• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

ArmyVern said:
In this case, you'd be 100% wrong. Just sayin'.

We can agree to disagree.  :) 

What your policies and grey areas might be indicating and what the moral line would suggest, aren't the same.

I am not overly familiar with all your P&P and have said as much.

Switching topic a little, did anyone hear how that meeting went yesterday?  Or is there a more definitive answer on when the next memo is due??

Thanks!

NavyHopeful said:
Actually, the message did outline that all separation expense claims would no longer be claimable, so the $400 a month that people were recieving for SE every month is no longer claimable.

As for possible solutions, I was also told today that they may be looking at changing my posting status from prohibited to allow me to move my wife and son here.  As long as it doesn't affect my course, or get me recoursed due to missing too many classes, I'm all for it.  The less time away from them, the better IMO.

It says no such thing. What it actually says is:

5. EFFECTIVE 1 SEP 12, THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS SHALL CEASE FOR ALL
REG F MEMBERS AND RES F MEMBERS SERVING ON CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE:
UNDER THE SEPARATION EXPENSE BENEFITS, BOTH THE INCIDENTAL EXPENSE
ALLOWANCE AND MEAL RATE INCLUDING RATIONS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE

will cease.

SE is made up of three things, not two.

SE (Seperation Expense) is made up of: incidentals (ceasing), meal allowance (ceasing) and seperation pay (not mentioned in the message is it?)

Way back when I was a wee dinosaur, ie: my first IR, all three of the above were figured and doled out as three separate allowances. Those three items were combined into a single thing that is now called "SE".

Thus the query to the clerks here, who couldn't answer: "what's happening with the old Seperation Pay (SP) portion of that SE as the CANFORGEN doesn't say it's being taken away? Is it staying and, if so, what is the amount".

newwifey said:
We can agree to disagree.  :) 

What your policies and grey areas might be indicating and what the moral line would suggest, aren't the same.

I am not overly familiar with all your P&P and have said as much.

Switching topic a little, did anyone hear how that meeting went yesterday?  Or is there a more definitive answer on when the next memo is due??

Thanks!

Excuse me?

I don't MAKE policy. Ottawa does and he is FULLY compliant with policy and the reasons are sound and are NOT intended to be permanent rather temporary and that is EXACTLY why IR exists.

Keep your morality comments about me or he or anyone else to yourself.

'Nuff said.

Sep Expense is not Sep "pay"?

I think part of the problem is the misuse of terms and that leads to confusion on peoples part, mine included.  Example

- when I was on my 3s and 5s, I was Attach Posted to the TE.  Because I am married and maintain a residence, etc...while on those courses I didn't pay R & Q and once a month I went to the WOR wth my "SE form" filled out to get my "Sep Pay" as it was called.

So was that SE or SP?  ???  If I were to be on course AP or TD today, would I still get it as a married w/residence mbr?

Editted for obvious brain-fart WRT TD....TDA.  duh.

Eye In The Sky said:
Sep Expense is not Sep "pay"?

I think part of the problem is the misuse of terms and that leads to confusion on peoples part, mine included.  Example

- when I was on my 3s and 5s, I was Attach Posted to the TE.  Because I am married and maintain a residence, etc...while on those courses I didn't pay R & Q and once a month I went to the WOR wth my "SE form" filled out to get my "Sep Pay" as it was called.

So was that SE or SP?  ???  If I were to be on course AP or TD today, would I still get it as a married w/residence mbr?

"Seperation Pay" ceased to exist years ago when they combined the three seperate allowances into one allowance that is now called "Seperation Expense".

Remember when Incidentals used to be called "Incidental Allowance"; Separation pay was "Separation Pay" and Meal allowance was called exactly that? They all now form a portion of one combined allowance called "Separtion Expense".

holy frack.  :blotto:

We (CF mbrs across the board) really need to stop inter-changing acronyms and terms around.  No wonder people can't make sense of stuff.

ArmyVern said:
...he had ZERO intent of "being IR for the next 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 years." ...
Not sure why you have used the quotation marks as those are not my words, and they also miss the point.  The point is that he has decided to permanently defer moving - that is very much not the intent nor the explicitly stated purpose of IR.  If the CM has a plan that he will be two years in your unit and return to where he came from next APS, then fine - if that is the case, then there may be justification.  However, that is not the model he presented to this board.  He presented us a description with no specific vision for his future other than his decision to remain on IR before ever moving his wife over the course of the next 7 years.  If there is no plan for him to get posted back home (and by his presentation there is no reason to believe such a thing exists), then he is making a permanent lifestyle choice and he should pay for that out of his pocket.

