• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bike gears

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question about when to use high and low gears on a bike.  I understand when you shift to a lower gear, it makes it easier to pedal.  So is the low gear for going uphill and you change to a higher gear when going downhill? 

Hey

When I ride I try to keep the same cadence whether up hill, downhill or on the flats, so naturally when going up hill my chainring may get smaller and when goin downhill may go bigger!!!! 

Greywolf said:
I have a question about when to use high and low gears on a bike.   I understand when you shift to a lower gear, it makes it easier to pedal.   So is the low gear for going uphill and you change to a higher gear when going downhill?  

yes, that's what lower and higher gears are originally designed for.

personally i still find it harder to go uphill on a really low gear though.. lol

Basic rule to follow: If your legs are getting tired, use an easier gear. if your heart and lungs are getting tired, use a harder gear.

High gear is for going uphill isn't it because when its on high gear the wheel (chain) goes around more times with one petal making you go up the hill faster.

.canadas.finest. said:
High gear is for going uphill isn't it because when its on high gear the wheel (chain) goes around more times with one petal making you go up the hill faster.

If you are racing, and you are strong enough, then yes.  but if you want to take it easy, use a lower gear which will cause you to go slower.  When climbing, it is best to keep a high cadence (revolutions per minute)

Back