever till the end of time .Amen. IMHO the retaliatory action is due to our failure to play ball on BMD ,Iraq etc...

Back