• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Beware of an excellent language profile

gunner065

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day all, I surely realized today that being granted an exempt for reading/writing/oral language profile in the Forces has both good and bad implications.  For the good stuff: It does give a boost for Merit Boards and PER, and can possible align you for a job requiring a particular language profile.  Bad: being told that because you are an examplary NCM that possesses an exempt across the board(for second language), that you are the preferred member to fill a recruiter position in a far away land, where you don't really want to go.  So if you are thinking about getting that extra 2 points on your PER, think again, yes it will help you if you are in the top 5, but as well, it might just got you posted to somewhere you would prefer not to go...food for thoughts.

I get the distinct impression ypu're speaking from [a bad] experience?

MM

Did you consider that the reason you are going there is because they want the best and you might be it?  Sounds like a 'glass half-full' kind of talk...  you'll get the good positions eventually, not everybody gets their dream postings their entire career...

or at all for that matter  . 

'Ditto'  ya goes where's ya needed & posted!  ;D

Gunner is just venting.

Just think gunner someone with the same language profile has proably been asking for that posting for the past 3 years! ;D

I just escaped my posting from hell,I got no sympathy lol. >:D

I walked into the last CM interview and told him in no uncertain terms to "NEVER POST ME OUTSIDE THE HALIFAX GEOGRAPHICAL AREA."

Kinda took him back until I explained that my wife is the owner/operator of a local hotel.  She's not able to just pick up and move.

Regardless of my EBB profile, I'm not leaving Halifax.

NS

NavyShooter said:
Regardless of my EBB profile, I'm not leaving Halifax.

So, I guess you're putting your release in when the CF needs you elsewhere?  ::)

Must be nice to be stationary year after year after year.

19 years and 8 postings later ... I still go where they need me and when, sometimes IR if need be. I have no sympathy for those who find themselves posted somewhere where they don't like; it's happened a couple of times to me.

Do I think the CF is screwing me around by doing so? Nope ... it was part of the deal when I signed that dotted line.

Vern,

Over the past 15+ years, 3's, 5's, PLQ, etc, plus postings to 5 different ships, all in Halifax?

I can serve down here without leaving the area. 

I'll take a posting from ship to ship again instead of taking a shore posting inland (not that we have many in my trade). 

I was offered a spot in Whidby Island last summer, I turned it down.  The CM knew that was coming, but as the MS on the east coast with the most straight sailing time in my trade, he had to offer it to me first. 

I'm not saying I will not heed the call when my country calls.  Hell, how many folks do you know that have been recalled off parental leave and showed up ready to sail 2 hours later?  I'm just saying that I'll take the spots on the coast here, and let others handle the inland stuff. 

NS

From my perspective you have two choices: STFU or GTFO.

Pick one.

NavyShooter said:
Vern,

Over the past 15+ years, 3's, 5's, PLQ, etc, plus postings to 5 different ships, all in Halifax?

I can serve down here without leaving the area. 

I'll take a posting from ship to ship again instead of taking a shore posting inland (not that we have many in my trade). 

I was offered a spot in Whidby Island last summer, I turned it down.  The CM knew that was coming, but as the MS on the east coast with the most straight sailing time in my trade, he had to offer it to me first. 

I'm not saying I will not heed the call when my country calls.   Hell, how many folks do you know that have been recalled off parental leave and showed up ready to sail 2 hours later?  I'm just saying that I'll take the spots on the coast here, and let others handle the inland stuff. 

NS

Let others handle the inland stuff?? You are a sailor. There are also other sailors who've done just as many "sea" postings as you have I'm sure.

I'm also quite sure there's a few of your trade bantering about CFRCs, CFRSs (just to name a few inland spots out of your nice and 'comfortable' no-go zone), and the grand ole puzzle palace -- and their wive's probably work too (or their husbands) ...

so ...

What makes YOU so special?? I'm quite curious.

Whew!  Thank *insert deity here* that as an Air Nav, I won't be getting posted anywhere in Quebec and use my CCB french profile!  ::)

Dimsum said:
Whew!  Thank *insert deity here* that as an Air Nav, I won't be getting posted anywhere in Quebec and use my CCB french profile!   ::)

Funny that...we just had a Nav get posted to CFLRS. Your MOC doesn't make you immune to posting to "la belle province" my friend.

ModlrMike said:
From my perspective you have two choices: STFU or GTFO.

Pick one.

- Unfair comment.  He stated his case, and set the parameters that would dictate his release.  If the CF takes him up on it, they get to promote into his vacancy.  Fair is fair.

TCBF said:
- Unfair comment.  He stated his case, and set the parameters that would dictate his release.  If the CF takes him up on it, they get to promote into his vacancy.  Fair is fair.

How so? Every year hundreds of folks go where they don't want to go, and hundreds others get out. Fair is doing all of the job you're asked to do, not just the parts you like so that someone else picks up the slack.

Why not just let the career manager worry about calling his bluff?  At least he was up front and honest about it.  His supervisor should of course, judge his CFPAS Potential under the catagory of Professional Development

consider evidence that the individual is attempting to enhance knowledge or skills through self-study initiatives and military or civilian courses. In addition, the member accepts tasking that will prepare him/her for the responsibilities of the next rank. and

Dedication
emphasize the individual’s dedication towards service in the CF; and

consider whether the individual gives the CF high priority in relation to self-interests and the amount and frequency of extra effort expended by the individual on behalf of the CF. Recognize and reward the ability to balance organizational needs with own needs. The individual’s willingness to seek and accept additional responsibility assumes greater importance with increasing rank.

ModlrMike said:
How so? Every year hundreds of folks go where they don't want to go, and hundreds others get out. Fair is doing all of the job you're asked to do, not just the parts you like so that someone else picks up the slack.

- Fair is stating your case so your career manager can plan knowing that the next move is his.  Ever walk into a career briefing talking about what 'others' do?  No? So, why should we here.  If he is up front, the ball is in the CF court.  He ain't whining - he is stating his case.  If it leads to his release - so be it.  The reserves can use him.

- I would rather a thousand like him than all of those bloody malingerers we have milking VAC for all it is worth. (Note: If you are NOT a malingerer, do not be offended.  If you are: BE offended.).

TCBF said:
- Fair is stating your case so your career manager can plan knowing that the next move is his. 

Yes it is. Fair is also providing the career manager with options other than "I'm not going, deal with it."

ModlrMike said:
Yes it is. Fair is also providing the career manager with options other than "I'm not going, deal with it."

- He gave the career manager two options, both fair:

1. Leave him where he is.
2. Release him.

The CM can now take that info into account.  This will come up for merit boards and career courses.  The CM and CoC will begin grooming and developing others in his trade to bypass him as needed.  They will favour them in assigning developmental and successional tasks - AS THEY SHOULD.

He will be released or bypassed, according to the exigincies of the service.

He will remain a self-limiter only as long as the CF finds a need for his 'situation' - no longer.

That's what 'fair' means.

I think the discussion is a bit of a dead one. 

As a navy NCM, you pretty much never change your coast unless you ask for the change.  Even then, you're only likely go get that request passed of you're moving East to West.  Not that people don't move West to East, it's just not as common. 

In the Navy, the postings are to the different ships, and then these move - and move they do.  I know from my days at sea, I never spent anything less than 6 months gone, and with a Gulf tour, spent 10 months gone out of 12. 

As a Navy person telling the career manager not to move them off the coast, it's more puff with very little blow.  There are pleanty of people looking for shore postings that if a person doesn't want one, the career manager just passes the position on to the next person.  They are more than happy to leave a person at sea.  Especially a NET where they are already short bodies. 

As I said, the argument is moot. 

Back