• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

I'd rather have good gear to fly and have to eat (so to speak) the costs of feeding myself (as dapaterson noted, maybe a 'mess opt-out' will be considered) and driving home when I can out of my regular salary, thus being able to feel that I am in some part contributing to the government's actions to reduce overall costs.  Anyone who was in during the early-90's will likely agree that Para 8 is still fairly accurate, as well.

While I do believe that the Queen does get fairly good value from those on IR (full family, cost move is not cheap), CDN Aviator and others are absolutely right, the writing was on the wall for this one a long, long, long time ago.

Regards
G2G

It's easy to make light of issues on the internet.  Theses changes will have a material effect on some CF members, and that shouldn't be discounted.  Leadership at all levels must look for ways to support their pers given these changes.

That said, the number of folks on IR is limited.  In the grand scheme of things, we are all replaceable - thought many of us would try to deny it.  If I decide the benefits are offensive and inadequate I can always release - and someone else will be promoted to fill my spot, and so on down the line until the CFRC gets their SIP adjusted for +1...

dapaterson said:
Theses changes will have a material effect on some CF members, and that shouldn't be discounted.  Leadership at all levels must look for ways to support their pers given these changes.

Quite right.

I have just been posted on IR (daughters finishing High school next school year). Lucky for me, I am living out of the shacks and cooking my own food. If these cuts mean that there are not larger cuts coming, or that more equipment can be purchased I can live with this. I'll watch what I buy for food and such. I figured something like this was on the way after IR made the news earlier in the year and after the last couple of years of changes. I hope that for those that have to live in shacks they do have an "opt out" option ( I can see this being a problem). 

ff149 said:
I have just been posted on IR (daughters finishing High school next school year). Lucky for me, I am living out of the shacks and cooking my own food. If these cuts mean that there are not larger cuts coming, or that more equipment can be purchased I can live with this. I'll watch what I buy for food and such. I figured something like this was on the way after IR made the news earlier in the year and after the last couple of years of changes. I hope that for those that have to live in shacks they do have an "opt out" option ( I can see this being a problem).

Is your kids finishing school the reasoning for IR?

Yes, my family's intention is to move next year after she finishes high school.

This does not apply uniquely to IR, but also to the initial 6-month restricted/unaccompanied period associated with all moves, should housing not be available to a member and their family.  The second aspect is one which will have a significant impact on CF families that were not able to secure housing during the regular APS and intended for the member to move to the new posting location and the family to follow.

While I did note earlier that many who served during the mid-90's may feel that things are still pretty decent compared to other folks in Canadian society (I do), it does set a very clear tone as to the exigencies of the Service being first and foremost over the family. 

It will be interesting to see if there are any DND/CF or Government policies that are developed in an attempt to assist other family members who will now be more inclined to move with the CF members immediately (teacher/nursing seniority, etc...).

Regards
G2G

At my present age of 25, with some sixty years of paying taxes ahead of me, and the hope that we will retain a capable military with a better operational focus- I say good! We cannot affor everything we want or would like. Our salaries and benefits remain bloody excellent. If cuts like this are the worst we face in today's economy, we're doing just fine. Better this than shuttering units, cutting pensions, or further cuts still to the care our our injured.

We can hardly watch the rest of the country tighten belts and applaud government measures to reduce spending and not face some of it ourselves.

ff149 said:
Yes, my family's intention is to move next year after she finishes high school.

See I would agree if your son/ daughter was in special education that was only offered in one place. However if it's cause you guys didn't want to uproot him/her during their last year to ME that would be a personal decision.

My son don't like leaving bases and friends either.

IMO, the warning bells WRT IR came out last spring with the large changes to benefits (who could authorize, etc).  THAT should have been an indicator it was already being looked at, among other things.

This calendar year, Canadians some of us know have completely lost their government jobs to cuts; things could be a LOT worse than the trimming of benefits.

I'd not be surprised if PLD is being given a rather close look as well...

:2c:

dogger1936 said:
See I would agree if your son/ daughter was in special education that was only offered in one place. However if it's cause you guys didn't want to uproot him/her during their last year to ME that would be a personal decision.

