• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BFT Requirements (weight) 55 with FFO or without

The kit list for the BFT conducted at PSTC is a generic one and caters for the weight of the old rucksack.  Personnel doing the BFT with other kinds of load-bearing equipment have items added or subtracted, such that the total load carried is 54 lbs - no more, no less.  Course staff weigh the equipment before stepping off.

ArmyVern said:
Nobody at PSTC is entitled to the new rucksack; they carry the old one or the SPS.  ;)

Not even the boys doing training and deploying overseas, Vern?  ;)

TN2IC said:
Not even the boys doing training and deploying overseas, Vern?  ;)

Do they belong to PSTC's UIC??

Nope, they are simply students there. Entitlement to the new ruck is by UIC.

Sorry to reopen this thread but I was curious if only the army does the BFT or does the Navy and Airforce do it too?

AFAIK,  Air Force and Navy units do not do the BFT - Don't know if Tac Hel units are required to do it or not.

As well Navy and Air Force pers would be required to do the BFT if they are in Army units.  For certain deployments(for example Afghanistan) I believe Navy and Air Force pers would be required to get the BFT check in the box as a requirement to deploy - not 100% if that is for everyone,  or only to deploy with a certain organization(ie PRT, EOD, etc)

I know of one guy who just got his OT to an Air Force trade and his BFT he completed last month isn't good enough.

He had to do the Express test.        ::)

That's correct, the BFT is accepted only within the Army, other services reserve the right to express test you.  Personally I think we should have to complete both, as they test different fitness attributes.

My new ruck empty, but with its pouches weighs 12 pounds.  While not quite the 22lbs stated earlier, it is still a good chunk of the total weight reqirement.  Add the issued 3 litre camelback for another 8lbs and you really only need about 5 lbs of kit in the ruck and, combined with tac vest, rifle, helmet, you are at the total weight.

The new CF fitness standard, "Project FORCE" (Fitness for Operational Requirements of CF Employment) will replace both Express and the BFT as the sole CF standard.  There are other threads that discuss it on the board.

Jay4th said:
i promise not to pee out the 8lbs of water  :)

lol
I'd trust you not to  but how many times have you caught fat wimps dumping water or pitching blanks and pyro in the woods on halts  ;)

I was witness to a rather out of shape individual carrying quite a decent load of water (3 Camelbaks) as the ONLY weight in his small pack.  By the end of the march he had nothing left in his pack, and had to piss before both the drag AND the trench dig... lol some people...

We were trying to figure out how we finished one BFT with a land speed record...especially with the person we had up front being known to have a back problem.  We figured it out when we were able to flip their ruck up with our pinky fingers - they'd packed the ruck with 2 pillows.  Words were had with their boss that were not polite...

MM

The weight load is what it is.

If you have your total FFO, I don't care if you make up the rest in Snickers bars.

You get on the scale before you step off, if the limit is reached, you're good to go.

I made this argument with the local Battle School, comprised of THE RCR, when the criteria was established almost 20 years ago when we did the trials before The Warrior book was issued.

It didn't say anything about wearing the helmet, only that it needed to be carried. Same as your weapon, didn't say slung or at the ready, just carried (strapped to your pack). They refused to change the wording.

No kit list. Just meet the weight to start.

Our Unit has produced a 'suggested' kit list of operational equipment that will complete the total weight.

Don't like it? Quit bitchin' about the posers and put a paper forward to get it changed.

I am not trying to sound like an internet tough guy or something similar, but I can't understand why people freak out about the BFT so much. Its by no means fun, but its not THAT bad. Usually it was a 3am bug out, BFT, rest of the morning off and sports afternoon. When I did them both on training and in unit, we were always told the weight was what your ruck must be, then on top of that you have water, FFO, etc though admittedly they rarely actually weighed them.

I can only remember one time being weighed to be honest... the threat is always there though... to keep people honest :)

Nothing like seeing an SQ recruit being told if their ruck looked light, it probably was. If the instructors found out, you'd have to use the Pl Cmdr's ruck... which was filled with sandbags. No one had a light ruck that day, and the Pl Cmdr took his own ruck  ;D

I actually have a BFT this coming Friday, before deploying to Wainwright for a couple of weeks on exercise... timing sucks, but at least the points will be in on time for when the PER Board sits lol

ObedientiaZelum said:
lol
I'd trust you not to  but how many times have you caught fat wimps dumping water or pitching blanks and pyro in the woods on halts  ;)

Actually all the people I caught doing this were skinny bad asses.  You know the type; fought in every bar from Gagetown to Wainwright, then only with the girls and never won a fight. >:D

fraserdw said:
Actually all the people I caught doing this were skinny bad asses.  You know the type; fought in every bar from Gagetown to Wainwright, then only with the girls and never won a fight. >:D

Good to know they come in all shapes and sizes.!!  lol.!

Back