• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ Training [MERGED]

Highland said:
My main plan is to join the RCMP <snip>

You may, or may not, find this discussion of interest,

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/32733.0
10 pages.

mariomike said:
You may, or may not, find this discussion of interest,

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/32733.0
10 pages.

That should be helpful.  Thanks

I have trained at both Aldershot and Gagetown and know people who completed their CAP/BMQL at Aldershot although I completed mine in Gagetown. The delivery of this course is under active review and based on the latest issue of the infantry journal it is now 11 weeks instead of 10 and will no longer be delivered in Mods. Whether that approach will prevail is uncertain given the critical shortage of trained officers in the reserves but that is the current information being communicated from the infantry school.

How do they compare in:
Difficulty Gagetown is harder
Quality of learning Depends on instructors, Gagetown is often but not always better
Facilities Gagetown
Resources Gagetown
Time off Aldershot typically will provide a more 9-5 schedule, although to some extent it is this way in garrison in Gagetown as well

Also I was wondering if we have weekends off while on these courses (one officer I talked to said it's 6 days a week) Previously if you were not in the field then weekends are off unless confined to barracks (expect that to happen especially at the start of course)

The few officers I've talked to strongly recommended Aldershot because it's an easier course and everyone parties on their off time. I'm not big on partying and Aldershot is quite a ways away from my home town so I'd probably not have much to do on time off but if I go to Gagetown then I could drive home on weekends. You are assuming that you get to choose; the army will likely make this choice for you...I would say that any combat arms officer should be hoping for Gagetown over Aldershot as it will enhance success on trades courses.

I'm hoping this course won't be like BMQ. I found that the the learning pace is incredibly slow, the course material is boring regulations instead of soldiering skills, the instructors are lacking knowledge about basic course material, the pt is pathetic, and the troops are unmotivated (not trying to sound like an a**hole). I can guarantee that you will be challenged on this course. It will be completely unlike BMQ in terms of expectations and I strongly encourage you to adjust your attitude because yes you do sound like a bit of an arrogant a**... PT will not be pathetic, you will have much to learn and much will be expected of you.

Training in Gagetown may provide you with better preparation for your trade training depending on what that is. Last summer they ran a platoon out of Gagetown that was exclusively infantry and I don't believe that prospective infantry officers were permitted to attend the course anywhere else.

BMQL/CAP is a good course and as long as the staff are good (and they typically are), and you commit yourself to the training, you will be well prepared for your future military career. With a slight attitude adjustment you will also end up having a lot of fun and make some great friendships. Best of luck.

Loch Sloy! said:
BMQL/CAP is a good course and as long as the staff are good (and they typically are), and you commit yourself to the training, you will be well prepared for your future military career. With a slight attitude adjustment you will also end up having a lot of fun and make some great friendships. Best of luck. [/color]

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough response.  It's nice to get some insight and up to date information.  That's a big help, thanks!

Slight derailment -- can anyone compare BMOQ-A in Meaford vs Gagetown?  I did Meaford and found it intense... but have no experience with Gagetown to compare against.

Just curious,

Mike5 said:
Slight derailment -- can anyone compare BMOQ-A in Meaford vs Gagetown?  I did Meaford and found it intense... but have no experience with Gagetown to compare against.

Just curious,

It's all a matter of perspective based on who you are and what you've done before to compare it to.

It's also different over time. I did it 2010... at that time there were 12 serials run through, so many that they were able to make a couple "Infantry-only" serials, "Combat Arms" serials, and "Other" serials. You might think the Infantry only serials were held to a way higher standard, and then Combat Arms, and then the rest.... I'm not sure that was true. The Infantry School is in Gagetown and responsible the CoE for this course, so they are able to monitor it pretty good here. There was quite a different focus though, that's for sure. I can tell you the "other" serials definitely got a lot more C.O.C.K., but the Infantry serials had a lot harder PT and the focus for inspections was on operational readiness of your kit vice inspecting if your t-shirts are folded correctly. I don't believe they do serials by trade anymore, it depends on numbers and it depends on the CO of the day.

Having done far harder courses and exercises, I would say BMOQ-L provided a decent challenge at the time, a good step between BMOQ and Ph III, but I would not say it was "intense." Is that how I felt as an OCdt going through it? Hard to say at this point.

Hello All,

I'm currently loaded onto BMOQ(A) (formerly known as BMOQ(L) or CAP) this summer from 29 May - 11 Aug in Wainwright. Does anyone have any idea on how this course will compare to the other serials being run in Gagetown or Aldershot? I've heard that Gagetown is pretty hardcore and they like to beast you, whereas Aldershot is very relaxed. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

I am also loaded on this course.

I haven't heard to many great things about wainwright...hoping for the Aldershot way!  [:)

spacey said:

I haven't heard to many great things about wainwright...hoping for the Aldershot way!  [:)

I have a buddy of mine who knows someone who did CAP in Wainwright... supposedly the course was a breeze. Obviously it mainly depends on the staff, and whether or not they are PPCLI or brought in from somewhere.

At the end of the day, what really matters is the quality of training

spacey said:

In reality, you are likely going to be so busy on course that it really won't matter where you are specifically.  My first year or two in Wainwright for Exercises and Courses had me intimately familiar with the Training Area, while knowing next to nothing about the town (or even the Base to a great extent).

Does anyone have access to the QS/TP for BMOQ-L (BMOQ-A) in pdf format (or any soft format)? I'm looking for the suggested task list for the EO's/EC's. I have requested this info from my local ULO office (twice now) without success and the searches on the DIN (when I had access) only resulted in a proposed QS/TP from 2014 which had not been approved (at the time of searching). I'd rather reference an approved copy then a proposed one for a PLAR request. Feel free to PM. Thanks for any time or assistance provided.

Hi All,

Apologies if there is a thread somewhere regarding this but I have done my best to sift through the threads and I have not seen anything.

I will be heading to BMOQ-A (27 May) this summer and I was hoping to get a outline of the curriculum( week to week or even day to day if it exists). I have already seen what I believe to be the outdated 10 week / 5 module outline and I am curious what the extra week that was added some years ago consists of and how the 11 weeks are divvied up now. I was hoping to gain a sense of what sort of field time to expect (longest field ex?) and any surprises that may lie in store. Any advice is appreciated on what to expect, how to prep, what to look out for, etc...

I was also hoping to gain some insight into standards they expect for PT when you arrive and what kind of distance we will be expected to run and at what pace. I understand that every course/training platoon is different but I am just looking to get a sense of standards for a infantry/combat arms training platoons and if there will be any swimming within PT or elsewhere within the course, barring the inevitable wading through Gagetown swamps that I will be doing.

Final Question regarding non-issued kit (and once again I understand it is very dependent on my staff), would staff be likely to object to having the back panel of the tac-vest replaced with the water bladder holder that CP gear makes (http://www.cpgear.com/create_products/Tac-Vest-Hydration-Harness?c=2493578&dp=2&n=30575396&pn=1) on arrival/while we are in garrison?

Thanks in Advance and if there exists recent threads addressing these topics than I would appreciate being directed to them.

Back