• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BFT with a .50?!

blackberet17

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I met a guy the other day, and we chatted about his past days in the CF. He mentioned he used to do the BFT with the .50 cal in hand (I was out on a trail by home with my ruck, workup trg for my unit fall BFT). They'd pass it between each other during the march, but I just can't see it. You've already got your pers wpn, and now you get handed the .50 to carry for a bit?

I may also be extrapolating a bit, as he said the wpn weighed 30kg. He wasn't specific, but a pic on his mantle showed what looked like a .50. Nothing in the CF wpns inventory weighs 30kg, altho the .50 is close, at 38kg (58kg w/ tripod + T&E). I thought maybe the ERYX (he was Armd), but it weighs in at 17kg, or the TOW, but it only tops 22kg.

Input appreciated!

I know that C Bty 1 RCHA when they were part of the IRF(L) with 3 VP did do a BFT with crew served weapons in Wainwright one year. And that was .50 cals, C6s and Carl Gustavs in addition to pers weapons.

Tango18A said:
I know that C Bty 1 RCHA when they were part of the IRF(L) with 3 VP did do a BFT with crew served weapons in Wainwright one year. And that was .50 cals, C6s and Carl Gustavs in addition to pers weapons.

Geez. Surprised they didn't include the C2 105mm while they were at it...

The BFT with the (very light) load is the minimum fitness standard for land force IBTS. Doing a forced march with a realistic battle load makes good sense from a training perspective.

Tango18A said:

I was on that one.  3 VP was always 13 km from somewhere during those days.  We were trying to become JTF3...

:warstory:

The worst BFT 13 km march followed by fireman's carry was at the end (ie 15 minutes after endex) of a 4 day live fire trace during Ex Light Heavy Warrior (Light Coys and tanks).  We down-loaded ammo, but kept radios and all support weapons.  Longest BFT 13 km march followed by a fireman's carry I have ever done.

Brihard said:
The BFT with the (very light) load is the minimum fitness standard for land force IBTS. Doing a forced march with a realistic battle load makes good sense from a training perspective.

That's what I'm getting at. From a trg or workup perspective, sure, load me up. I know I'm going to hump more kit in real conditions and field situations than what is called for by the minimum standard. But for an actual BFT? Yikes.

The actual BFT calls for a personal weapon (C7, C8, etc, etc). You can't make someone carry a 50 and declare it to be an official BFT. You can call it a damn good PT session, but it is not a BFT.

Does this mean that we can expect future BFTs with the C16 CASW?  >:D

I remember the old 2x10's with pers weapon and Pl weapons. Us drivers thought we had it made with  the SMG but then the Carl G and the Gpig always seemed to make it down to the drivers and stay there after day 1.....  :warstory:

Back