ArmyVern said:
His referring to 7 years left and he will go unaccompanied for those 7 ...
No he won't.  Unaccompanied is something else.  This may seem pedantic, but within the current discussion that word means something specific and limited in duration to not more than 6 months.  It is not IR and it is not permanently living in different locations at one's own expense.

ArmyVern said:
His referring to 7 years left and he will go unaccompanied for those 7 (at his own expense too) because his career is not more important than hers details exactly that he is not riding the system and that, if need be, in order for her not to get screwed in her career either, then they, as a couple, will incur all necessary costs for next 7 years out of their own pockets if his career requires him to go somewhere else to enable both careers rather than the taxpayer as it would then be a lifestyle choice.
If he is IR, then the government is financing this permanent lifestyle choice and they are not paying the true cost out of their pockets.  If the CM anticipates keeping him with your unit or posting him to an altogether different location at which he will initiate IR again, then (base purely on the information given) this is a lifestyle choice and perhaps the member should concede being outside the intent in IR.  In this latter case, he and his wife could choose to continue their arrangement but all SE stop (including accommodations).

ArmyVern said:
To be clear, his wife's budding career is not the sole reason for his current status.
Okay, I will assume the secret bits that make this a legitimate IR are hidden in these other reasons.  Maybe there is some compassionate factor, a CM intent that this was (and is still to be) a two year stint and then back to the previous place of employment, or some other element.  We can now move on from this point of discussion recognizing that the situation is not as he actually presented it (ie. it is not an intent to maintain an indefinite IR up to 7 years simply for the sake of allowing his wife to maintain a lifestyle in a specific geo-location)

Eye In The Sky said:
If I were to be on course AP or TD today, would I still get it as a married w/residence mbr?
Attached postings are now covered under CFTDTIs as of last Feb.  You would no longer be covered by SE bu instead be getting the same as TD.  It is actually a better deal for us in most (if not all) cases.

You can see some of the background here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106874/post-1163278.html#msg1163278

MCG said:
Not sure why you have used the quotation marks as those are not my words, and they also miss the point. 

They are my words as to what his intent is not for the next number of years and thus the quotation.

The point is that he has decided to permanently defer moving - that is very much not the intent nor the explicitly stated purpose of IR.

He has done no such thing; nor did he state such. What he did infer that was, if in the future he and his wife could not pursue their careers together in the same location, that he would be willing to complete the remainder of his contract at a separate location from her and would absorb those costs himself. He did not say that was his intent (it isn't) or plan. He did not say that she would not move either. He simply put it out there that he is one of those ones who would not put his wife's career at risk should they be required to be separated for X number of years whether the CF covered it or not.

If the CM has a plan that he will be two years in your unit and return to where he came from next APS, then fine - if that is the case, then there may be justification.  However, that is not the model he presented to this board.

Show me where he said he did not plan on moving his wife for the next 7 years, or that she refused to move. He didn't.

He presented us a description with no specific vision for his future other than his decision to remain on IR before ever moving his wife over the course of the next 7 years.

Rather, he presented the vision that he has 7 years left and that he and his wife if unable to pursue each of their careers together at same location (whatever location that may be in the future) would go whereever they were required (in their own respective careers) and would foot their own bills for it.

If there is no plan for him to get posted back home (and by his presentation there is no reason to believe such a thing exists), then he is making a permanent lifestyle choice and he should pay for that out of his pocket.
No he won't.  Unaccompanied is something else.  This may seem pedantic, but within the current discussion that word means something specific and limited in duration to not more than 6 months.  It is not IR and it is not permanently living in different locations at one's own expense.

I will leave it at, he is not here IR solely due to his wife's employment (I already posted that too) although that is small factor. There are other factors at play.

As a person who has done numerous restricted postings of my own - at mt families expense so that other families could be coddled or looked after, I assure you that I would not and do not support those who ride the system. I detest them.

I am actually of the opinion that those who have no choice (the students on trg etc) are should be  treated completely different from those who have a choice.

