• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ 8 Jan Borden- Who's going?

Thanks Greyman for the facts!  Paints a clear picture on how things will be in a few days!  Can't wait!  Thanks again for the skinny. 

grayman said:
To continue Borden takes in and trains reservists in the summer on a condensed 8 week package,  a lot of training is to be completed at the home unit before coming to Borden for BMQ, for example such stuff as first aid training, serving in a diverse enviroment, so on and such the like, as to shave off 5 weeks, for the first four or five weeks, you will also be required to work six day weeks, and I beleive also evenings, it is pretty much force fed to you with a fire hose........all good. There is also two platoons of strictly francophone courses running during the summer as well, it is hectic at best.

Borden also runs the Chaplain's BOTC from September to December.

I am also aware of the Chaplains BOTC, I was just refering to the courses we run at our school, all we run is BMQ, and I was laying out some info for those who are on their way for that course only, I apologise for leading anyone astray. 
At any given time Borden is full of courses ongoing from FCS, weapons techs, medic, cook, AVN, AVS.....the list is endless.  Borden is basically just one big training base, there are always troops here on some form of course.

To continue Borden takes in and trains reservists in the summer on a condensed 8 week package,  a lot of training is to be completed at the home unit before coming to Borden for BMQ, for example such stuff as first aid training, serving in a diverse environment, so on and such the like, as to shave off 5 weeks, for the first four or five weeks, you will also be required to work six day weeks, and I believe also evenings, it is pretty much force fed to you with a fire hose........all good. There is also two platoons of strictly francophone courses running during the summer as well, it is hectic at best.

Actually...a reservist who wants to do his BMQ has 2 possibility.

1- part time given by his unit or brigade (In Quebec at least)
2- He can do it full time for 4 weeks plus 2-3 week of SQ if I remember correctly (so far for the SQ it was told to me but...I have to go trought BMQ before so my mind set it asside. )

but the reservist who choose (or offered) to do it summer time...will have more challenge then doing it part time... due to the follow up he can have on PT (just to name this one), and on other thing.

For a Part-time week end course..it is probably a little easier because you will end up sleeping home on every sunday at least.

mysteriousmind

- fyi, there are plenty of other threads on here that given solid (and in-lane) information on the choices for BMQ in the reserves....

when is the latest we have to show up? in the manual it reads the sunday at 10am latest. but in the recruiting centre we were told 3pm saturday.

There's two of us from Edmonton that are set to arrive at 1845 at building T159, then report to T127.

ICEDEAR said:
when is the latest we have to show up? in the manual it reads the sunday at 10am latest. but in the recruiting centre we were told 3pm saturday.

Mithras said:
Go with what you were told at the recruiting center.

:rofl:

......The blind leading the blind.....

cdnaviator said:

Essentially, but one would think that if you were advised by someone in authority to be at a place at a certain time you should be there at that time.

Just to confirm what was said earlier regarding BMQ starting 2 weeks after the Jan. 8th date. I just recieved my call and am starting BMQ in Borden on Jan. 22nd.

Sweet!  Congrats dirtyjob, we'll see you around, should be the guy in green with a week two patch on.  Be friendly and say hi!  ;)  Cheers!

cdnaviator said:

Might be a good time to ask a clarification...

"MCpl, the "book"  (I beleive you mean Joining Instructions) specify that I must arrive no later than 10:00 Sunday, however our past instructions from the CFRC have mentioned 1400 Saturday... Could you confirm which is the correct instruciton?"

In regards to reporting in you will report when the recruiting centre told you to, its a safe bet.  There will be troops coming in from all over Canada at different times depending on their flight times.  Sunday is the absolute last time to report in because the course officially starts on the Monday, it all depends on you, are you the type of person that wants to "ease" into it, or are you the type that likes to show up last minute and be in a "speed wobble" for the first day or so.  If in doubt do what the "book" says, and then you will be alright. 
Good luck !! (cue ominous music.......)

Regardless of what time you happen to show up on the weekend, there will be someone to "greet" you, and point you in the right direction.

Mithras said:
Essentially, but one would think that if you were advised by someone in authority to be at a place at a certain time you should be there at that time.

Higgins?  Is that you?  (for those that remember THAT show...)  ;D

Well, I just found out about this link through another website with members chatting about the upcomming Jan serials in Borden.

It's too late for the first 2 serials but for the 2 commng through later in the month. Have fun, I'll see you on the other side of the fence.

Is there BMQ at Borden and St. Jean ? ... do you have a choice which place you take it ?

Mithras said:
So am I to assume that I/we should be on the look out for certain personnel?

No...they'll be keeping an eye on you!  Perhaps from above....at night, with NVGs.....  ;)

(play more of Grayman's ominous music...)

p.s.  Junior, please tell me you didn't just ask that question after reading the pages of this post and doing a "search" for BMQ!

Back