• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ AUG 21 - St. Jean

techie said:
500 words... how am i going to fit my exhilarating and wonderfull life into 500 words.... ::)
I would follow that mind set Mud, but 11 hours... i ned something to do in that 11 hours

Sleep, talk to people (they may be the last civie's you talk to in a looooooooong time...or people that call you by your first name not your last  ;D).

Look out the window, and enjoy the last 11 hours of "doing nothing" cause you have 11 weeks of being BUSY and...during week 2, you may find yourself thinking back and wishing you did sweet-f**k-all those 11 hours... ;D

Why aren't you flying techie?  Dear lord...I understand the put my life into 500 words dilemma...and I am alot older than you are... ;D

I am a doer...some people I know are procrastinators  ::)...aren't they...I like to get things done asap...eases the mind as well....

HL

I must identify myself because of nature of this thread and my job. I’m Sgt L. Warawa of Division B, Instructor Cadre, CFLRS. You all will have the opportunity to bump into me in the Mega no doubt.

First off, this thread was great. Excellent to see the enthusiasm and the hopes enunciated here by hopeful future recruits. I’m impressed with the positive foreknowledge of the CF in general you’ve shown, and I liked hearing that your are actively (meaning physically) getting ready.

I stumbled onto you all a bit late, but I’ll offer two dire chunks of advice that you may still have time to insure they’ve been squared away. This would also be my chance to inform others so they can insure they are ready. Here it goes:

1) Get into shape. Hey, if you have doubts about your fitness now there still are 8 days left, and if you commit to two runs of your best effort daily you just might get past the Express Test. You must be doing as many push-ups and sit-ups as you can by now, as often as you can. Chin-ups would be good as well. The policy now is that if you fail the Shuttle Run we will send you home and you can re-apply in 6 months. That’s a waist of your tax dollars though, isn’t it? Besides this small point, most of the injuries we see that potentially take you off-course are caused by being physically un-prepared for the course. That’s why you should arrive in the best shape you can.
2) Make sure you have your finances in order. This career is like any job in that you will not be getting a pay-check right away. You will need the money suggested to purchase what you need here for course materials. Things like boot-bands, an Iron, the proper locks. You need them and you will have to buy them. You need to insure that anyone left behind, be it wife or husband, kids, family, will have adequate finances available. You do not need the distraction of having to do extra admin while your course is learning. Bring extra money if possible, or better yet have your money in a debit-card accessible account you can access through normal banking machines.

I could give a lot more advice, but what the Recruiting office gave you is bang-on: follow it. HAVE the Course documentation given you so far available IMMEDIATELY as you exit the Taxi when you arrive at the Mega. If you have brought your own car, and we discourage this, you MUST insure you follow instructions for parking it. If you didn’t get any, ASK. I recommend only a normal haircut, nothing radically military unless you know the dress regulations because we will insure you have a haircut within days of arriving and you may be wasting your money. Unless you are sure of what you need to buy, do not waste you money by pre-purchasing things.

Your course starts on the 21st, eh? Good luck to you all and welcome to one of the most rewarding professions there are. Any of the long-serving posters can tell you that there are exiting times and opportunities awaiting you.

This thread has some interesting prospects. Perhaps something can be done to for future recruits or prospective. That isn’t my job but I will pass that one my CofC. For the old snots who remember Cornwallis, this isn’t it, a fact you already know. But what you don’t know is that these future prospects will be learning a lot of the tactical and field applications some of you didn’t see until you were on tour. Things in the field in Farnham are VERY different from what you remember. It would be a bit of an education for all serving members to hear from these future recruits as they go through their course, wouldn’t you agree?

the shuttle run is the only aspect of BMQ i am worried about.... 6 months...

what oes the shuttle run consist of?

Thanks for that post Warpig! Techie you worried about that too? I can't remember who but someone explained it to me as your doing a shuttle run to a buzzer, got to make it to a certain point before the buzzer. Don't take this as set in stone though as I can't verify this as first hand knowledge. I just hope all the running and biking will get me through it as I would rather not have to reapply in six months.

As for the autobiography I sat down and finished it yesterday and over shot the 500 easily. I hope I wont have to redo it because I went over 500 though or I will be doing the next draft in point form. Five days left guys can't wait to meet you all!

Thank you for that heads up, Sgt Warawa.
I am sure I speak for many when I say we appreciate you taking the time to inform us of these two pieces of advice.

Techie, if the shuttle run is anything like the one the reg force members have to do for their express test, your best bet is to contact your local base gym and ask them. I am contacting mine tomorrow and can post the description tomorrow, if you like?

Please. Unfortunate for me running is more of psychology thing then a physical thing, and i just went out for a run, and my mind just kicked the sh*it out of me. Its So hard for me to run alone that it probably does more harm then good.

Okay , to start..

Sgt. Warawa :

Thank you for the advice it will be taken into some very serious consideration by all of us who are leaving for BMQ rather soon. Im sure we  all appreciate the time you have taken to let us know about these things. It helps , and it also scares us , lol.