I am all for taking the food away as I said (and I am against forcing IR pers who live in to either eat at or pay the astounding meal rates charged to them at our CF dining facilities). We all should be paying to eat somewhere. The only issue that I have is that if the reasoning is exactly that "we all need to pay to eat somewhere", yet this mantra is only applicable to those on IR (or prohibited or restricted) status. Shouldn't same be said for those on QL5s? Ilks? In the field? At sea? Deployed? They aren't incurring costs of their meals at home either yet aren't being charged rations. Is it because those groups have NO choice but to be on course or deployed? If so, then there are a whole bunch of pers in the "no choice" posting bracket too who will be are now going to pay out ... not the case with those who "Opt IR" status.

Perhaps that is where this issue is best sorted out at: clearly differentiate between "compulsory separation" and "voluntary separation" and apply the allowances (or lack thereof) as applicable.

And, I wholeheartedly agree that those whose wives just don't want to move or who just don't want to give up job to move should be financing themselves as opposed to the taxpayer doing it. How do you catch those ones though? Give 'em year 1, without meals, perhaps a year 2 (if they managed to justify why) then cut off everything. I go with the 2 year time frame because if whatever the reason you've justified your IR with can't be solved in 2 years even a Compassionate Posting is of no good to you. If it's other spouse's employment in his/her excellent job --- you've got a 2 year warning to start saving that income up to pay the second rent/mortgage somewhere else. I've already used a situation that I am aware of where IR was granted due to kid entering grade 12 the next year ... 6 years later - dude is still IR and the taxpayer is still covering it. "WTF!!??" say I to that.

Edited to correct typos that spellcheck 'corrected' for me - "pers" is now back to pers from spellcheck's "pears" etc :blotto:

Re-edited to correct more typos and perform a slashthrough to clarify that are to a "should be".

ArmyVern said:
I am actually of the opinion that those who have no choice (the students on trg etc) are should be  treated completely different from those who have a choice.

I am all for taking the food away as I said (and I am against forcing IR pers who live in to either eat at or pay the astounding meal rates charged to them at our CF dining facilities). We all should be paying to eat somewhere. The only issue that I have is that if the reasoning is exactly that "we all need to pay to eat somewhere", yet this mantra is only applicable to those on IR (or prohibited or restricted) status. Shouldn't same be said for those on QL5s? Ilks? In the field? At sea? Deployed? They aren't incurring costs of their meals at home either yet aren't being charged rations. Is it because those groups have NO choice but to be on course or deployed? If so, then there are a whole bunch of pers in the "no choice" posting bracket too who will be are now going to pay out ... not the case with those who "Opt IR" status.

Perhaps that is where this issue is best sorted out at: clearly differentiate between "compulsory separation" and "voluntary separation" and apply the allowances (or lack thereof) as applicable.

And, I wholeheartedly agree that those whose wives just don't want to move or who just don't want to give up job to move should be financing themselves as opposed to the taxpayer doing it. How do you catch those ones though? Give 'em year 1, without meals, perhaps a year 2 (if they managed to justify why) then cut off everything. I go with the 2 year time frame because if whatever the reason you've justified your IR with can't be solved in 2 years even a Compassionate Posting is of no good to you. If it's other spouse's employment in his/her excellent job --- you've got a 2 year warning to start saving that income up to pay the second rent/mortgage somewhere else. I've already used a situation that I am aware of where IR was granted due to kid entering grade 12 the next year ... 6 years later - dude is still IR and the taxpayer is still covering it. "WTF!!??" say I to that.

:goodpost:

ArmyVern said:
Show me where he said he did not plan on moving his wife for the next 7 years, or that she refused to move. He didn't.
I am not sure what else to infer from this:
  • Halifax Tar said:

I am a member currently on IR.  My spouse is masters degree level teacher in a very specified field in Halifax.  I have no intention of asking her to give up her career and pension for my last 7 years of service.  
  • Halifax Tar said:
     I have 7 years left to complete then I will pull the pin.  If that means I`m on IR for 7 years or some version of it so be it.  If it means I don't get IR anymore and we live distantly so be it, but my last 7 is not worth nearly as much as her next 35.
To his credit, he has said he is prepared to fully foot the bill for this life decision.  Based exclusively on the information that he provided, I would think he should take that full cost out of his own pocket.  However, I will continue to accept your assertion that there is hidden information that makes this a legit IR case.

ArmyVern said:
This seems mostly reasonable.  Such a policy should be set so that one cannot circumvent it by skipping between various geolocations doing 2 years IR at each.  There also needs to be an escape valve - something to allow the military to extend the benefit for exceptional circumstances.  I would suggest CMP should have the authority to sign-off on a 3rd year.

