• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bloc Pissed at GG Comments in France

City States have existed in the past and still exist today.  The Vatican is a well known example.  Hong Kong was. 

Some have already contemplated separating Toronto from Ontario, and creating a new 'Province'.  Berlin during the Cold War, was in essence a City State/Province in the Federal Republic of Germany. 

Harley Sailor said:
what is stopping a city like TO or a small town like Noel from breaking away and forming their own nation?
well... their citzens would have to pay for a whole lot of services they might have taken for granted previously.
The other nation could concievably impose trade barriers and tarifs - and also prevent the city state's citzens from working in their country.... until all sorts of bilateral agreements have been hammered out.

In some ways Separation would create opportunities for progressive change and savings in the billions of dollars.  Canada could expropriate lands for the National Capital Region prior to 'Separation', to include Gatineau (Aylmer, Hull, etc.) and the Pontiac Region, creating a National Capital Region separate from the Provinces (like Washington DC) with a 100 mile radius from the Parliament buildings being deemed the necessary 'protection zone'.  All lands within that zone would be the National Capital. 

How many trees could we save for the Environmentalists if we didn't have to print everything in two or more languages? How much could be saved with there being no need to send all official documents off for Translation, only to find that the translators translated important portions of the documents incorrectly? 

It really is a silly debate, and one that the Bloc really don't look past their own greedy noses at.  Really!  If they weren't so self-centered, they would see how silly they look.

Can't look any sillyer than Mr Duceppe wearing that shower cap / hairnet during one of his campaigns.

George Wallace said:
Some have already contemplated separating Toronto from Ontario, and creating a new 'Province'.  Berlin during the Cold War, was in essence a City State/Province in the Federal Republic of Germany. 
Of the 16 states of the Federal Republic of Germany, three are "city states": Berlin, Bremen and Hamburg.
Berlin is larger in population than the state of Brandenburg, while Bremen boasts a mere 680 000 citizens.  So, they exist, for one reason or another.

If what you are doing is getting the Bloc pissed, it is likely good for Canada. If Quebec was to successfully separate, they would be screwing every Francophone outside of the province because interest in bilingualism will stop instantly. There will be an emotional backlash the likes this country has not seen for a long time.
Quebec then would have try to attempt to have labels printed in French for a mere 5 million people, that will be a significant cost to the economy. Also exactly who are they going to trade with, the only francophone economy worthwhile is France and the French aren’t all that keen to support their forgotten “love child” with anything more than lip service. The rest of the economies that speak French likely don’t even come close to Quebec’s GDP. If Toshiba is successful in selling their mini reactors, it could cut into the one major money maker they will have, hydro-electric.
Quebec will also have to negotiate with the First Nations and they are under no illusion about what the Quebec elite thinks of them, so that will consume huge resources and strife will be evident. To maintain peace and not to suffer breakaways they will have to sell the farm in my places, angering the Bloc supporters.
All of the immigrants coming in from Francophone countries will likely be more of a drain of resources than an resource bringer, plus they will be the wrong colour to fit in with the “real Quebecers” who will be forced to cut immigration to preserve  their own majority, whom the last time I looked where not even breeding enough to replace themselves. If a majority of immigrants take over without the elitists mentality they will look at the current state of affairs and say lets join Canada on a similar level we were at before, except they will be bargaining from a position of weakness.

- But once they are separate, all that will be their call.

-They will be about the size of Sweden.  If Sweden can make it...

From my perch out here in Alberta, "seperation" of Quebec never made a lot of sense to me.  The only way it could work is if a rich and powerful neighbour actively supported their nationalistic goals.  By "neighbour" I meant Canada - the US won't do it.

I have always thought that the threat of seperation was more useful to Quebec than the actual seperation would be.  I said it before - If the GG gets Ducceppes' nickers in a twist - she must be good at her job.  ;)

Now if what Quebec REALLY wants is seperation from Toronto - That's what we ALL want! 

( I figured that Alberta & BC, led by "King Ralph" would separate before Quebec ever did )

Geo,

That wouldn't make sense either, but it is weird how many Albertans think that way.
The problem is that many Albertans have never traveled east of Sask. and really have no idea how amazing ALL of this country really is.

same thing for the people of La Belle Province my friend.

People complain about some lack of freedom.... then they travel to other places around the world... puts things into perspective.  They come back with a much healthier respect for this great land called CANADA!

Chimo!

I never understood why a party that only caters to ONE province is considered a federal party and are allowed into the house.

Someone clue me in plz.

All in all, there is nothing wrong with them - in principle.
They are there to "advance" their province - looking after their own province's interests.
The fact that they do not belong to the party in power, they are either relegated to the backbenches where will never matter OR, in the case of minority governments, they can throw their weight FOR or AGAINST the party in power ... in exchange for a favour or two.

For a while the Canadian reform alliance party (CRAP) was pert much that very thing.... or at least perceived as that.

They could not have seriously picked that name and acronym... no wonder they did not last :D

sober_ruski said:
I never understood why a party that only caters to ONE province is considered a federal party and are allowed into the house.

Someone clue me in plz.

sober_ruski said:
So how come there's no Block BC or Block Alberta, etc?

The population in Alberta did not send anyone like that to Ottawa. They are free to do so of course. Like it or not ( an beleive me i hate the BQ) the people of Quebec are free to ellect and send whoever they wisht to Ottawa to represent them.

I was under impression that a federal party was suppose to (key word *suppose* :D) look after interests of the entire country, not just a single province.

Each individual BQ member represents the interests of hir/her constituents just like every single other MP in the house does.

Back