• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big balloon over north Edmonton carries army camera

SARgirl

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting.

----------

Big balloon over north Edmonton carries army camera
By SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 18th September 2009, 12:06pm

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/09/18/10980806.html

A massive white balloon with an onboard camera is keeping watch over north Edmonton as part of army training efforts to detect insurgents planting bombs.

The balloon will remain over north Edmonton until the end of the month as part of an ongoing training exercise to observe, deter and defeat insurgents in Afghanistan who plant Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).

"If you can see it, it can see you,” said Capt. Robert Dona, the officer responsible for ensuring the system works.

The camera sends a steady stream of images down to computers on the ground where technicians monitor what the unblinking lens sees.

Fourteen Canadian Forces soldiers learning to use the system completed a week of classroom lectures last week and are now conducting the practical aspects of their training.

The balloon is one component of an elaborate package which, when combined is known as The Persistent Surveillance System (PSS).

According to Maj. Thomas Lee, head of the Aerospace Coordination Cell, 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, residents near CFB Edmonton may see the balloon intermittently in the sky over the garrison while the training lasts.

Its very intersting - somewhere out there is a pic of Gen Leslie`s grandfather Gen AGL McNaughton in an Arty spotting Balloon on the Western Front in WW1

in GOOGLE BOOKS type this in ------ > mcnaughton balloon

Then go to page 104

Innovation is the name of the game - incremental advantage

I wounder if there people in the Edmonton area will create the same hue and cry over the use of this balloon as they did in Sarnia, Ontario with the balloon along the USA boarder?

CTV.ca

Balloon controversy has yet to deflate at border
Updated Sat. Aug. 29 2009 8:22 PM ET

Geoff Nixon, CTV.ca News Staff

The controversy over a large, balloon-like aircraft remains afloat over the Ontario-Michigan border, where a group of Canadians remain perturbed about privacy concerns and some of their U.S. neighbours see an enticing economic opportunity.

The device is called an Aerostat, a Helium-inflated aircraft that looks like a flying wing and has been tested above the St. Clair River at various points this summer.

Equipped with a powerful camera that is reportedly worth $1 million, the aircraft has raised the ire of Sarnia residents who feel they are being watched from above without their consent.

more at link

If this was used in the field, couldn't they just shoot the thing down...?

Not if it's high enough. It would probably see whoever shot it down then a QRF could be sent out.

I wonder if the camera sees through tin foil, or if I'm going to have to get lead body armour when I'm out and about so they can't see or talk to me...

MM

medicineman said:
I wonder if the camera sees through tin foil, or if I'm going to have to get lead body armour when I'm out and about so they can't see or talk to me...

Hmm, not sure about tin-foil. But knowing the Camera operator-types, women of North Edmonton, be wary of where you take off your tops. ;D

kratz said:
I wounder if there people in the Edmonton area will create the same hue and cry over the use of this balloon as they did in Sarnia, Ontario with the balloon along the USA boarder?

I doubt it. It's quite a different thing to have a foreign nation potentially spying on your country than it is to have your own government test another tool for winning a current engagement.

Has anyone spotted the thing yet? I'll be in town this weekend and want to have a look.

Poseur said:
I doubt it. It's quite a different thing to have a foreign nation potentially spying on your country than it is to have your own government test another tool for winning a current engagement.

Not if the people think it's being used to spy on them by their own government - folks get a little testy over that as well.

MM

I can't seem to find pictures of the balloon.Is it tied to the ground?

How does it do in sandstorms?I can already see the balloon fabric being used as a roof on a Afghans tent. :nod:

Launch QRF the balloon blew down again.

Very interesting,can't wait to see some pics and stats.

From what I've seen so far is that it is in fact tied down, and it's only been floated a couple hundred feet. This is only what I've seen so far. I've only noticed it while on base, and not from in the city proper. If I recall correctly this is only being used to show the crews how to operate them properly, and they aren't focusing too much on the "lets spy on the city" aspect of it. I fear I'm drifting from my lane at this point, so I'm going to can it.

I was wondering what the deal was with that big white balloon on the soccer field all this week. Havent seen it today, so it must be up there somewhere!

This makes perfect sense, if we're trying to keep eyes on a certain areas (like MSRs the Taliban like to IED) than putting STANO eqpt on fixed masts or tethered balloons makes perfect sense. Far less resource intensive than 24/7 UAV cover. 

As for shooting the balloon down, I have no knowledge on this system but I doubt these would "pop" or deflate easily, even from taking small arms fire. Errant weather balloons, for example, have floated for weeks after being repeatedly strafed by fighter jets after they wandered into commercial air corridors, albeit that was at a much higher altitude.

If it is tied on to view a MSR we will need troops to guard the the anchors.So some troops will be taken off patrolling etc to sit stationary and guard a camera watching a road.Where do the troops come from?

I'm not trying to mr negativity here,and I am glad someone is thinking outside the box a bit.However before we commit this to Afghanistan I think we have to evaluate if we want people sitting stationary watching a road.And if we do where do we sacrifice the man power from.

Or does it sit anchored in the FOB's with it's own camera crew added to the orbat?

I hope the evaluation is well thought,and not pushed through due to it being a pet project of someone or something like that.If it adds to our ability to kill people I'm all for it.

X-mo-1979 said:
If it is tied on to view a MSR we will need troops to guard the the anchors.So some troops will be taken off patrolling etc to sit stationary and guard a camera watching a road.Where do the troops come from?

I'm not trying to mr negativity here,and I am glad someone is thinking outside the box a bit.However before we commit this to Afghanistan I think we have to evaluate if we want people sitting stationary watching a road.And if we do where do we sacrifice the man power from.

Or does it sit anchored in the FOB's with it's own camera crew added to the orbat?

I hope the evaluation is well thought,and not pushed through due to it being a pet project of someone or something like that.If it adds to our ability to kill people I'm all for it.

Or we could simply place some sort of weapons system up on this thing that could give it some aspect of defense. The predator/reaper system has shown just how useful a UAV with a weapons system can be.

Back