• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ and School

scaddie

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody has had experience juggling a winter BMQ course, and school at the same time. Hopefully I will get to do my basic starting in November, and from what I was told, it'll be alternating weekends. I'm worried about my marks in school, as this is my last year. Will it have much of an impact?

It all depends on how you organize your time.  If you can set aside enough time to properly complete assignments, and if you make sure you get enough sleep during the week, then I don't see why you wouldn't be abe to handle it.

I know guys who worked two jobs during high-school, they did alright. Hell, some of them did better than what they did before they had jobs, as it forced them to organize themselves.

You are going the same route I am, starting school next week... and also hoping to do infantry reserves while in school (if they'd call me! :D)

You might have a better idea of the workload this being your last year... you have an idea of what to expect for school.

I know for instance tuesdays I only have one class, so thats my homework day  8)

What unit are you applying for?

Scaddie said:
I was just wondering if anybody has had experience juggling a winter BMQ course, and school at the same time. Hopefully I will get to do my basic starting in November, and from what I was told, it'll be alternating weekends. I'm worried about my marks in school, as this is my last year. Will it have much of an impact?

I did it during my first year of university, my marks suffered, particullarly because what was supposed to be every second weekend became every weekend when two weekends in a row were postponed because of snow, and then they added an extra five days to the course.... biggest probem was I was constantly tired during the week because I was working or in school 7 days a week for nearly 3 months.

ooooeeee a coal miner :D

i used to live in nova scotia, sydney.

well good luck on that, did you do all your tests etc yet?

Nope. Nothing yet. I applied about a month ago, and was told I"d be called back in September sometime.

well that sucks... do you have anything to hold back your medical file once its done?

if they havent even setup appointments for your interview, med test, PT and apptitude it would be a blessing if you got in before the end of the year :D

at least from my experience thus far

I am going to be doing the fall BMQ in Halifax (I am joining 3 Int Company), in addition I will also be going to Saint Mary's full time. However I still live at home and will be planning to quit my current civvy job. I am pretty sure if it's just reserves and school I can handle it. We'll see how it goes. I know I'll be getting a pay cut since I wont have as many hours in the reserves but thankfully I'm at home for now so I don't have to worry about rent and food bills just yet.

I'd suggest talking to your teachers about this. What I've discovered over the last few months is that teachers are fairly understanding in matters relating to the Army. I had to go down to CFRC during school more than once last year and my teachers let me make up my marks for days I missed and such. Hopefully when I start BMQ in October I'll have more time to do assignments in class or maybe have a day of extension. Then again I could always do it on Sunday nights. We'll see.

Most assignments (or at least the ones I receive at Meadowvale Secondary) are either in-class (which means even if you wanted to work on them at home, you couldn't), or are due in a few classes meaning you'd have nearly a week to finish it.   Other paper homework can be completed the day it's assigned.   Again, this is from my experience in high school (I'll be in grade 11 on September 7), whether it works this way across Ontario or the Country I don't know, this is just how it works with me.

Besides if your BMQ will be being done every other weekend (or every weekend depending on a situation you may find yourself in, such as Sig Op's) then that means you still have 5 days beforehand to complete all homework / assignments, maybe even some time to review...and depending on which day you are assigned these things (and seeing as how it's high school) I don't see why completing homework before the weekend would be a problem.

As for teachers understanding this kind of situation, yes, some will give exceptions, others will say it's your responsibility to complete homework assigned for the day it's due for, since joining the Army was your choice.   This was the case with my English teacher last year...I had a 3 day hockey tournament which means I missed a Friday on which an essay was due.   I was told that I would have no extension and would have to hand it in a class early.   I know hockey and military aren't the same thing, but my point is some teachers will not make exceptions.

AGAIN...this is with my experience.

yea, as it is tuesdays I only have one class... and i figure my teachers won't mind one day missed.

as it is we miss a week sometime spread out, doing security detail for some competitions.... ahh the joys of police in training :D

True true. I guess it won't be that bad, provided I do get in. I was "guarenteed" by my recruited that I would be in for November...but uh, if things keep going this way, it doesn't look too good.

Twelve, so if I blow it this year with marks, it makes a big difference.

yea, but when i was trying to get into SUMMER bmq... on a slim chance they had told me if I dot all my I's and Cross all my T's there was a chance I could get squeezed in...

then that got thrown out the window to 'oh you'll make it into sept for sure'

to now looks like november, if I get my PT done within the next few weeks.

It's kinda the same deal with me Scaddie, accept I'm going in to grade 11...but 11 and 12 are the crunch years so in a way we're both in the same boat regarding importance of marks and stuff.  But being in grade 12 don't you have spares (periods where you have no class)...I know in grade 12 (since I didn't take spares in grade 11, and assuming I pass all my courses this year) I'll have two spares next year which means I'll only have 5 or 6 classes as opposed to 8, meaning less homework and more time to concentrate on the courses I am taking.

Is this how it is at your school too?

Yeah , I do have frees. I'll just have to make productive use of my free time!

pfft, productive use of time DOES include drinking heavily during leactures right?

and practicing your Escape And Evasion techniques during unwanted classes

:threat:

LOL...the only lecture I get in high school is when I don't have homework done for homework check...

As for your escape route from an unwanted class, then why even show up in the first place...lol :D

Back