Its the last year of school, and pretty important in determining university placement. Being that person who's moved in the last year of high school, and in the middle of primary school, the last year of high school was the worst and I will endeavor to make sure my children don't have to go through that. Its a personal decision not to sell your house (obviously if theres no offers thats different) or have your spouse not quit their job too. FF149 has a great attitude about IR being that its a temporary placement and wants to be off it as soon as his daughter's school year is done. That's what IR is for, not for a 5 year posting to Ottawa on the government dime.

There is another course of action available. In the USA during the last depression pensions were introduced, millions of government jobs were created, infrastructure was built and the top tax rate topped 80%. It eventually reached 94% for those who were making over 350,000 in today's dollars. I don't want to go anywhere near that far of course.

Between 1918 and 1970 the top tax rate in Canada did not drop below 60% IIRC. We have  a very low corporate tax rate of 28%.  Capital gains are taxed at 50% the rate of income. Since times are tough we could ask those with more  to temporarily pay what they used to. This was a great country when the rich paid taxes.

http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/course/Labortaxes/taxableincome/taxableincome_attach.pdf

Nemo888 said:
There is another course of action available. In the USA during the last depression pensions were introduced, millions of government jobs were created, infrastructure was built and the top tax rate topped 80%. It eventually reached 94% for those who were making over 350,000 in today's dollars. I don't want to go anywhere near that far of course.

Between 1918 and 1970 the top tax rate in Canada did not drop below 60% IIRC. We have  a very low corporate tax rate of 28%.  Capital gains are taxed at 50% the rate of income. Since times are tough we could ask those with more  to temporarily pay what they used to. This was a great country when the rich paid taxes.

Times are different. Businesses don't have to be in Canada. They'll pick up and go wherever the corporate rate is the lowest. We're gaining jobs, albeit slowly but that's because we're tied to an economy down south that is doing exactly what you want, tax the living hell out of rich people and pray its enough to fix it.

PuckChaser said:
Its the last year of school, and pretty important in determining university placement.

That was the reason we decided to do the IR process this year. My daughter is looking at various universities (including RMC) and my wife and I would do anything to help her. I know this is a personal decision and it was one that we took after much discussion, including my daughter saying that she did not want to be the "reason the family was separated". As I mentioned before, if these adjustments mean that other things can continue than I am all for it and can live with this.

Sorry did not mean to derail the topic

dogger1936 said:

When it comes to the last year of high school you also have to remember that choices for the last year were made prior to the previous year finishing and reflect what the student wants to do in college/university the next year.  Perhaps the new posting didn't have the same offerings in courses or opportunities.

The fact that the poster is intending to limit this to a year is exactly why IR was put in place to begin with.

As for rations, have bases gotten away from de-linking?

ff149 said:
Sorry did not mean to derail the topic

Don't think its a derail, one of the benefits being cut is from IR, and you're explaining your IR situation. Its good to have someone who's actually going to have to deal with the change drop their 2 cents.

Strike said:
As for rations, have bases gotten away from de-linking?

I think this is the pertinent question for the IR folks that are living in considering the re-linking of all living in pers just a few short years ago.  Rations even with some of the reduced meal plan options are still pricey IMHO compared to what one can do for themselves. 

What about service couples?  If one is posted to another location, and the other is not, it is not the choice of the members to go IR, unless they release they have no other option.  This new policy is going to sting for those members.

Nemo888 said:
This was a great country when the rich paid taxes.
As PuckChaser mentions below, and you may have missed it, this is not 1928 -- corporations, and where they invest, are much different creatures now. Driving out those who invest will benefit Malaysia and Singapore much more than it will benefit us or punish them.

But since you're adamant about banging your "Occupy" drum, feel free to disregard reality in lieu of pithy expressions.....  :not-again:

I currently live in shacks in Esquimalt where our rooms have no facilities to cook our own food. I will now be forced to pay rations and ill be losing separation pay. My wife lives in Halifax and i'll be here until atleast June 2013 when my course finishes. This will be the equivalent of me maintaining 2 households on an Os salary.

Back