About the Beep Test :

Guys , don't get to TOO freaked out about it where you can't stop thinking about it every day until you leave. If you are running ( practise sprinting and breathing techniques as well ) you should do JUST FINE on the beep test. I mean come on , we are the first to do this test and we wont be the last. And if you can't pass a Beep Test.. well , WHAT ARE YAH DOIN' IN THE MILITARY ANYWAYS!! Dont you KNOW theres running? Ha ha. Just CHILL.. RUN... and be HAPPY and EXCITED that you have been chosen for the military in the first place and be confident in everything you do. It's only... what? 10-20 minutex , this Beep Test? Thats only 20 minutes of your life you have to freakin push like theres no tomorrow and ' git er done ' ( I read that off of a truck and thought , wow , thats super inspirational Ha ha! )

As for Techie , running alone is definetley not the same as running with a supportive platoon. You will have Mcpl's up your arse screaming at you , most people tend to NOT STOP!  Grin Just think of it as a big Rottie about to bite your behind! If you are TRYING and out there running , you should have no problems. They arent there to purposley fail you!

Kudos on everyones Swearing In and hopefully I see most of you at the Bistro within our time there.

G'luck ,

JESSO

Hey guys........take the worrying of the beep test out of your mind right now.  Seriously..........The chainsmoking chubbies on my course did it just fine and so can you!!
  Steve :cdn:

I wouldn't worry about the beep test either.  You will have to do things that are allot more difficult in your military career then a stupid shuttle run.  I'm an out of shape, short fat guy (5'2" tall, 155lbs) and I ran a 7.5 before I started to breath heavy and the PSP staff was looking at me like sheesh is he ever going to finish, I need my coffee break!!  ( It was 7:30am)  I generally score a 9.5 when I have gotten back into decent shape, but as I was running alone and you only have to get a 6 to pass I figured that I shouldn't keep her here any longer then necessary.  Besides it is so much more fun when you have a group to run against and you see all the really out of shape people drop out around level 4.  Now for me the BFT / 13km rucksack march with FFO scares me ...darn short legs!!

....on the other hand though I should mention to make sure you can do the pushups!!  There were two people in my platoon that did not graduate with the rest of us because they could not do the minimum amount of pushups required.  Also the PSP in St Jean are very picky with the pushups during the test.  They want to see each one done PERFECT. 
  During my basic, the little thing I did every night ( to make sure I didn't lose my pushup count) was when lights went out at 11........drop down and pump out 20-25 before you go to sleep.
  Cheers

A good idea is to play Push Up Poker when you are there and before.  Whatever card you get - you do that amount of push ups.

Sit ups too.

Thanks for all the support everyone, and you have alleviated my worries(for the most part). I am glad that i am about to start this new journey in my life, and I'm am glad i am going to share this experience with all of you going to be there.

Everyone  :salute: see you there.

Well, the time has come.
I depart Hfx tomorrow morning at 0630hrs to start this new life experience.
Not sure if I am the only one feeling this way, but it feels like everything is going by me in ultra fast speed today.

Anyways, everything is packed, and all paper work filled out, so I am ready to go. Everything on the home front is sorted out as best as I can do before leaving them all on their own.

I'll see you all tomorrow or Monday!

Good luck to you all and have fun...
Jesso...nice article and pic of you and your family in the Sunday Herald here in NS  ;)

HL

Again best wishes to you all and I will be there soon enough  :salute:

osjesso said:
Yay! Im a Skinny Chainsmoker! No worries. Lol!
Apparently now having checked this thread after leaving it alone for a bit, I have made the personal acquaintance of one OS Jesso! Because of the memorial Services in Pet I’m missing the next Inspection but I’m going to be sure to check on our chain smoker to insure proper use of the Mouthwash that is regulated to be in each locker layout! This has been an interesting thread for me.
I’ll ask her if she can find the time to continue to thread, just to let you all know howzits been going.

warpig said:
I’m going to be sure to check on our chain smoker to insure proper use of the Mouthwash that is regulated to be in each locker layout!

LOL...well everytime she is out at the break area when I am there, her breath is minty fresh!  ;D

Jesso is a hoot to be around...great girl and full of energy.

Well howdy ho folks!!

This little lady is live from St Jean for thw weekend .. yip yip woo hoo!! We are just getting onto our 5th week , after this wonderful weekend of course. Well... I had the luxury to meet Springroll!! Where are you this weekend! Ha ha. Ill come back to base around noon to find you hun!  Shes a wonderful girl , riot to be with and sure does ease some of the tension of being in the Mega.

Whats it been like...    Interesting. It`s alot more physical then I thought , so if your about to come here... strap your shoes on and make sure yah go running. Sleep deprived.. catchin up to it this weekend! I asked one of my co workers how you could sum up the last 4 weeks... and he said ` h .. e.. l... `well you get the point. Inspections are hare , no matter what you do its never good enough. But you keep trying harder and harder everytime. This place definetly makes you grow a thick skin. I found living with other girls to be actually exceptionally hard as well. Something I never thought would be a daunting task at all , but it is! You have to live with alot of different personalities that may not be even close to yours. Thats what the military is all about though , this place teaches great life lessons and hopefully by the time I leave I am not a girl but a woman.

All is well , apparently I found out on the obstacle course I am afraid of heights too! Anyways! Goin to enjoy the rest of my weekend! Take care everyone!!

And yes Warpig , there will be proper use of my mouthwash at all times!

Hey Amy! Good to hear you're doing well. I'm on duty right now and it sure is boring, but I didn't think I'd encounter you right now over army.ca!

The long October weekend, thanksgiving - you're coming up to stay at my place for a while right? RIGHT? I'll come down to St Jean to pick you up provided you're all good and get it off!

I may or may not still be on duty for then, remains to be seen. At the least you'll be able to spend a few days here and I'll show you around Pet. Hopefully everything goes well for you and your course and I'll see you in October

You're doing good, and you seem in great spirits, keep up the good work and just think that Christmas is fast approaching and we'll be heading home on the same flight together!

Back