Halifax Tar said:
Its a personal choice.  I don't abuse the system I use the program as its intended and that's that.  Whether you agree with my reason for going IR is inconsequential as its approved through the proper channels and all completely legit.

I have also stated that I think IR should be drastically changed to just R&Q no living on the economy and no benefits.  I think R&Q is more than fair. 

On a side note, I am not asking my wife (as of this Saturday :) )  to give up everything she worked for because an organization that only I belong too thinks they can run her life too.  I have 7 years left to complete then I will pull the pin.  If that means I`m on IR for 7 years or some version of it so be it.  If it means I don't get IR anymore and we live distantly so be it, but my last 7 is not worth nearly as much as her next 35.

R & Q being paid isn't him footing the bill either.

ArmyVern, I wasn't questioning your morals.  And in case my username isn't specific enough, I'm NEW to this, I don't know nearly as much as you, so if I need correcting, kinder and gentler would be appreciated.  My comments don't intend any disrespect.  I call it as I see it currently as a civilian and where I see possible issues.

Based on the comments, he was/is knowingly using the system.  With your further input there are obviously other points that could not be revealed.  I spoke against what I viewed as an outright misuse of that policy.
My apologies.

newwifey said:
R & Q being paid isn't him footing the bill either.

ArmyVern, I wasn't questioning your morals.  And in case my username isn't specific enough, I'm NEW to this, I don't know nearly as much as you, so if I need correcting, kinder and gentler would be appreciated.  My comments don't intend any disrespect.  I call it as I see it currently as a civilian and where I see possible issues.

Based on the comments, he was/is knowingly using the system.  With your further input there are obviously other points that could not be revealed.  I spoke against what I viewed as an outright misuse of that policy.
My apologies.

He is stating that he believes that RIGHT NOW all IR pers should be living in with just R&Q covered.

He is then stating that, if in the future, he and his wife can not be in same place (wherever that place may be in the future: he never said "at location X" only, exclusively etc etc) to follow their chosen career paths, that he would not put her career at risk and would then do the remainder of his contract with the CF in that seperate location if that's where the CF required him to be and they would do so at their own expense.

What is it about that you do not get?

MCG said:
I am not sure what else to infer from this:

She works in a highly specialized field.

It's not him saying that she can only work in Halifax, or that she will never leave Halifax or that their intent is to have her (and he) remain there indefinitely with him going IR indefinitely.  There are other places where he can go that her field is also employable. Here certainly isn't one of them, nor is Pet for example.  If one of those other places isn't an option for them in the future because he can't get posted to one of those mutually beneficial locations, then they are willing to leave her wherever she can/is then work(ing) and for him to go where the CF needs him and to foot their own bill for it as they would then be separated as a result of 100% lifestyle choice.

ArmyVern said:
He is stating that he believes that RIGHT NOW all IR pers should be living in with just R&Q covered.

He is then stating that, if in the future, he and his wife can not be in same place (wherever that place may be in the future: he never said "at location X" only, exclusively etc etc) to follow their chosen career paths, that he would not put her career at risk and would then do the remainder of his contract with the CF in that seperate location if that's where the CF required him to be and they would do so at their own expense.

What is it about that you do not get?

About as much as you are missing the NEW statement.

Sorry for putting in my one cent.  I'll just monitor the thread for further info.  Thanks.

ArmyVern said:
She works in a highly specialized field.

It's not him saying that she can only work in Halifax …
He also mentioned her being tied to the pension she is currently building.  So, okay.  Maybe he current employer has other jobs in her highly specialized field at other locations coincident with military posting opportunities.  So, she is still geographically tied to an employer.  To say that one day the stars may align and bring them together, well, that is pie in the sky.  IR not for supporting the lifestyle choice of till fate bring us back together - that is really no different than a mbr sitting on IR indefenatly hoping to be posted back to the last place the spouse was left. If the separation is indefinite without some concept of when & where they will re-unite, then the information given in this thread doesn't show this to be within the IR intent.

But that is okay.  You are right.  I've already told you, those other factors of which we have no knowledge make you right.  I expect there are legitimate privacy issues that prevent you from sharing the full details of this, and I am sure those details would neatly tie-up the missing ends for those of us who don't see why this fits IR.  I am okay with not knowing the details.  So please, before someone from DCBA reads this thread and decides to do an IR audit, I encourage you to stop speaking for the mbr and just let this go.

