• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blood Typing

R

riddleofsteel

I already know what my blood type is, I‘m curious as to whether they look at existing health records or if the CF does its own confirmation. Do they do any blood testing to confirm during the recruiting process or during basic training (or even later on for that matter)?

They didn‘t for my medical, they just took my word for it. But, if you are unsure, doesn‘t hurt to get it recomnfirmed as it could be a life and death situation sometime down the road.

I was wondering about blood tests if any im sure that their is at least one to determine your blood type but do they do others on the personel like for hiv etc...?

The military has never given me a blood test. When it was time for me to be issued my ID discs, I had to donate blood to find out my blood type. Supposedly if you can get in contact with the hospital in which you were born, they might be able to check your blood types on the old records.

But if you feel you need to be tested...go see your doctor.

thanks i was only wondering because a friend of mine said that they make you go through a whole lotta blood tests and i hate needles (funny for a guy with tats lol :crybaby:

When going on deployments, you will be given several needles as vaccines to protect you from diseases in the theater you are engaged in

Will they need it when I get to basic? Should I just go to the doctor tomorrow and get it or will the docs at basic find out for me?

I had to get my own done. Cost about $25 at a diagnostic lab. Then you have to go to your doctor after and he will have the information. Since the it was for military use i claimed it and got the coin back.

I can't speak for the Reserves, but at St-Jean they'll draw blood.  I had no idea of my blood type until our dog tags were delivered.

Res doesnt draw blood, you need to provide that info on your own accord. Simply head to your local Doctor and he can draw it, ship it and get the results within a week (at least that was how it was in my case).

I was in the mall the other day, when the Red Cross was doing a blood drive. They told me my blood type, in about 3 minutes, and I only had to supply, a drop, the size of a standard diabetes test.

I second cgyflames: give blood. And, anyway, don't wait until you're joining the Army to find out what your blood type is! Cheers.

I'm going reg.

Thanks, I'll find out where theres a blood drive....thing is, I don't like needles  :-\

hoser is bang on. I knew my blood type when I got to St Jean and they still took blood so if you don't find out before you go, don't sweat it.

Believe me, you won't care about needles after they're done with you in St Jean. You'll get immunized for just about everything under the sun and they all come with nice needles. The most I got was 3 in a day and that was because I already had Hep B. The guys that didn't got 4 shots that day. Have fun!

Yeah, and they're quick with the needles, which is probably good for those that don't like them.  You come into the room, sit in a chair and before you know it *RIGHT ARM*, *LEFT ARM*, *RIGHT ARM*, *LEFT ARM*, and you're done. 

I used to be scared fo needles. But i got ina couple bad fights which cause my liver to bleed so i had to get weekly needles. That kinda cured me. Now i have tatoos and all.

I went to my family doctor to get my blood type. It didn't cost anything. Though they did take a lot of my blood. I think they donated some to the blood bank to get even.

We had blood taken this past summer in Meaford, I believe it was to be used to test our blood and how it reacts with mefloquine, so they know if we are able to take it on operations.

Back