MCG said:
...  I am okay with not knowing the details.  So please, before someone from DCBA reads this thread and decides to do an IR audit, I encourage you to stop speaking for the mbr and just let this go.

He'd pass the audit - I've said there were other factors at play since my very first post (when did you finally pick that part up?)

So, accepting that, let's have some others stop deciding what his intent, morality and the legitimacy of his IR and insisting that he is a part of the problem due to them having read into his post "never, and won't, no intent" themselves perhaps causing a DCBA audit of this individual based upon their own comments here on a read-in of one post. In doing such, those posters are also deciding that I am officially covering up for and allowing someone riding the system, have illegitimately put my official signature onto that request and have somehow snaggled careers into authorizing it.  Me - supporting a train rider - the thought would have my chain of command ROTFLTAO.

ArmyVern said:
I've said there were other factors at play since my very first post (when did you finally pick that part up?)
I have acknowledge your hidden other factors in every reply to you (I guess you never picked that part up).
  • MCG said:
    Okay, I will assume the secret bits that make this a legitimate IR are hidden in these other reasons.  Maybe there is some compassionate factor, a CM intent that this was (and is still to be) a two year stint and then back to the previous place of employment, or some other element.  We can now move on from this point of discussion recognizing that the situation is not as he actually presented it (ie. it is not an intent to maintain an indefinite IR up to 7 years simply for the sake of allowing his wife to maintain a lifestyle in a specific geo-location).
  • MCG said:
    However, I will continue to accept your assertion that there is hidden information that makes this a legit IR case.
Now that we have established who has been following more closely...
ArmyVern said:
So, accepting that, let's have some others stop deciding what his intent, morality and the legitimacy of his IR and insisting that he is a part of the problem due to them having read into his post "never, and won't, no intent" ...
Based on what he put into this thread, there was nothing else to logically infer.  But it is okay Vern, the others have also acknowledged that they will accept your hidden information as the justification (guess you missed picking up on that too), so you are right and we can move on.

newwifey said:
I call BS!  I might be new but even I know that's WRONG!

I have a career and job that I've had for 24 years.  I am marrying my guy in 38 days. 
He's been posted, I will move next summer sometime and guess what, I have made all the necessary arrangements to keep my job. 
My understanding of being the wife is I'm to follow him (when I am allowed) where he is sent, regardless of how much time he has left.  Isn't that part of our "job" as a military wife. 

I'm fairly certain your wife also knows what comes with marrying a military man......
Good for you! What a very idealistic view of being a military wife (spouse).  I hope your sacrifices are worth it, but in reality, when retirement is inevitable, it's your family that will hopefully call on you from time to time, not the military. Most military families end up making sacrifices for their childrens education, family health reasons etc. It is part of the sacrifices we make as CF members, not just the deployments. In my experience, being proud to serve has to be balanced with making the right decisions for family, whether that's children, parents or spouses. There is no "job description" as a military spouse from what I can find, so I try to not judge others decisions on what is best for their own families. Society and military has changed a lot in the last 30 years, and the military promotes a well balanced military/family life (at least where I am).

ObedientiaZelum said:
I have a great spot in mind for that nugget of yours.

The whole "if you don't like it, quit" is a shitty mentality that's a double edged blade. Some took the very same attitude towards gays wanting to be allowed in the cf, women in the combat arms etc..

Do you really think the CF can afford to push that mind set?  You don't like back to back to back tours? Gtfo then..
Perhaps not the very same thing but for an organization facing a lack of instructors, lack of speciality trades, lack of targeted diverse visible minorities that whole if you don't love it leave mantra is weak.

Off for a couple of days - policies at the time dictated what was normative concerning some of your absolute statements above. I'm fortunate to serve in an organization that celebrates diversity and cultural pluralism.  Equally, IMO the non-prdjudicial changes in policies/benefits are and will continue to shape CF members; specifically those of us with families.  Vern posted a great response above concerning the landscape for newly joining members with families, much appreciated.  My 3 year IR (NCR) was not enjoyable to say the least and I would rather live in a closet with my family, than go through that again.  Shortages in the REMAR/TO&E, during my brief time (.25 century) have been something I managed to serve capably and effectively with. Equally, though not a historian would suggest that shortages plagued the otherwise successful armies that existed when your profile rank was used. All the best.

Back